Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: u89I>722/744  (Read 12355 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: u89I>722/744
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
you don't need shocks, the capsules are internally shockmounted. Neumann sells a mount that screws into the base of the mic and then has an arm that attaches to a regular mic mount. I think they're like $200/pr from Neumann, Damon used them...

if you really want shocks I used the rode ld mounts... they are similiar to the adk mounts but fit a bit better

if I still had my u89s I would use the neumann mic mounts though, much smaller and easier to deal with
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 02:34:22 AM »
you don't need shocks, the capsules are internally shockmounted. Neumann sells a mount that screws into the base of the mic and then has an arm that attaches to a regular mic mount. I think they're like $200/pr from Neumann, Damon used them...

if you really want shocks I used the rode ld mounts... they are similiar to the adk mounts but fit a bit better

if I still had my u89s I would use the neumann mic mounts though, much smaller and easier to deal with

Are you sure about this Tim? I've never read or heard anything about this. I know about the base attachment, but never considered it. In hindsight, I think I Dan Estrin actually used the base attachments. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Anybody have the u89i pics from Big Cypress. I had one that I'm trying to find right now.

-BA

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 09:10:35 AM »
I wish Damon still had these mics, since I'd have run them with the 722 by now.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 10:17:35 AM »
just send me your 722 I will let you know how it sounds
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 10:20:26 AM »

Are you sure about this Tim? I've never read or heard anything about this. I know about the base attachment, but never considered it. In hindsight, I think I Dan Estrin actually used the base attachments. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Anybody have the u89i pics from Big Cypress. I had one that I'm trying to find right now.

-BA

yeah, i used the swivel mounts for the u89's and I thought they were great.  I spoke with doug oade and someone at neumann before I bought them and both confirmed that the capsules are internally shockmounted and do not require the big basket mounts unless you are going to be in a really unstable location (doug's example was micing a drum kit).  running the swivel mounts with an AKG t-bar is ideal in some ways.  the bar itself is 20 cm (8 in) on center to the screws and the swivel mounts are 5 cm (2in).  so with the bar fully extended and the swivel mounts perpendicular to the bar, you get 20cm of separation for DIN and with the swivel mounts flared out to the side, you get 30 cm of separation for NOS.  

i picked mine up individually on ebay for a total of about $1700 ($925 for 1 and $800 for the second)...sent them to neumann to be cleaned and checked for $175.  i thought it was a great value.  5 patterns and great sound for $2k, try doing that with SD mics.

EDIT: the biggest detraction for the swivel mounts is that they do not swivel in the right way to use them with a shure vert bar to get a coincident setup for xy, blumlein or M/S.  however, i think the BCostigan mod vert bar takes care of this problem for you, but unfortunately it had not been invented when i owned the u89's.

second edit:
from neumann's description:

"The capsule it is elastically mounted to avoid any structure borne noise that could interfere with its operation."

http://www.neumann.com/infopool/mics/produkte.php?ProdID=u89i (click on details)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 10:32:31 AM by dmonterisi »

Offline Zee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 04:11:03 PM »
I cant wait till i get my hands on the 722 I ordered..  ;D  It would be great if it showed up early next week. Black Crows, MMW, Trucks and then Jazz fest... Ohhh Man I cant wait.
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 12:14:42 PM »
Ohh man my 722 is on a fedex truck out for delivery. Derick Trucks tonight I cant wait to play with this thing. :-)
4022>v2>722

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2005, 01:23:47 PM »
Zee, remember to start charging the battery the second you get it so you'll be good to go for tonight.

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2005, 02:27:47 PM »
yeah I will for sure.. You have any pointer for the 1st timers with this thing? 4022>722  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
We have some good music in Houston this weekend. I wish I could have had it last night for the Black Crows...
4022>v2>722

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 02:43:55 PM »
go ahead and set the auto split at 2 GB or less....

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »
yeah I will for sure.. You have any pointer for the 1st timers with this thing? 4022>722  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
We have some good music in Houston this weekend. I wish I could have had it last night for the Black Crows...

Go online to the SD site and download the manual now and read it.  Also read through the 722 threads in here.  Pay attention to the filesystem issues and follow the advice about drive management.

Look up that link for the 6000mAh batteries.  One of those will get you though an entire show.

One configuration I would recommend is that if you know what gain you typically run with your mics, check the the menu setting for gain range.  There are two ranges and you want to be on the correct range before the show starts.  I ran one show where I almost ran out of gain adjustment because the unit was set at the higher range and I needed to go with a low gain setting.  I think the default is the higher range.

My bitching aside, it's a sweet box, easy to run and sounds very good.  You'll be happy with it.

edit: spelling
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2005, 02:57:39 PM »
Check the firmware version. 1.24 introduced the transport lock feature. Set your bit depth and sample rate in advance b/c it will hold those in memory. I find that the DPA 402x need the higher of the two gain ranges, even for a show that I thought was reasonably loud, I was still +30 or so.

Set up the meters to Peak + Hold. Don't be freaked out by red metering lights ... there are four of them before you clip! (One of my pet peeves about the metering is that the cip light should be different than all of the others).

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2005, 07:17:03 PM »
Okay I think I have enough to get through tonight... The gain settings were Normal or Low so I left them at normal. You were running at +30 with the 402X? Thats what I was wondering where the hell to even start out at. Its going to be a fun night!
4022>v2>722

Offline Tim

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »
enjoy!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2005, 02:00:11 AM »
I like   ;D  ;D I like it A-Lot!!!

Well I did not have enough time to get a good charge on the bat so I lost the last 3 minutes of the show. Im listening to it through some cheap ass head phone i use when i jog but it sounds great. I ran at 24b 48 to try to save power.I had to keep it in stealth mode all night but the few times that I had the LEDs on it look good  ;D. Well off to charge the bats.
4022>v2>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com