Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie gettin' back into...  (Read 8125 times)

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Newbie gettin' back into...
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »
...................... But what about the analog in?  Is there any hard drive noise like the NJB3?.....................

UPDATE:

I just ran some tests with and without the remote control. During my tests, I found that there IS hard drive noise (without the remote control plugged up)... at 24 dB of gain (maximum analog gain on the iriver), the maximum RMS value reported by Adobe Audition is -63.71 dB (left) / -64.7 dB (right). Now, obviously, that was too low of a level during a loud concert for me to hear the noise. I'm not sure how, or IF, this will affect recording for more quiet shows..................

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »
...................... But what about the analog in?  Is there any hard drive noise like the NJB3?.....................

UPDATE:

I just ran some tests with and without the remote control. During my tests, I found that there IS hard drive noise (without the remote control plugged up)... at 24 dB of gain (maximum analog gain on the iriver), the maximum RMS value reported by Adobe Audition is -63.71 dB (left) / -64.7 dB (right). Now, obviously, that was too low of a level during a loud concert for me to hear the noise. I'm not sure how, or IF, this will affect recording for more quiet shows..................

Thanks for the tests... and all your iRiver updates in general.

I'm not surprised.  I've taken apart the NJB3 and that hard drive is awful close to the analog circuits.  And it is all running off the same battery.  It is hard to imagine perfect isolation.

I'm psyched to try the iRiver, not for analog, but for digital capture though.  Much smaller than the NJB3 and great battery life.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »

I'm not surprised.  I've taken apart the NJB3 and that hard drive is awful close to the analog circuits.  And it is all running off the same battery.  It is hard to imagine perfect isolation.

I'm psyched to try the iRiver, not for analog, but for digital capture though.  Much smaller than the NJB3 and great battery life.

Richard

Quite welcome, Richard.  ;D

Now for the $20 question: are there any potential hacks/remedies to help isolate the analog circuitry from HDD noise?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 04:24:32 PM »

Richard

Now for the $20 question: are there any potential hacks/remedies to help isolate the analog circuitry from HDD noise?

I don't think there are any obvious hacks.  The only thing I can think of is the obvious: distance (between hard drive and analog part), shielding (around analog part), and separate power supplies.  None of these are practical in a portable unit.  Well, it would be nice to see what Sound Devices or Edirol do in their units.  Anyone care to take theirs apart and inform us :).  No?  I don't blame you...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »

Richard

I don't think there are any obvious hacks.  The only thing I can think of is the obvious: distance (between hard drive and analog part), shielding (around analog part), and separate power supplies.  None of these are practical in a portable unit.  Well, it would be nice to see what Sound Devices or Edirol do in their units.  Anyone care to take theirs apart and inform us :).  No?  I don't blame you...

Richard

scott posted some internal pics of his 722, i think there are some others floating around as well...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36009.msg459006#msg459006
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »

Richard

Richard

scott posted some internal pics of his 722, i think there are some others floating around as well...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=36009.msg459006#msg459006

Hey, so there are brave people here!  I would be scared to take mine apart.  I really see how small that is based on the drive inside.  Wow!

Richard

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »
i believe scott replaced the HD right away with an 80G - im scared to take mine out of my gear bag let along pry it open  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »

Richard

Ahhhh... when I had an R-1 (yep, it's sold and an R-09 is on pre-order), I did open it up a couple of times, but never could manage to get clear photos. (Time for a new camera for sure.)

Anyway, interestingly, the R-1 has some type of a thin metal (?) "flap" (for lack of a better word) in between the LCD display and the circuit board. I imagine that's to shield the circuitry from any LCD-generated noise, e.g. when the backlight comes on. However, I have NO clue what the "flap" is made of... but it's fairly pliable yet it has the properties to be able to be bent/shaped and stay in that position. Almost like aluminum foil, but thicker...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 06:52:02 PM »
Here's a sample from the Medeski, Martin & Wood show I taped.  Here's some txt file info:

Medeski, Martin & Wood
The Concert Hall at the New York Society for Ethical Culture
April 6, 2006
New York, NY

Taping rig: dpa4061>dpa mma6000>iRiver H140 (16/44 wav)
Conversion: iRiver H140>usb>Computer>cd wav to split track

I was sitting on the left side of the concert hall, about 15 feet from center.  My mics were pointing at a PA stack that was sitting on top of the far left stage pointing right at me.  I was about 10 feet away from the stage seated, the mics were clipped to my glasses by my ears.  I stood as still as a statue for this show.  Fortunately, the person sitting in front of me was slumped in his seat and didn't obscure my view nor the recording.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Lhmwrench

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2006, 11:31:23 PM »
Larson was right...lurk and learn...thanks again everyone..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com