Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Microtrack  (Read 14684 times)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: M-Audio Microtrack
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »
And Full Compass has them for about $260!  I got mine the same day as Cliff and without a doubt have gotten my moneys worth out of it!

FWIW I noticed that Guitar Center has the MT on sale this month for $299. Thay have done this from time to time. It is how I got mine when they first hit the market. In spite of all the negative comments, it was a great purchase for me and a valuable part of my taping arsenal. ;D
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
good idea! Ive been using my MT for about a year noow with no problems, I have a sick battery pack for it, sweet! I just updated the firmware to 1.4.6 and bam! dead as a ghost! after the update was done, it diidnt reset itsef, and now I cant get it to turn on with the wall AC, the usb thru a computer or my battery pack.  ???
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline michael japan

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: M-Audio Microtrack--how is it for playback???
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2007, 08:35:09 AM »
hey there--I'm a newbie to this forum--heard about you from a friend. I own/operate a studio in Japan but new to micro gear. What I am interested in is a high-quality nit that is good for playbaack--I'm not even interested in recording as when I record live I usually take quite a bit of gear. But what I would like is a machine that I could use to play back backing tracks that I make in my studio (usually bass and drums) and the rest--guitar/keyboard/vocals we do live. I have been using a Sony TR3 for years using Cubase/Nuendo/Sonar and it's wondeful to be able to follow the markers if you get lost, but sometimes with so many applications on the laptop it can get a little scarey live. I just bought this huge unit from "American Audio" and it does even read you song titles--it's going back tomorrow morning.

I was considering either a video Ipod/M-audio Micro-track. Zoom H4, or Roland R-9 (names may be wrong. ) Somebody told me that playback isn't so great from SD cards. I have no experience. I would like to have something that plays back easily, shows the titles of the songs, and is stable with dedicated audio outs--not having to go through the cheap little headphone pre-amp into the system. I would appreciate your help.

Michael

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2007, 02:46:15 PM »
Forget the MT, playback sucks.... it will pause every one in a while.

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »
Forget the MT, playback sucks.... it will pause every one in a while.

On my unit...it isn't so much that playback pauses, the song keeps playing... there is just no output for a few seconds... on the pre 1.4.6 the gaps were huge... as in 10's of minutes... on 1.4.6 now the gap is momentary. But listening to the show on the way home is just a bonus, not a required feature.

The R9 screen is tiny.. 2.6cm wide X 1.3cm high.

If I wanted something to just playback only, I would get a iPod and use AAC/MP4's. You can set up playlists so you can have one track go into the next... I think there are even remote add ons you can get that you could keep handy and keep the iPod propped up on a mic stand or a someplace else that is easy to see for your situation.
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »
Getting back to the splits I have a couple of questions, I want to replace a jb3 w/ microtrack, at this point I don't really care about 24 bit 16 is fine, I burn to cd for my own use. at 16 bit would I get longer times between splits, running behind t+ mod ua5, would my recordings get that much more detailed at 24bit. and do I lose this detail when I burn to cdr. Thanks for any and all help.
Shayne
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »
Getting back to the splits I have a couple of questions, I want to replace a jb3 w/ microtrack, at this point I don't really care about 24 bit 16 is fine, I burn to cd for my own use. at 16 bit would I get longer times between splits, running behind t+ mod ua5, would my recordings get that much more detailed at 24bit. and do I lose this detail when I burn to cdr. Thanks for any and all help.
Shayne

I'll skip the question about the value of recording at 24bits and dithering down to 16bits.  If you do some searching, I think this has been discussed quite a bit in the past.

As to the maximum recording length at 16bits:  if you record at 16/44.1k, you'll have a maximum recording length of something like 3 hours, 20 minutes (maybe 3:25?).  So yeah, you'll get much more time before needing a split than if you record at say 24/48, which is just under 2 hours.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
Anyone here get a few sec skip during the middle of recording using SPDIF @24/96?

Also, anyone experience the right channel going to the left and vice versa with the same settings?

I get both of these sometimes with the current firmware.

(Yes, playback sucks....I have problems fast forward and rewind when I'm in a middle of a long track. The rewind and forward slidder acts like a pause switch sometimes. So I cann't scan through/check out what I've recorded if I'm out recording).
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com