Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126301 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »
A completely discharged battery takes approximately 90 minutes to charge (via the USB ports on a 2014 MacBook Pro).

good to know a quick 15 minutes with a portable charger at setbreak seems like more than enough to carry you thru a second set
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
Thanks, Sebastian, for the detailed report! This all sounds very promising, especially that long battery life.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 06:53:40 AM »
Excellent comparative review - thanks!

I know that most participants here regard use of built in mics with horror, but it might none the less be interesting if you were able to somehow compare the three in that respect.  As is well known here, my opinion of the M10 mics is that the sound is good but the stereo image is useless.  The Roland I think has the same mic design as the M10 (I am open to correction!).  The A10 has cardioid mics that have a fighting chance of producing a stereo image - but maybe they sound crap for all that.  Any comments?

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
I'd also be curious to hear a side-by-side comparison of the M10 and A10, with similar inputs. Does the new device have the same built-in preamp quality, despite being only a single jack for both mic and line in?

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
I'd also be curious to hear a side-by-side comparison of the M10 and A10, with similar inputs. Does the new device have the same built-in preamp quality, despite being only a single jack for both mic and line in?

I'm planning on doing that comp next. I don't think the single jack vs. multiple jacks thing has anything to do with the quality. To put it another way: We do not know that the M10 had separate preamps on the two separate inputs. And we don't know that the A10's input goes to a single preamp. Since it is switchable between Mic and Line input, it could theoretically also route to two separate preamps (although I highly doubt that).

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

I'm planning on doing that comp next. I don't think the single jack vs. multiple jacks thing has anything to do with the quality. To put it another way: We do not know that the M10 had separate preamps on the two separate inputs. And we don't know that the A10's input goes to a single preamp. Since it is switchable between Mic and Line input, it could theoretically also route to two separate preamps (although I highly doubt that).

All very likely, but I'm still eager to hear how your next comp comes out.

I am getting tempted to sell one of my M10s and buy an A10 so I can do some side-by-side tests myself...

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2018, 02:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the detailed report, Sebastian! Looking forward to hearing an M10/A10 comparison! But this looks like a great option for stealthing to move on from the M10.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »
I took the A10 out to a festival the last two days and am really impressed with it. It worked perfectly and being able to control it with the iOS app is really nice. The A10 never left my pocket the whole weekend.

I also did a comparison against the PCM-M10. Like last time, this is the same signal fed to both the A10 and M10 via a splitter cable.

This is Father John Misty and I deliberately picked a song that has some dynamics:
https://we.tl/t-sCwTc1h4lT

In case you don't like the Father, maybe the Flaming Lips are more to your liking:
https://we.tl/t-LuM6M9B2Yq

So what do you guys think?

Online nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
Sounds outstanding to me. I can't discern any difference at all.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
Sebi does it seem to be more metal detector proof than the M-10.  I have a bunch of Tascam DR-2D's and like the recorder but if the mic pre-amp is any good this may be the recorder to run with a babynbox for extreme security shows.  The ios app does me no good since I am an apple is food / android user.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »
Sebi does it seem to be more metal detector proof than the M-10.  I have a bunch of Tascam DR-2D's and like the recorder but if the mic pre-amp is any good this may be the recorder to run with a babynbox for extreme security shows.  The ios app does me no good since I am an apple is food / android user.

I have no means to properly test that, but the A10 feels way lighter and less metal than both the M10 and DR-2d (comparable to the remote of my Samsung TV).

I do have a hyper sensitive metal detector at home that I use on walls before drilling holes in them to make sure there are no pipes or wires. Both the M10 and A10 get picked up by it, but so are the rivets on my jeans. ;)

However, since no venues around here have MDs I can't really test it in a real world scenario. There are two big venues in Berlin that have MDs now, but I almost never ever tape there because usually the same shows come to Munich or Zurich (both way closer to me).

There is an Android app, too. And judging from the screenshots on the Google Play store, it looks identical to the iOS one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:25:59 PM by Sebastian »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 12:05:56 AM »
Thx. I am sure thee will be some reports here in the US where they are everywhere.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
Does the A10 have a lock all feature?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »
Does the A10 have a lock all feature?

It has a hold switch that is combined with the power switch, similar to the M10. It locks all buttons, but the unit can still be controlled via the bluetooth app.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com