Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best stealthable 24bit device?  (Read 13979 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best stealthable 24bit device?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »
FWIW - I switched from a SD 702 to a MR-1 because I think the MR-1 sounds as good as the SD 7xx series and possibly even better in DSD format.   I have an array of external pre-amps so I don't need nor prefer the sound of the SD 7xx series pre-amps to my pre-amps so it was not worth the extra money to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:27:02 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »
I'm not saying that I think the Korg is a bad unit, but as far as handheld units go, I personally see an internal harddrive as more of a  liability these days because a) it's a power hog compared to similar designed compact flash-based units, b) more moving parts usually means more that might go wrong.  (One fairly meaningless-to-this-thread point of reference is that the SD702 lasts 7 to 8 hours on a NPF975 battery, while the 722 lasts 4 to 5 hours.)

So, while I don't own an R-09HR, I do own a Marantz PMD-620.  It lasts almost 5 hours on 2 AAs and I'm currently writing to a 16GB SD card...but 32GB cards work as well.  If I were to do it over, I'd get the R-09HR (since they're out now, but weren't when I bought the 620) which is known to have a very low noise floor, although some people have told me that my 620 has the same guts as the R-09 (really don't know if that's true or not tho.)

Don't intend to diss any MR-1 owners...just trying to offer an opinion on why I didn't go with the Korg.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
"If I were to do it over, I'd get the R-09HR...which is known to have a very low noise floor..."

There are lots of reasons to purchase the R-09HR over the PMD620, but I don't think there's much difference in noise floor.  If you look at Guysonic's graphs you see that the two recorders have similar results.  The PMD620 even looks to have fewer digital spikes in the noise floor.   Both are acceptable for recording loud music.

Guysonic's graphs of the PMD620
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91816.msg1265738.html#msg1265738

Guysonic's review of the R-09HR
http://www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm

Flintstone

Offline graemecogger

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Graeme's Galleries
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
There are lots of reasons to purchase the R-09HR over the PMD620...

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of those reasons?  I've been considering buying the PMD620 for my wife, as it seems really easy to use.  Cost in the UK is about the same between those 2.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
"If I were to do it over, I'd get the R-09HR...which is known to have a very low noise floor..."

There are lots of reasons to purchase the R-09HR over the PMD620, but I don't think there's much difference in noise floor.  If you look at Guysonic's graphs you see that the two recorders have similar results.  The PMD620 even looks to have fewer digital spikes in the noise floor.   Both are acceptable for recording loud music.

Guysonic's graphs of the PMD620
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91816.msg1265738.html#msg1265738

Guysonic's review of the R-09HR
http://www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm

Flintstone

What about the noise on the line-in preamp? There are so many curves in Guysonic's graphs, that I am not quite sure which is the line's. Are there spikes on it too?

In my case I would always use a preamp/mixer to go in, so the internal mic preamp is not so interesting to me. Particularly not being balanced.

stevetoney

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 02:06:26 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of those reasons?  I've been considering buying the PMD620 for my wife, as it seems really easy to use.  Cost in the UK is about the same between those 2.

Funny...I came back to this thread to ask the same question because I'm curious and wondering if I should trade the 620 in on an R-09HR. 

In favor of the 620 is unlimited SD card size.  Apparently, the R-09HR is limited to 8GB.  Since I attend at least one festival a year, this is a consideration...it would be nice not having to worry about inventorying 4 or 5 tiny little 8GB SD cards.  On the plus side for the R-09HR is that it records up to 24/96 (the 620 only goes to 24/48), although that's irrelevant for me since I record at 24/48.  In terms of features, these are the obvious differences that I can see, so I'm hoping Flintstone that you can give a summary of the internals and why the R-09HR may be a better unit than the 620. 

Thanks!

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »

Funny...I came back to this thread to ask the same question because I'm curious and wondering if I should trade the 620 in on an R-09HR. 

In favor of the 620 is unlimited SD card size.  Apparently, the R-09HR is limited to 8GB.  Since I attend at least one festival a year, this is a consideration...it would be nice not having to worry about inventorying 4 or 5 tiny little 8GB SD cards.  On the plus side for the R-09HR is that it records up to 24/96 (the 620 only goes to 24/48), although that's irrelevant for me since I record at 24/48.  In terms of features, these are the obvious differences that I can see, so I'm hoping Flintstone that you can give a summary of the internals and why the R-09HR may be a better unit than the 620. 

Thanks!

Nope, the R-09HR can use up to 32GB SDHC cards.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:22 AM »

Thanks!

Hi Tonedeaf,

How are you? Well, I'm not saying that you should trade your 620 for a R-09HR, but, to my ears, the 620 doesn't even come close to the old R09 in sound quality. I know because I own both. No electronic info here, just what my ears says. That being said, the R-09HR sounds better than the R09. I bought my 620 like 6 months ago (regrets :banging head:)
Please understand: I'm not saying bad things about your gear. I'm criticizing my own gear and purchase decisions  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:34:56 AM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:55 AM »
It's definitely sounding like the R-09HR is the answer to this thread's question
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

stevetoney

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »
That being said, the R-09HR sounds better than the R09. I bought my 620 like 6 months ago (regrets :banging head:)
Please understand: I'm not saying bad things about your gear. I'm criticizing my own gear and purchase decisions  ;D

Don't worry about it.  I'm living with my decisions.  I made that decision when the R-09HR wasn't available and I had owned an R-09 before, but I was kinda pissed at Edirol for a) putting out a product that had the lousy line in jack and b) my own R-09 was nearly freaking impossible to get batteries in and out of.  I know most people said that they didn't have problem with that STOOOOOPID battery design and I would agree _IF_ the battery compartment slid nice and freely.  But the one I had was sticky as all hell and it made it a MAJOR PITA to get batteries in and out of.  In fact, I felt as if I was literally forcing plastic in order to get the thing open and I just knew that at some point in time that I was gonna break something just getting the battery compartment open and closed.  So, for me that was THE major design flaw of the R-09.

Anyway, the 620 does serve my purposes as a bitbox though so I'm not sorry with my decision, but I'd still probably rather have the R-09HR if I had my druthers right now.

stevetoney

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
Nope, the R-09HR can use up to 32GB SDHC cards.

Thanks for the info Ben.  I was on a specific dealers website that said it only took up to 8GB...although I don't remember offhand which site it was!

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
Well, the unit has been mentioned already, but all I can say is that I am very satisfied with my Edirol R-09HR. I used to use an iRiver iHP 120 and the R-09HR is definitely an upgrade in terms of sound quality recording in 24 bit. It's good for undercover missions. However, there are flashing red LEDs that flash on the top and front side of the unit that can be "limited" but never (as far as I know) completely shut off. It is fussy with SDHC cards...it "corrupted" my 8gb Transcend card while formatting inside the unit.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Well, the unit has been mentioned already, but all I can say is that I am very satisfied with my Edirol R-09HR. I used to use an iRiver iHP 120 and the R-09HR is definitely an upgrade in terms of sound quality recording in 24 bit. It's good for undercover missions. However, there are flashing red LEDs that flash on the top and front side of the unit that can be "limited" but never (as far as I know) completely shut off. It is fussy with SDHC cards...it "corrupted" my 8gb Transcend card while formatting inside the unit.

Same thing happened to me. Moved to Kingston and never had problems again, ever.
The red lights you mentioned are, I suppose, the Peak light, the Remote Control and the Rec on/off.
The Peak light can be shutt off (using Menu). The remote control light can be covered with a tinny black adhesive tape. Nothing you can do with the other one  ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »

Same thing happened to me. Moved to Kingston and never had problems again, ever.
The red lights you mentioned are, I suppose, the Peak light, the Remote Control and the Rec on/off.
The Peak light can be shutt off (using Menu). The remote control light can be covered with a tinny black adhesive tape. Nothing you can do with the other one  ;)

I came here to post about the R-09HR and learned something else. Thanks for that. Reading reviews it seems that Kingston SDHC cards are more reliable than the Transcend cards. I have the peak light off and yes...that's what I meant.  :P
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »

I came here to post about the R-09HR and learned something else. Thanks for that. Reading reviews it seems that Kingston SDHC cards are more reliable than the Transcend cards. I have the peak light off and yes...that's what I meant.  :P

No problem, you're welcome  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com