Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

Synch 3 video parts with 1 separate audio track: free software

<< < (3/5) > >>

fguidry:

--- Quote from: juliocruz on January 03, 2021, 07:11:23 PM ---I record concerts with a camera, but you can only record up to 30 minutes continuously. I also have to switch batteries after about 1 hour, so after a concert I normally end up with 3 video parts. I record audio separately, so I have 1 separate audio track. Is there free video editing software with which it is easy to synch the 3 video parts with the 1 separate audio track? I would like to leave the separate audio as it is, so prefer that the screen goes black between the video clips. I read a bout Davinci Resolve, but don't know if this software could synch my 3 video parts with my 1 separate audio track. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance!

--- End quote ---

Resolve requires some pretty hefty hardware, especially on the GPU side. If you're short of compute power you might try the free Shotcut: https://shotcut.org/

Hitfilm express takes more resources but the version I tried a couple of years ago had audio sync built-in: https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express

Fran

juliocruz:
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question! I really appreciate it. Just 1 more question to Sabre, Voltronic and maybe other Resolve users: Is it possible to leave the separate audio track as it is and then synch the 3 video parts to that audio track with the screen going to black between the video parts? Sometimes I have to change the battery during a song and I would rather still hear the audio and have the screen go black than missing part of the song.

sabre:

--- Quote from: juliocruz on January 14, 2021, 07:04:36 PM ---Is it possible to leave the separate audio track as it is and then synch the 3 video parts to that audio track with the screen going to black between the video parts? Sometimes I have to change the battery during a song and I would rather still hear the audio and have the screen go black than missing part of the song.
--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely. The second audio track can continue to run while there are 'gaps' in the video. All decent video editing apps support this feature. There's nothing you need to do in order for this to occur - the video editor will automatically add a black screen where there is a gap in the videos.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: sabre on January 19, 2021, 01:47:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: juliocruz on January 14, 2021, 07:04:36 PM ---Is it possible to leave the separate audio track as it is and then synch the 3 video parts to that audio track with the screen going to black between the video parts? Sometimes I have to change the battery during a song and I would rather still hear the audio and have the screen go black than missing part of the song.
--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely. The second audio track can continue to run while there are 'gaps' in the video. All decent video editing apps support this feature. There's nothing you need to do in order for this to occur - the video editor will automatically add a black screen where there is a gap in the videos.

--- End quote ---

The only thing I would add to this is that you might want to do a fade out / in of a second or two on your video clips going in and out of the black screen sections. This will make things much less jarring at those points. If those places where you are changing your camera battery ever happen to be during song or set breaks, that's also an opportunity to add text titles if you want.

guitard:

--- Quote from: voltronic on January 19, 2021, 07:23:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: sabre on January 19, 2021, 01:47:37 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The only thing I would add to this is that you might want to do a fade out / in of a second or two on your video clips going in and out of the black screen sections. This will make things much less jarring at those points. If those places where you are changing your camera battery ever happen to be during song or set breaks, that's also an opportunity to add text titles if you want.

--- End quote ---

I usually shoot a few minutes of video before/after the show to use as filler during gaps created by things like battery changes, security ducks, etc.  Typically I'll shoot clips of things like the crowd entering/exiting the venue, the merch booth, the mixing board, etc.  If the clip isn't quite long enough to cover the entire gap, I'll stretch it out and make it a slo-mo clip.  You can also do the same thing with still shots, but I prefer the visual aesthetic of video clips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version