Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 as lappie backup  (Read 3722 times)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
JB3 as lappie backup
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:28:14 AM »
Just want to clarify something before I head out and tape tonight. I wanted to attempt my first pull with a lappie tonight. As it is my first try, I wanted to make sure I still got a usable copy. My rig is Nak 300's > WMod UA5. I was going to run at 24/48 as I've read that the 96 is not reliable at all times. Can I also send this signal to the JB3 via optical and get a listenable product? I know it cuts out the last 8 bits, but the FAQ states that a 96signal is just a big no no. And I'd prefer to send the JB3 a digital signal, but I could always send an analog signal just to make sure I got something.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: JB3 as lappie backup
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
When i was first starting w/ my laptop i wanted to do the same thing.  I ended up going analog out to JB3, just cause of the truncation thing.  But i have given a patch out to a JB3 while sending a 24/48 sig to my laptop, and the guy said it worked out fine.  Obviously it was truncated to 16b...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:09:25 AM »
Yeah, the more I think about it, I may just play it safe and send the analog signal from the RCA's to the JB3.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:13:18 PM »
I'd recommend running analog out to the JB3, even though it means passing through A>D, D>A, and A>D again.  Based on a quick listen I did recently of a 24-bit WAV and the same WAV truncated (with s/w) to 16-bits, the truncated version didn't sound very good.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »
as long as you dont crank the levels on the jb3, the truncated version is listenable, but not ideal obviously. ime. ymmv.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

hexyjones

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 04:41:18 PM »
as long as you dont crank the levels on the jb3, the truncated version is listenable, but not ideal obviously. ime. ymmv.

Are there any truncation demonstations out there? I truncate all the time but - I have no way of hearing what I'm missing...I dont dectect any anomalies - but it's something I wish I wasnt doing...if I could just hear it once(no matter how subbtle) - I might be driven insane to the point of buying new gear...

Also - is all truncation the same? - does a half-duplex signal truncate the same as a full-duplex?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 04:43:50 PM »
ive a/b'ed some of my 24/48 recordings vs 16/48 jb3 backups, and i can tell the difference, but some of my friends cant. so, like i said it will work, but it is not ideal.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 09:28:59 PM »
Are there any truncation demonstations out there?

I don't know of any.  Here's what I did:

• downloaded a 24-bit / 48kHz track from the SD 722 / V3 comp posted fairly recently
  • using CEP 2.1, saved the 24-bit file as 16-bit with no dithering, i.e. I assume the s/w truncated since I specified no dithering scheme
    • Edit | Convert Sample Type
    • Leave sample rate at 48 kHz
    • Set resolution to 16-bit
    • Disabled dithering
  • using CEP 2.1, dithered to 16-bit and saved
    • Edit | Convert Sample Type
    • Leave sample rate at 48 kHz
    • Set resolution to 16-bit
    • Enabled dithering
      • Accepted default dither bit depth (1)
      • Set PDF to triangular
      • Accepted default of no noise shaping

I found the differences readily noticeable, even over my office headphone setup:  PC digi-out > smART DIO > AKG K501, and I did not like what I heard in the truncated file.

Also - is all truncation the same? - does a half-duplex signal truncate the same as a full-duplex?

Not sure what you mean by half-duplex v. full-duplex, at least not in this context.  If people will chime in and let me know...

• what half-/full-duplex means in this context so I know whether or not I need to modify my process above
  • that s/w truncation I performed is a valid way to set up the comparison (can't do it hardware based)
  • that there's demand for the comp
...I'll BT a comp for everyone.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 09:31:24 PM »
ive a/b'ed some of my 24/48 recordings vs 16/48 jb3 backups

Duh.  Better than my offer to post my s/w-derived comp, are you willing to host a comp, Dre?  Or deliver some A/B files so I can host the BT?
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:53:25 PM »
sadly, since i only use it for backup, i never keep the jb3 files. sorry.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 09:57:52 PM »
sadly, since i only use it for backup, i never keep the jb3 files. sorry.

Ahhhh, rats.  Makes sense, though.  Have any shows coming up from which you'd be willing to pass along files for the comp?
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 10:07:10 PM »
i just sold my laptop-based rig to fund 1/2 a 722. im not sure ill keep the jb3 much longer.

hexyjones

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 10:12:10 PM »
Darn! - Is anyone else able to perform this feat?

I'd definitely be interested in hearing a JB3 truncated 16 vs. Straight 24 comparision.

I don't doubt there is a difference - but I'd like to get some idea of the effect...subtle, pronounced? just curious...

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 10:01:41 AM »
I'll just add this in, I'm glad I had the JB3 as a backup last night, even with the analog in. I knew the battery on the lappie wouldn't last the whole show, but I being greedy and wanted to let the song finish before I stopped and saved. Less than 1 minute till the end of the song and I loose the lappie. Oh well. It "appeared" that Soundforge was working (not sure if it was this thread or another UA-5 lappie thread that someone wasn't sure SF would work). May get another chance to test next week if I am not working Thursday night, if not I don't have anything for a while.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com