Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: For JB3 Tapers:Problems you have had with your JB3 and what you did to fix them.  (Read 11587 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
My power / hold button sticks - help!!(thanks again skalinder)

Another fairly common problem, and one that can be a major PITA - if you're especially unlucky, it may stick when you attempt to put the JB3 on hold while recording, and instead power off!  Two potential problems / solutions:

* It's just plain dirty.  Open up the JB3 and clean it.
    * The hole in the case through which the power button slides is a bit snug.  Sanding / shaving down the hole just a wee bit will create enough clearance so it doesn't stick.

Ray76

OK, so I just got this jb3. I transferred a show to it and then uploaded to my pc. I open it in CD Wave to track it out and I get the following message. Something like, " the header reports a different file size than the system, do you want to override the system size" either way, the file is truncated. Instead of 1:01:16, the time is reported as 10:16:01. Wavelab reports the same size and track length. On my JB3 the show is complete. So far I'm not real impressed with my JB3. You can have my dap1 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. Any suggestions with the JB3 are apreciated.

Yeah - I get the same thing...but Soundforge doesnt complain about it...
I think if you just open and re-save it in an editor...it will fix the header...

are you trying to open it in a different sample rate from which it was recorded, by chance?
Nope, both at 44.1. I thought of that possibility. +T anyways.

This only occurs when you open it up fresh from the transfer...CD Wave is the only program I've seen complain about this...
Does anyone know what the correct response to the error message is? (accept, dont accept?)
Doesn't seem to matter which one you pick. I've tried both.
i agree with post's saying opening in SF first will fix the problem, and either choice of 'fix the header' or 'trust the header' gives the same result.  i also think if you upgrade the firmware on the JB3 this should stop this from happening again, not sure but i think it was just a bug w/ older firmware - i have 2 JB3s and only the older one has this 'problem'.  hope this helps.

I have firmware version 1.40.06. According to the faq it is proven to be stable. The wave file on my jb3 is corrupt. It reads 1:01:16 in total time, but will not play beyond 10:16; which is exactly the time that Wavelab reports.

Result: try opening and resaving w/an alternate wave editor. I haven't confirmed this myself, but will try it soon.----Kevin

Problem----Opening JB3-recorded WAV:  "File header reports a size that is different than the system reports..."?!?

When opening JB3-recorded WAVs in CD-Wave, what's with the message:  "File header reports a size that is different than the system reports.  Do you want to adjust the size?  (Yes to override header, No to trust header, Cancel to abort)"

The JB3 appears to add 8 bytes of "junk" at the end of some WAV files recorded onto the JB3.  At any rate, if prompted with this message by CD-Wave, it doesn't matter whether you select Yes or No, CD-Wave strips the "junk" 8 bytes out of the file in either case.  All other commonly used taper programs - Cool Edit, Wavelab, Soundforge, etc. - seem to strip the junk bytes out but don't present a message to the user.  Bottom line:  don't sweat it!

Thanks skalinder and Kevin

Ray

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
FWIW, a bunch of this in the JB3 FAQ already and may or may not be worth repeating.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Ray76

FWIW, a bunch of this in the JB3 FAQ already and may or may not be worth repeating.

Oh shoot, sorry man.
Ray

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
I just figured out what my problem was ----> a right angle toslink adapter for my optical cable <------ Don't use these adapters. It's the kind that swivels 360 degrees... I listened as I was recording something and then swiveled it around and the signal would drop out at certain orientations. I'm starting to think that the SP right angle toslink to mini definitely is the best way to go. Until I get one, I'm just plugging my cable straight into the UA-5 with no adapter. I'm glad I found that out before messing up another recording.. and it's good to know it was a 2 dollar adapter that was the problem and not the JB3 or UA-5... phew. Cheers all.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
I just figured out what my problem was ----> a right angle toslink adapter for my optical cable <------ Don't use these adapters. It's the kind that swivels 360 degrees... I listened as I was recording something and then swiveled it around and the signal would drop out at certain orientations. I'm starting to think that the SP right angle toslink to mini definitely is the best way to go. Until I get one, I'm just plugging my cable straight into the UA-5 with no adapter. I'm glad I found that out before messing up another recording.. and it's good to know it was a 2 dollar adapter that was the problem and not the JB3 or UA-5... phew. Cheers all.

yes, do it, buy two, theyre built like a tank and are only 20 bux a piece right now :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
I don't know why I didn't get one in the first place... adapters are a PITA...

Offline Nate

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I saw you dancing to Doreatha
Where can I buy the SP right angle toslink?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:53:18 PM by Bean »

hexyjones

Problem: Battery seems dead...no indication of charge. Nothing.

Solution: Smack battery on table sharply...

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
OK I know this has been dicussed so I'm posting this here rather than make a new thread.  I recently got a refurbished JB3 worked OK with USB next I bought a firewire card and I can't get anything into or off of the JB3 and the computer.  I read this concering the subject on a different thread.

"Creative NOMAD® Jukebox Driver Update version 1.23.00
NJ3-WBDRV-W1-US

This update provides selected Creative NOMAD Jukebox players with drivers that are WHQL certified for Microsoft® Windows® XP only.

Fix:

Resolves the issue of the "Device not connected" message appearing in selected NOMAD Jukebox players. "

The only problem is I don't see this specific driver on their website but I have tried the two most recent drivers with very little luck.  When I connect my JB3 Via firewire the computer recognizes the JB3 with a little pop up that says it is connected.  I can even get the Play Center to identify all the tracks stored on the JB3 the problem starts when I try to make a transfer either way.  When I select a track and click on transfer it tells me the JB3 is busy or not connected.  Other times it identifies the JB3 but shows no stored tracks and will not let me transfer from the computer to the JB3.  I have installed and uninstalled various drivers over the past few days.  I have started the computer with the JB3 connected and I have plugged it in after starting the computer both to no avail.  I am about to start kicking and throwing stuff.  Any help would be great.
                                          Peace, Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
OK I know this has been dicussed so I'm posting this here rather than make a new thread.  I recently got a refurbished JB3 worked OK with USB next I bought a firewire card and I can't get anything into or off of the JB3 and the computer.  I read this concering the subject on a different thread.

"Creative NOMAD® Jukebox Driver Update version 1.23.00
NJ3-WBDRV-W1-US

This update provides selected Creative NOMAD Jukebox players with drivers that are WHQL certified for Microsoft® Windows® XP only.

Fix:

Resolves the issue of the "Device not connected" message appearing in selected NOMAD Jukebox players. "

The only problem is I don't see this specific driver on their website but I have tried the two most recent drivers with very little luck.  When I connect my JB3 Via firewire the computer recognizes the JB3 with a little pop up that says it is connected.  I can even get the Play Center to identify all the tracks stored on the JB3 the problem starts when I try to make a transfer either way.  When I select a track and click on transfer it tells me the JB3 is busy or not connected.  Other times it identifies the JB3 but shows no stored tracks and will not let me transfer from the computer to the JB3.  I have installed and uninstalled various drivers over the past few days.  I have started the computer with the JB3 connected and I have plugged it in after starting the computer both to no avail.  I am about to start kicking and throwing stuff.  Any help would be great.
                                          Peace, Matt

Well I finally got everything working.  It was the cheap firewire I got from Fry's.  I went back today and exchanged the old $9.99 card for a $29.99 USB 2.0/firewire combo card and it works flawlessly.  Unlike the other card this one came with an actual driver CD.  So 10 unintalls and reinstalls and a new operating system later I have learned that cheaper is not always better in the computer hardware world.  My advice is STAY AWAY FROM $9.99 FIREWIRE CARDS FROM FRY'S ELECTRONICS.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline jephro

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Taper-Trader-Pro Brewer
anyone know how to clean the wheel on the JB3?
jeff

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
anyone know how to clean the wheel on the JB3?
jeff

read the top of the page :P

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
For the wheel, I'd use canned air and for persistent gunk a touch of alcohol (the isypropyl kind, not the drinking kind) and a q-tip
if it's really mauled up with hair or something, you might hafta open er up.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com