Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: Neutral Studio Headphones??  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: ISO: Neutral Studio Headphones??
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 01:51:20 AM »
Personally, I never consider anything complete unless I hear it on several very different systems that I am familiar with.
And that means at least once on the car system (it's full-range and can highlight overlooked flaws)
Mastering to 'phones alone isn't really possible because the bottom end is always rolled off
Small desk monitors will have the same issue.
If no option for "big" monitors, use a spectrum analyser and watch what's  happening under 240Hz
Remember that low frequencies can produce uniquely rich harmonics as formant objects resonate in a recorded space.   (boomtown)
Play what you've completed on a system capable reproducing lows, even if highly colored, just to "know" what's going on.

There's always Beatlephones:

OK, but seriously, on a budget?  Either of these will not break the bank, and are quite neutral
AKG K240
Samson SR850
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:26:27 AM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
I have an old pair of Grado SR-80s that need to be serviced. How would these work out for mixing? I'm using ATH-M50s right now and want to use something a bit flatter.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 12:55:02 AM »
I have heard some describe SR-60 / 80 as great listening, but a bit flavored.
As over-the ear, there may be more anatomic geometry involved than around and covering the ear, but that gets debated.

Fletcher-Munson curve aside, this is the SR-80e:

Mixing for cut-ins, dubs, etc, isn't mastering for balance and presentation, just to keep it clear.   Although there is overlay between the two.

I do use phones, often at least two different types on different days, because we acclimate to sound and other factors even barometric pressure affect how we hear.
However, a good pair of nearfield monitors, with the greatest range and flatest response that you can provide, are probably a better way to go.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:57:08 AM by 108Ω »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 06:16:12 AM »
Sennheiser HD-424 ?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »
Since I last posted about EQing headphones, I've learned a bit more and wanted to share with those interested in trying it out. It is easier (and cheaper) than ever to try this.

AutoEq https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/README.md

The AutoEq project contains 1438 (and counting) EQ profiles for many popular headphones. Basically, they use pinnae-mounted microphones to measure a headphone's frequency response and then derive a paremetric EQ profile to achieve the flattest possible response from them. Check here first to see if your headphones have an EQ profile available before you jump in.

If you read the page linked above, there are instructions on how to apply the EQs in Windows, Android and Linux. If you're on a Mac, I'm sure there are great parametric EQs available that you could plug the raw EQ numbers in to and save/tweak.

I'm currently using (on Windows 10) Equalizer APO > HeSuVi > ODAC > Grado 225 with the provided EQ profile. Equalizer APO is a real-time EQ that works within the Windows audio subsystem. HeSuVi is a GUI that includes the AutoEq profiles as well as virtualization/surround stuff (which I don't use).

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
That looks very cool. I'm looking forward to giving it a try soon.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Sennheiser HD-424 ?

I had them. 414 and 424. My local hifi shop carried them. Loved those yellow ear pads.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
The open-backed Sennheiser 414s with the yellow pads were my favorite pleasure-listening phones ever.

I use Sony V6 for critical monitoring but I don't consider them pleasant, merely accurate. They go loud, so they are often used as studio monitor headphones, but that is for musicians to hear themselves in the monitor mix over live drumming, moreso than for critical listening.

I mix on floor-standing speakers which are really too close to my head (about 2 feet away, totally off-axis, right by my desk) but I'm used to it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »
I have been using Sonarworks True-Fi for a while.  I use it to apply some major correction to my Senn HD600's.  Some other taper turned me on to it a bit ago.

It's giving me more confidence that my mixes will sound the way I want them to sound in headphones, and out of good loudspeakers.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

You can take the particular headphone's baseline correction, and adjust it to an approximation for your age, too.  I found I didn't need as much HF lift as the average person my age does.

I got this awhile ago and I love it! My Shure 440's sound very balanced now and the bass isn't as prominent. A very flat response. Something that I have desired for quite some time.

I am looking to get some studio monitors next. Upgraded to a bigger place to where I have my own room for my music stuff. The dream! But for now, these headphones will do! Great product.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com