Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Sonosax sx-m2d2 vs Grace Designs v2 > 744T

<< < (2/2)

hoyt:

--- Quote from: mountainhop on October 13, 2022, 02:51:16 AM ---tough to pick out the differences and attribute it to either the V2 or 744T as ADCs definitely have flavors as well (i assume you used the sax's adc, as opposed to as just a pre into 744T as an ADC)

--- End quote ---

Correct.  My understanding of the m2d2's output stage is that the ADC is unable to be bypassed.  If you run analog out, it still goes through the ADC, then through the DAC.

--- Quote from: mountainhop on October 13, 2022, 02:51:16 AM ---i feel like for our purposes those rigs could be interchangable and considering size/power considerations, its getting increasingly difficult to justify components

in regard to that, id like to hear the sax vs say, the d:vice which functionally is more similar for our field taping purposes (super compact, 2ch, integrated pre and class-compliant adc being the similarities). not that the sax isnt fantastic but if one only needs 30 dB of gain, is 70+dB of ultraclean gain even relevant?

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  It's getting harder and harder to tell the differences in gear.  m2d2 vs d:vice would be really interesting to hear.  I'm very happy with the m2d2, the size is perfect for most of my use cases.  I do love the v2 sound with my DPAs, but I'm ready to move to the r4+ and ditch an external preamp all together.

morst:

--- Quote from: hoyt on September 23, 2022, 06:40:59 AM --- I split the XLR from my 4028s, providing phantom from the v2.

--- End quote ---

This was a passive "hard split?" as opposed to using a transformer or electronic stage?
Did you notice any "gain fighting" where the level on one recorder changes when you adjust the level on the other?
Did you even adjust levels? Or just pick a number and roll?

Sort of on the subject of splits, Dave Rat has been posting some interesting videos for a while, and a few of his most recent involve the effect of splits and in particular how transformers affect the sound. . .  there is a lot to say on this subject and Dave actually has some good conversations in the comments (which is really unusual on YT!)
part 1 - https://youtu.be/so_sXkH8QOk

hoyt:

--- Quote from: morst on November 26, 2022, 09:30:47 PM ---This was a passive "hard split?" as opposed to using a transformer or electronic stage?
Did you notice any "gain fighting" where the level on one recorder changes when you adjust the level on the other?
Did you even adjust levels? Or just pick a number and roll?

Sort of on the subject of splits, Dave Rat has been posting some interesting videos for a while, and a few of his most recent involve the effect of splits and in particular how transformers affect the sound. . .  there is a lot to say on this subject and Dave actually has some good conversations in the comments (which is really unusual on YT!)
part 1 - https://youtu.be/so_sXkH8QOk

--- End quote ---

It was a passive split.

I didn't notice anything weird with the levels, but I probably barely touched them.  I've taped DMB too many times to count, and I was right on the PA, so I assume the levels were set easily. 

Interesting video, thanks for the link.  I have no doubt that adding something in-line like that affects the sound, but does it affect one split more than the other?  In other words, for the purpose of comparing two items, does it matter?

morst:

--- Quote from: hoyt on November 27, 2022, 12:42:59 PM ---It was a passive split.

I didn't notice anything weird with the levels, but I probably barely touched them.  I've taped DMB too many times to count, and I was right on the PA, so I assume the levels were set easily. 

Interesting video, thanks for the link.  I have no doubt that adding something in-line like that affects the sound, but does it affect one split more than the other?  In other words, for the purpose of comparing two items, does it matter?

--- End quote ---

well check out the video for part 2, Some of the gear combinations definitely affect frequency response on the SMAART analyzer, even when the transformer is on the OTHER side of the hard split. Can you hear a difference on something other than pink noise? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://youtu.be/8C4hzzFijm4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version