Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How reliable is the microtracker?  (Read 15713 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
How reliable is the microtracker?
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:35:02 AM »
comments? Thanks, Marc.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How reliable is the microtracker?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »
I think you'll get a wide range of opinion on this one, Marc.  Probably including a lot of opinions from people who have never run one. ;) :P

From my standpoint, I'd say it is pretty rock solid at 16 bits, if you plan on running one behind a mSBM1.  I've never had any problems at 16bits, and don't recall too much or any complaints at that bit rate.

I've run one since the beginning and really haven't had too much problems with it, and the few problems I had (channel swapping with digi-in 24bits, incorrect record time left available) occurred with the early firmwares.  The latest firmware has been very stable for me and many others.

One issue is finding a CF card that works well.  The Kingston Elite 45x that I use is a very good one.  In general, you probably want one that is in the range of 45x to 80x.

It isn't perfect -- somewhat picky about CF cards, no gapless 2gb splits, etc -- but is very good bit bucket.  In that regard, probably the only contender to the D8/M1 (small, inexpensive, bit-bucket) as a solid state recorder.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:51:19 AM »
I had one I think they are very solid, firmware is the only main issue once you find a version that is stable stick with it, unless there is a reason to change it because of new features ect. I think the main issue is battery life ( not that great) and people that use microdrives, I think using a microdrive with a edirol or a tracker is pretty dumb why would you want to increase your latency?? I mean there is nothing faster then flash memory so why mess with a good thing!

I think most of the people that use microdrives do so because they are cool! not because they perform better then Flash ram. Also dropping your MT with a microdrive is a bad thing. So I would say in general all of the flash based systems are dependable compared to a mechnical recorder like Dat, MD, Microdrive, Harddrive. There is no moving parts so its all about electronics and firmware stability. My take on electronics is that if you have not had a problem with in the first 30 days of owning a product, chances are you wont. That being said there have been issues in the past with the battery exploding, but I am sure that was an isolated incident. As for firmware its a computer program it can crash good firmware = reliability of the device plain and simple thats why I say find a version that works and stick with it.

Chris Church

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
That being said there have been issues in the past with the battery exploding, but I am sure that was an isolated incident.

Isolated it may be but as my friend could have lost a hand (or his house had he not been quick with a fire extinguisher) or worse...
I'll never own one.
But if i were compelled to do so, I'd be sure to get a NEW one which is less likely to have a battery from the same lot as his. Also, i'd have more interest if someone were to find a way to pull that internal battery altogether.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
I think you'll get a wide range of opinion on this one, Marc.  Probably including a lot of opinions from people who have never run one. ;) :P

Same as it ever was...  For everyone one person who says the mt is 'solid', you'll have others who say it is flakey. There is a reason for that.. it is flakey!  ;)  I think you really need to learn about a lot of quirks in order to use the mt reliably..

Contrast that to the r09.  Most owners seem to think it is solid and I'm not aware of a single person saying otherwise.  There are no major 'need to know!' quirks.  People hardly even talk about the r09 because they just work.  The mt is dead meat if edirol releases a bit bucket version of the r09.

I still have my mt for doing comps, mostly out of the v3. But I'm not doing so many of those these days so mine will probably be going up soon.

You can make the mt work but it isn't reliable enough for me. Record 100 shows with it and let us know how much you lost, etc.

cmoorevt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »
I think the main issue is battery life ( not that great)

Basically my only complaint.  Ideally the thing would have replaceable AA's but I've found a number of external battery solutions that work fine.

I've had one since they first came out and luckily have never had any problems that I didn't cause myself.  Most recent firmware seems solid.  I primarily run it in open taping situations, 16bit, using the digi in and it has worked great.  Also stealthed with it several times using the 1/4 inch inputs and again, no problems.

Not to diminish the exploding battery issue experienced by one of the members of this board in ANY way(certainly could have been a lot worse as noted above), but those things can happen with this type of battery and with other devices-see Dell laptops.  Wouldn't stop me from buying a MT(or a Dell for that matter).

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »
While I agree with Freelunch I also believe it is important to point out what you are using it for!  Personally, I have used one as a bit bucket with no problems.  Well except the 2 gig thing bit me in the ass once, but that was my fault essentially.  I am not a fan of the a/d in it edirol units have a smoother sounding a/d.  

Microdrive vs. CF?  CF all the way.

edit:

The mt is dead meat if edirol releases a bit bucket version of the r09.

Yep!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:22:41 PM by funkoff »

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
While I agree with Freelunch I also believe it is important to point out what you are using it for!

Very true.  If you can monitor the situation closely, it raises the overall reliability.   If you are doing a set it and forget it... Lowers.  Especially if you have to do a 2GB file break without taking the unit out of your pocket.

I was assuming you'd use CF.  Given everything I've read, there is no way I'd rely on microdrive unless it was just a backup source.

The Aerco has an 1/8" output and RCA output.. I've been wanting to do an analog r09 vs. mt comp that way, just for kicks, but haven't gotten around to it yet..

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 12:41:21 PM »
have you thought about ditching the shitmapper and going 148>r9? the a/d sounds fine.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
MOST of the people i know of who said it was flacky/sucked got rid of it before 1.4.3
i don't think anyone running 1.4.3 will say its not good for the money, bit bucket

i used mine at 24/48 with microdrive and had no issues at all
i also use a 4aa battery box, i have used the same 4aa for 3 shows and never been close to losing power at the end of a 3hr show

edit--i do run a jb3 as backup though since i have seen the bad reviews
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:45:54 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 01:45:53 PM »
While I don't use my remaining MT all that often anymore since I'm still enjoying playing around with my R-4, even on older firmware (1.2.3, I think) it proved stable for me.  Took sorting out a couple quirks that seemed related to unreliabilty - simple things like feeding it a digi-signal before powering up (I documented a couple of these somewhere) - but once done it's worked quite well.  It's really the only low-cost 24-bit bit-bucket available at this point.  The others all cost roughly double or more.

Check out the MT2496 FAQ Andrew Pierce put together for some general info.  I don't think it's remained up to date with the new firmware releases, but should give you some ideas about the unit.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »

Same as it ever was...  For everyone one person who says the mt is 'solid', you'll have others who say it is flakey. There is a reason for that.. it is flakey!  ;)  I think you really need to learn about a lot of quirks in order to use the mt reliably..

Contrast that to the r09.  Most owners seem to think it is solid and I'm not aware of a single person saying otherwise.  There are no major 'need to know!' quirks.  People hardly even talk about the r09 because they just work.  The mt is dead meat if edirol releases a bit bucket version of the r09.

I still have my mt for doing comps, mostly out of the v3. But I'm not doing so many of those these days so mine will probably be going up soon.

You can make the mt work but it isn't reliable enough for me. Record 100 shows with it and let us know how much you lost, etc.

Yep, definitely same as it ever was -- there always has been and probably always will be a lot of bandwagoning on ts.com.  Not aware of anyone saying there are problems with the r09?  Last I saw there were 3 pages of people complaining about the 1/8" inputs going bad on the 09, yet everyone glosses over that.  If there were these input problems with the MT, people would be jumping all over M-Audio about their bad quality and unreliability.  I'm not slamming it over this, yet this just confirms one of my fears about the 09 -- I don't much trust 1/8" input connectors.  1/4" TRS aren't ideal, but they are much better in my book.

Personally, I'm not that invested in the battle.  If Edirol comes out with a R09 v2 with a digital input, I will most probably be buying one to check it out.  But without a digital input, I'm just not interested.  The MT and H140 work quite well for me for the times (mainly stealth) that I want to skip the V3 and just run analog in.

On the MT reliability, I've run it for over 100 sets in the field plus a lot of transfers.  Had exactly three problems that I can recall:  (1) when I first got it and was running 16 bits, I was talked into trying it at 24bits at setbreak knowing nothing about how it handled 24bits at the time.  It shut down early do to glitches in the early firmware making it think that not enough file space was still available.  (I had a 16bit back up via an M1, so nothing was lost.  Probably wouldn't have tried the experiment if I didn't have that M1 back up.  And this problem has been fixed with the newer firmwares.)  (2) Once with earlier firmware had an issue with channel swapping when running digi-in at 24-bits.  I had known about the potential and had been marking my channels to start with finger-snapping.  No problem at all switching them back with CoolEdit, so nothing lost.  (3) At a free show at a ski mountain I hadn't planning on taping, we used my MT to go analog in from an AT822 someone else had (pooling gear to see what we might be able to accomplish).  Only had cables for using the 1/8" input, not the 1/4" TRS, and I knew up front there probably wasn't a chance in hell of it working without brickwalling -- and it didn't.  All of these problems have been fixed with the latest firmware, or can be avoided by knowing the MT's limitations and using the right cables.

So overall, I'd say with my own pretty extensive use, compared to my own experience with other recorders, this makes the MT the most reliable field recorder I've ever used -- compared to the Sony D3/D8/D100/M1 (never ran a D7), the Aiwa HDX3000 and Aiwa HDS1, and the Nomad Jukebox 3.  Never owned or ran extensively the DA-P1 or PortaDAT, which may have proven more reliable than the MT, and the H140 might prove to be a very reliable recorder (haven't used it enough yet), but fragile optical digi cables make me worried.

Anyway, that being my experience with the MT.  Perhaps it is quirky, but for me anyway, easy enough to work with it's quirks.  No worse than needing to insure proper tape loading with Sony DAT portables or keeping from having the dreaded heat shutdown of the JB3.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 02:51:08 PM »
As a bit bucket - other than the 2 gig file limit - works great.. never had a problem..
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:20:20 PM »
comments? Thanks, Marc.

Hey Marc,

Mine works great and I'm coming up on one year with it.  I recently picked up a Tascam HD-P2 that I like a lot so the MT will probably only be used for stealth.  No issue with with either compact flash or micro drive in the MT.  I can honestly say I don't miss tape at all.

-Rick
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 04:55:54 PM »
I really like the MT as a 16 bit bit bucket. I have only had one issue with the recent firmware 1.4.1v. the bugger stopped automatically, byut saved the file. and couldnt start a new recording file. but bc of the super easy transfer, etc, it is my device of choice.

I do run a jb3 back up from time to time, but that's just to keep my paranoid mind at ease.  >:D
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
if you have any real use for a windows mobile pda, the dell axim x51v, a (gasp) core sounds pdaudio card coupled with the excellent live2496 software has been a VERY reliable bitbucket setup for me.  I'm able to do seamless autosplits on 4gb sd media at 24/96 too

The axim has proven to be quite sturdy so far too.  I don't use any special case (though there are plenty) and I've read of field testers repeatedly dropping axims from 10'+ onto concrete floors without damage.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:10:43 PM by dnsacks »

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 05:36:17 PM »
Using it as a bit dump, only user error. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »
i had trouble w/mine, but after some firmware upgrades to 1.4.3 everything worked out fine and dandy at that point.
dont own it anymore though.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »
i had trouble w/mine, but after some firmware upgrades to 1.4.3 everything worked out fine and dandy at that point.
dont own it anymore though.

You must've hosed it, Nick, b/c it worked fine for me on the old firmware.  :P
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 07:42:24 AM »
yup.  it worked great w/the 1.2.3 firmware.  then I had to go and upgrade it and fudged it all up.  the 1.4.x software fixed its wagon though.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
yup.  it worked great w/the 1.2.3 firmware.  then I had to go and upgrade it and fudged it all up.  the 1.4.x software fixed its wagon though.

Exactly, It worked fine with 1.2.3, and then it started working fine with 1.4.3 .

I had some problems with 1.3.X, and went back to 1.2.3 until everyone ok'd the 1.4.3 .

I didn't feel like being the firmware tester anymore.

I always run 24/48.

Once again, I run a JB3 backup, and have never lost any data. Maybe just 8 bits here and there, when I had to go with my backup.

I am also suprised that I really can't tell any difference between the truncated 16 bit copy and a dithered and resampled 16 bit copy.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »
Once again, I run a JB3 backup, and have never lost any data. Maybe just 8 bits here and there, when I had to go with my backup.

I am also suprised that I really can't tell any difference between the truncated 16 bit copy and a dithered and resampled 16 bit copy.

I really don't think any of us can hear a difference.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
it's pretty solid for me on the new firmware.  i've had more issues with the v3 battery running down than the MT crapping out.

my only complaints are:
1) no true lossless auto-split...you still lose a couple seconds automatically starting a new file, which admittedly is only relevant to running at 24-bit...due to this, and the price of CF media, i also only run at 24/48 and haven't even attempted 24/96.
2) no way around 2GB limit
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »

I really don't think any of us can hear a difference.

Really?  I've always found my 24 > 16 bit truncation accidents awful sounding.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
I have not any real problems in the year plus I had the MT. The original firmware was terrible compared to the latest, but for the most part the last few firmware's were fixing small things.

It is important to find a CF card that the MT likes, and there are threads on that, and I always record at 16 bit, since that is how I play the file too, so I don't really have the 2gb filesplit issue.

I have used the deck as a bit bucket and as a stealth recorder, and found both ways fine. I have not lost any recordings, but of course I have missed a few seconds of the beginning of a show here and there... :-X

Currently I am back to just using the MT as a stealth recorder. I do slap on a battery pack, because I have a 5gb microdrive and it eats power. At some point I'll change when I find a good reliable 4gb card that is cheap. I also recently added the SP powered battery box that snaps right on top of the MT, I like that a lot too, it takes up much less room than my home made 1/4trs>1/8 dongle. I recently got a Tascam HD P2,for wide open recording and that is simpler than using the MT along with a UA-5 which I used for many months with no problems at all and great results.

I don't think you can get anything better for stealth or portability. That deck is amazing for it's size, and whether with the t-mic or a little better set of small mics, it is fantastic, a whole world away from the cassette shows I made in the last 3 decades. 8)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
I think most of the people that use microdrives do so because they are cool! not because they perform better then Flash ram.
I use Schoeps MK-41's because they are cool, i use a v-3 because they are cool.
I use microdrives in my mt 24/96 because they were 1/2 the price of flash cards!
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
V3 bc Im cool  8)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The best things are not things
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 02:14:55 AM »
I had a lot of problems with the MT- it lost about half the sets I taped with it.  On paper you can't beat it though.  When it comes down to it, it is what it is, a recorder made by m-audio to be cheap and do it's job- just barely
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 04:38:58 AM »
I had a lot of problems with the MT- it lost about half the sets I taped with it.  On paper you can't beat it though.  When it comes down to it, it is what it is, a recorder made by m-audio to be cheap and do it's job- just barely

Can you be more specific in describing the problems you experienced? 

Sometimes a deck is only working as well as user settings, battery capacity, and quality of connected devices allows.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
"eh"
sure, it works for 24/48, but remember to start that new file!!, and if a set runs longer than 2 hours, be prepared to do a quick stop/start or have a gap in the new file if it starts by itself in the middle of a song.
not good.  not acceptable, imo.

its analog inputs sound like ass comparred to the R9.
Unless you are running a V3/Mm3 or some other outboard DAC..., I think 99% of the people here would be VERY satisfied running "line in" and letting the little deck handle the A/D.  Its not SD 7xx quality, but it sounds really nice.
imo.

Bit buckets are dead to me, once these Korgs come out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:09:35 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
I had a problem with the digital input on mine.  I only used it about 10 times or so.  Now, the digital input is all static.  I've tried several different things like different cables, different sources, etc, and the problem is definitely the coax jack on the MT.  The analog inputs appear to still work fine.  I don't know what the problem is and I don't plan to research it either, as this issue made me decide to make the jump to an R-4, so I have no need for the MT anymore.  It worked fine for the 10 times I used it before it crapped out. 

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »
I had a problem with the digital input on mine.  I only used it about 10 times or so.  Now, the digital input is all static.  I've tried several different things like different cables, different sources, etc, and the problem is definitely the coax jack on the MT.  The analog inputs appear to still work fine.  I don't know what the problem is and I don't plan to research it either, as this issue made me decide to make the jump to an R-4, so I have no need for the MT anymore.  It worked fine for the 10 times I used it before it crapped out. 

NJFunk, make sure the cable is plugged in all the way.  I've noticed if it doesn't get all the way in, it doesn't work.  Also, make sure it is a size that will actually plug in.  Other than that, why invest so much money and not even try to get it repaired if that is the problem?

Recommending a $1400 replacement for a $400 new recroder...  ::)

Seems for such a large issue you didn't say much about it in the past.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:57:00 AM by JoeKiller »
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »

NJFunk, make sure the cable is plugged in all the way.  I've noticed if it doesn't get all the way in, it doesn't work.  Also, make sure it is a size that will actually plug in.  Other than that, why invest so much money and not even try to get it repaired if that is the problem?

I tested all that.  It was plugged in all the way and the cable does actually fit (I may be dumb, but I'm not that dumb...). As for the cables, I only had one possible coax cable that plugged directly in to the unit, but it was a cheap cable from guitar center that I had problems with in the past.  I only used this for maybe 2 or 3 shows.  Then I bought a right angle connector from Rat Shack that also fit the plug.  This allowed me to use any coax cable with the unit.  I used this setup successfully for maybe 8 shows or so.  Then it stopped working.  I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I didn't complain about it because I was reading about the R4 that had just come out, and I really wanted that (I was doing mostly matrixes with a UA-5 > MT setup, and to be able to record 4 tracks by themselves was quite appealing to me), so I just upgraded and moved on.  I saw this thread and thought I'd weigh in with my experience.  You can do whatever you want with the information.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 01:17:36 PM »
I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I suspect the RCA connector came loose from the board due to lateral stress, much like happens on the R-09 mini-input connector.  Probably an easy fix if you open it up and are good with a soldering iron.
Roland R-05

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »
I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I suspect the RCA connector came loose from the board due to lateral stress, much like happens on the R-09 mini-input connector.  Probably an easy fix if you open it up and are good with a soldering iron.

Soldering is a skill I've been meaning to learn for a long time...

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
i have run the microtrack for more than a year now, both analog in and bit bucket @ 24/48.  i have used the same 6GB hitatchi microdrive since day 1.  both the unit and the drive have never had a problem that wasn't caused by me pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.  i never worry about it running out of batteries because i run it with an external 5V USB power supply that runs off of 4AAs.  its been solid for me, and i don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »

I tested all that.  It was plugged in all the way and the cable does actually fit (I may be dumb, but I'm not that dumb...). As for the cables, I only had one possible coax cable that plugged directly in to the unit, but it was a cheap cable from guitar center that I had problems with in the past.  I only used this for maybe 2 or 3 shows.  Then I bought a right angle connector from Rat Shack that also fit the plug.  This allowed me to use any coax cable with the unit.  I used this setup successfully for maybe 8 shows or so.  Then it stopped working.  I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I didn't complain about it because I was reading about the R4 that had just come out, and I really wanted that (I was doing mostly matrixes with a UA-5 > MT setup, and to be able to record 4 tracks by themselves was quite appealing to me), so I just upgraded and moved on.  I saw this thread and thought I'd weigh in with my experience.  You can do whatever you want with the information.

Thanks for the info man.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
I've had one from the beginning and I use it as a bit bucket, never ran analog in...

Agree with most of the previous comments, early firmware was whacked but these latest are solid, no 2g split but not a big deal for me, the need to run an external battery pack again not that big a deal for me, use a CF card as the microdrive are power hogs, oh and the digi input requires a cable housing small enough to fit (see a hosa cable)...

Other than some early firmware issues and user error the MT is worth the 300 bucks or so imho. What other device gives you a digi input in this price range ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline anhisr

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
I too have used mine as a bit bucket for over a year.  Never used the analog input.  Have had no problems other than myself. 
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »

Brian,

Do you know how to open this unit up?  I was looking for a screw or something last night, but I did not find any.  Thanks.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
Do you know how to open this unit up?  I was looking for a screw or something last night, but I did not find any.  Thanks.

I do not.  I vaguely recall Neutrino posting about opening his up, including pics of the innards, but I can't find it at the moment.
Roland R-05

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

I do not.  I vaguely recall Neutrino posting about opening his up, including pics of the innards, but I can't find it at the moment.

-t What good are you then? 

Just kidding.  Thanks anyway, I'll look for that thread when I get home from work tonight.

Offline anhisr

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
I remember the opening of a unit.  I think it was when it was thought that you might be able to put a bigger or better battery in the unit. 
Video Canon HF R30

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
I've used the MT for over a year now.  I've taped probably 40 shows total.  I've never had a single problem using as is a 24/48 bit bucket off my V3. Rock solid from the start for me.  Oh, and I highly recommend any 4xAA USB batt pack.  Power has never been a worry.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
Where did you get the 4 AA USB battery pack?
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

cmoorevt

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
Thanks.  +T  Certainly beats the $200 plus battery boxes.  How much time do you get using it, and are you using Alkalines or rechargeable NiMh batteries?
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 04:15:59 PM »
Sometimes this happens.....

When using external power via the USB, anyone experience error messages on the MT straight after booting up with a Kingston 4GB 45X CF card? Sometimes I get a no-media found message...sometimes media needs to be formated message, other times media full message.

I think these error messages only occur when booting up the MT with external power via the USB. It doesn't occur when I boot up using internal power. So I boot up using internal power than put on the external power once booted.

(I'm using current firmware)

Anyone experience these error messages?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

cmoorevt

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Thanks.  +T  Certainly beats the $200 plus battery boxes.  How much time do you get using it, and are you using Alkalines or rechargeable NiMh batteries?

I have one of the Bixnet 4xAA models that are now discontinued but it is basically the exact same thing.  I've been using rechargeables and the longest thing I have taped so far has been 4 or 5 hours.  Ran the MT no problem. 

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:44 AM »
Is there a thread anywhere on the best CF cards to use or avoid?  Otherwise, recommendations and comments are welcome.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
Is there a thread anywhere on the best CF cards to use or avoid?  Otherwise, recommendations and comments are welcome.

There is a thread or two.  Summary of findings in 'memory' section of review at: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
Sometimes this happens.....

When using external power via the USB, anyone experience error messages on the MT straight after booting up with a Kingston 4GB 45X CF card? Sometimes I get a no-media found message...sometimes media needs to be formated message, other times media full message.

I think these error messages only occur when booting up the MT with external power via the USB. It doesn't occur when I boot up using internal power. So I boot up using internal power than put on the external power once booted.

(I'm using current firmware)

I get that error all the time.  I usually boot it up without the USB plug in, wait til the MT is completely started up, then plug in the USB power.

Anyone experience these error messages?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline EYES

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »
mt is very reliable as long as you use the hand with one thumb and not the one with two thumbs. happy taping
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »

I have one of the Bixnet 4xAA models that are now discontinued but it is basically the exact same thing.  I've been using rechargeables and the longest thing I have taped so far has been 4 or 5 hours.  Ran the MT no problem. 

There is also a 5v external battery used for iPlods which works quite nicely for the MT and is about the same size. I forget the name at the moment, something beginning with an M, McRand ?, but I got it from newegg for about 35 bucks . There was also a thread about it somewhere as well ...

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855998033 this is the one ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:03:05 AM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline EYES

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
go to google and type in ipod battery pack as suggested earlier in another post on remote power
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:10:43 AM by EYES »
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »
I have mostly used alki AA's in my usb battery pack for the mt.  I've never been too sure about NIMH's... here's why:

4 x 1.5v = 6 volts
4 x 1.2v = 4.8 volts

Anyone know the voltage range of the regulator circuit?  Can it boost the volts up to 5 or does it just decrease?

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
I have also noticed that the SPDIF input jack on the MT is very small and tight.  While that is good for some things  >:D what kind of cables are people using to connect to it?

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2007, 03:35:04 AM »
I have also noticed that the SPDIF input jack on the MT is very small and tight.  While that is good for some things  >:D what kind of cables are people using to connect to it?
The cable I use is a Hosa DRA-501 (link). It's a good, snug fit.

Did the MicroTrack reach you today?
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.3 seconds with 84 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com