Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony "L-series" (NP-F) batteries  (Read 19829 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony "L-series" (NP-F) batteries
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 07:04:52 PM »
^ Maybe I am the only one, but I like the way that SD has it set up. Lots of options. The 8 x AA sled is perfect for most of the shows I go to and, with a small USB-C, I have redundancy. I think I would rather they keep it small than add an internal compartment for AAs (it would have to be 8 to get reasonable runtime).

Well, I haven't used one of those new SD units myself so I defer to your judgement there.  I didn't know those would have decent runtime with 8 AAs.  FTR, that wasn't what I was envisioning; just 4 AAs internal.  Enough so you could hot-swap your external power.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
on a mixpre6, 8 new AA NIMHs can do close to 5 hrs at max load (4 ch phantom power).. but youre at the mercy of your weakest cell and are kinda committed to an 8-cell charger when traveling if doing shows night after night
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 01:03:30 AM »
this showed up, should be super handy and will save me from having to run my actual deck to test batts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8luUE2aaHn8

seems like a cool tool for <$5.00!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HW-586-18650-Li-ion-Lithium-Lead-acid-Battery-Capacity-Meter-Discharge-Tester/254374759002
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »
interesting. trying to envision how that made it tip over, i would think with those two big batteries on the bottom, it would form an upside-down "T" shape and be somewhat stable, did you use both batteries simultaneously or one at a time?

Haven't got the L Mount battery mount for my MixPre yet, but when I do this is my plan:

The slimmest L Mount battery on my body side, and a big large L Mount on the opposite side.

That keeps the MixPre still slim and fitting close to my body when I'm wearing my mixing bag. As you really don't need 2x big batteries to run a MixPre3, a big and small one paired together is more than enough

^ Maybe I am the only one, but I like the way that SD has it set up. Lots of options. The 8 x AA sled is perfect for most of the shows I go to and, with a small USB-C, I have redundancy. I think I would rather they keep it small than add an internal compartment for AAs (it would have to be 8 to get reasonable runtime).

Well, I haven't used one of those new SD units myself so I defer to your judgement there.  I didn't know those would have decent runtime with 8 AAs.  FTR, that wasn't what I was envisioning; just 4 AAs internal.  Enough so you could hot-swap your external power.

Having to charge 4 or even worse 8 AA batteries at the end of the is annoying, and more likely it is two or three times that amount if it is a long day! Just having a single external battery or two is a much much better idea for your workflow and own sanity.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:31:00 PM by IronFilm »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
^ Charging AAs is no problem with an 8-slot charger, or even 2 4-slot chargers. As mentioned previously, the 8 AA sled is a backup to the USB-C battery, so they don't need much time on the charger anyway. AAs also have the advantage of being cheap, easily obtainable, compact, and useful for a wide range of other devices. And the 8 AA sled is pretty small and the same width as the MixPre, so easy for the bag too...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com