Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR Question  (Read 9718 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Edirol R-09HR Question
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »
Only when I try to do something that is the "smart" thing to do, do I have a problem!

This past Sunday I called an audible in the morning before heading to a festival.  Why?  Because the weather was a bit on the tenuous side, and I felt it would be in my best interest to leave the Sound Devices at home, and use an Edirol R-09HR instead.  Great machine that's never given me a problem before and has always made sweet recordings for me.  Since the screen tends to pixilate after a while, I have designated it to stealth recording only, but used it about a month or so ago with no issues, and had great results. Just to side track, for the interest of the story, I also knew if I didn't use my "better" equipment, we wouldn't get a drop of rain.  You're welcome to everyone who attended the Great South Bay Music Festival for a perfect weather day!  Anyway, I was all set to record at all three stages (2 board patches and one mic set-up), until I tried to power up the R-09HR.  WTF?!?  It wouldn't turn on.  No reason, it simply would not power up! I was plugged in to power and the AC power cord was lit as it should be.  OK, I tried fresh batteries.  Nope, nothing.  After trying everything I could think of, I gave up on it and realized I was only going to be able to record 2 out of 3 stages.  Alright, I just have to say this here and now, and this is nothing I haven't known for the past 30+ years...the taper's community is the best fucking community of people there is, and if everyone was half as helpful and cooperative, the world would be a much better place!  I just met a new friend, Chris, who was setting up near me at the main stage, and I was telling him my woes in hopes of him knowing something I may have missed, and he offered me his spare deck (Tascam DR-100) to use for the other stage.  Wow, talk about kind!  All ended well at the festival (I even had the chance to return the favor for someone who was patching out of him and couldn't get his deck to turn on, which after I played with his Sony M-10, determined it was a bad cable which I had and was able to lend to him), but my Edirol seems to be done.

Has anyone had a problem like this with this model that can offer me any information, suggestions or a solution?
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09HR Question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
I called Roland.  They don't work on the R-09HR anymore because they no longer have most of the parts to repair them.  I was directed to their authorized service repair centers, but the cost to look at it alone wouldn't make sense.

If anyone has experienced this issue, and has an idea of how to fix it, I'd appreciate any info...thanks.
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
Look on the back and see if the "Hold" button is engaged.  If so, turn it off.  If "Hold" is on, unit will not power up.  It happened to me with an R-09 ten years ago.   I RMA'd it to Roland and they quickly sent it back with a note......      :-[

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
Look on the back and see if the "Hold" button is engaged.  If so, turn it off.  If "Hold" is on, unit will not power up.  It happened to me with an R-09 ten years ago.   I RMA'd it to Roland and they quickly sent it back with a note......      :-[

Thanks for the suggestion.  That was the first thing I did, and it was the only thing that made any sense.  It is off, so unless it is somehow broken, it's another problem.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Im sure you may have read this but maybe some more info here.

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/201977149/

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »
Im sure you may have read this but maybe some more info here.

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/201977149/

Thank you.  I have not seen this, but did try all of those things at the festival.  My batteries were new, but swapped them out anyway (I was prepared for battery changes through the day), but ultimately, was using plug in power anyway.  The power cord/adapter has an LED light on it that indicates it's getting power, and it was on.  I can try it again at home with a different adapter (also a Roland for the R-09HR), but since nothing worked, I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.  I'm wondering if there's something weird with the machine that I wouldn't know about...even though I've been using it for years without any issues.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
I called Roland.  They don't work on the R-09HR anymore because they no longer have most of the parts to repair them.  I was directed to their authorized service repair centers, but the cost to look at it alone wouldn't make sense.

If anyone has experienced this issue, and has an idea of how to fix it, I'd appreciate any info...thanks.

Hello,

Something very similar happened to me few months ago. Truth be told, I had not used the R-09HR for a couple of years years, but I don't think it has anything to do with what happened. In the middle of a concert my R-09HR simply died. No sign of life. I've tried everything you can imagine (within the limits imaginable in a stealth recording situation). I contacted Roland and got the same results as you: none. Well, I said my prayers for the little machine and move on. To my surprise, about 40 days after the sad occurrence, it returned to life as if nothing had happened. I don't know, but strange things have always happened to that recorder. The strangest thing: little by little the rubbery cover became sticky. Although the same happened to other R-09HR owners (5 as far as I know), Roland insisted that this was a fact they had never heard of before. Anyway, I made the decision to retire the R-09HR. It's a shame really, I've always loved the results I got from him. Good luck!
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 04:03:57 PM »

Hello,

Something very similar happened to me few months ago. Truth be told, I had not used the R-09HR for a couple of years years, but I don't think it has anything to do with what happened. In the middle of a concert my R-09HR simply died. No sign of life. I've tried everything you can imagine (within the limits imaginable in a stealth recording situation). I contacted Roland and got the same results as you: none. Well, I said my prayers for the little machine and move on. To my surprise, about 40 days after the sad occurrence, it returned to life as if nothing had happened. I don't know, but strange things have always happened to that recorder. The strangest thing: little by little the rubbery cover became sticky. Although the same happened to other R-09HR owners (5 as far as I know), Roland insisted that this was a fact they had never heard of before. Anyway, I made the decision to retire the R-09HR. It's a shame really, I've always loved the results I got from him. Good luck!

I too have had great results with this unit for many years (I'd estimate about 7-8, if not more).  In all fairness though, I did pick up another recorder (Sony M-10, x2), when the screen showed its first sign of pixelating.  This, however, is the first problem I've had with this machine...and apparently the last.

The rubbery finish will goo or get sticky after a while, that is common for anything with this finish, and since this is electronic and can generate a little heat, as well as being used the way we use them, should be expected.  Roland has acknowledged this to me, and admitted it was a mistake.  Rubbing alcohol will remove the rubbery goo, and leave a shinny recorder - but be aware, you will also lose the writing if you go over those areas.

I bought another one on ebay, and today is the expected delivery.  It even stated in the description that it's gooey, so my plan is to strip it off - assuming it bothers me, because mine didn't.  It is what it is, as long as it works properly.  This machine is the only one I know of that is stealth friendly, based on the way I stealth shows...so I'm hoping this one lasts me for the next 8+ years.  I only use it for stealth shows, so it isn't used as often as it once was.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »

Hello,

I too have had great results with this unit for many years (I'd estimate about 7-8, if not more).  In all fairness though, I did pick up another recorder (Sony M-10, x2), when the screen showed its first sign of pixelating.  This, however, is the first problem I've had with this machine...and apparently the last.

The rubbery finish will goo or get sticky after a while, that is common for anything with this finish, and since this is electronic and can generate a little heat, as well as being used the way we use them, should be expected.  Roland has acknowledged this to me, and admitted it was a mistake.  Rubbing alcohol will remove the rubbery goo, and leave a shinny recorder - but be aware, you will also lose the writing if you go over those areas.

I bought another one on ebay, and today is the expected delivery.  It even stated in the description that it's gooey, so my plan is to strip it off - assuming it bothers me, because mine didn't.  It is what it is, as long as it works properly.  This machine is the only one I know of that is stealth friendly, based on the way I stealth shows...so I'm hoping this one lasts me for the next 8+ years.  I only use it for stealth shows, so it isn't used as often as it once was.

That's good news! Wish you good luck with the new unit! By the way, I rubbed the unit with alcohol with great results! Looks different but way better than the previous sticky mess.Thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:35:29 PM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »
Thank you Dede2002.
If it is as described, and the only issue is the sticky finish, I'll deal with it and be happy I have one that works again,.  I know there are other things, like Velcro stuck to the back, but I'll either get that off or if it's just on the battery compartment cover, I can switch it with my old one.  Screen looked fine in the picture he sent me, so the next step is to record a local and controlled show to test it out.  Wish me luck  :yahoo:
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »
Thank you Dede2002.
If it is as described, and the only issue is the sticky finish, I'll deal with it and be happy I have one that works again,.  I know there are other things, like Velcro stuck to the back, but I'll either get that off or if it's just on the battery compartment cover, I can switch it with my old one.  Screen looked fine in the picture he sent me, so the next step is to record a local and controlled show to test it out.  Wish me luck  :yahoo:

Good luck! I just did this in my reply but I believe good luck is never too much!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:45:21 AM by Dede2002 »

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Thanks (again)...and I'm glad I was able to help eliminate the sticky goo.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
This appears to be the most recent Edirol R-09HR thread, so I'm going to piggy-back off of this (hopefully that isn't too big of a faux pas).

I have owned an Edirol R-09HR pretty much since they first came out (not sure ... probably at least 10 years ago?).  I have never updated the firmware that it came with, so it is still on Ver 1.04.  This early version seems to get the job done, so I've always been reluctant to update it as it's my only recorder.  But at the same, I admittedly have often wondered ... "What am I missing out on by not updating ... anything really critical?"

So my question to the taping community - are the benefits of updating the firmware for this recorder a no-brainer? 

TIA for replies!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 11:11:20 AM »
This appears to be the most recent Edirol R-09HR thread, so I'm going to piggy-back off of this (hopefully that isn't too big of a faux pas).

I have owned an Edirol R-09HR pretty much since they first came out (not sure ... probably at least 10 years ago?).  I have never updated the firmware that it came with, so it is still on Ver 1.04.  This early version seems to get the job done, so I've always been reluctant to update it as it's my only recorder.  But at the same, I admittedly have often wondered ... "What am I missing out on by not updating ... anything really critical?"

So my question to the taping community - are the benefits of updating the firmware for this recorder a no-brainer? 

TIA for replies!

I would imagine that there are benefits to upgrading the firmware, but honestly haven't done it myself either.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it...and all that jazz!  However, I should also say that it isn't my only recorder.  I only use mine for stealth shows.  Due to the annoying pixilation on the screen, I use it as little as possible, as I do not feel there is a better recorder to use for stealth situations...but I have several others I use for everything else.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline blackcatbone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
I've found that if I partially remove the SD-Card, then push the power button, it then starts and continues (without freezing) to show the meters and shows "no-card", then I push the SD-Card fully and it then shows "Loading"... From there, it can be operated.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:54:10 AM by blackcatbone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com