Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which do you recomend sigma vs tamron vs pheonix vs others  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Cactus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sittin @ 4-5 2 in a row...WOW!!!
Which do you recomend sigma vs tamron vs pheonix vs others
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:43:10 AM »
hey now,  i know there are mixed feelings on this subject but i can only ourchase what my budget will allow.. soo im curious which has produced the most success.. im prob. going to be investing in a 75-300mm and some sort of macro.. now ive seen some wide angle with the macro feature but have read that this is just a bogus setting and that a true macro is needed.. thanks in advanced.
Cactus ... Cactus

Bring Back The Ugly Funk

Resident Married, Broke, And On Hiatus Taper

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which do you recomend sigma vs tamron vs pheonix vs others
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:09:02 AM »
Canon > Sigma > Tamron > pheonix (try and stay away from pheonix)

btw try to throw these in the photo forum :)

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 10:05:54 AM »
i think after rereading my post it deserves a bit of explanation- i prefer canon's build and support qualities over that of sigma, however some will argue that they prefer sigma.  canon and sigma can be very close and debatable.  check fred miranda's reviews.

I tend to dislike tamron as I find their glass to often be soft and slow.  Phoenix even moreso.

as for the macro, im currently using the 100mm f/2.8 made by canon to do a series of macro projects.  I really like this lens, though at some point in the coming months I will be adding the 180mm L glass macro to my kit as well.  I'm finding that I enjoy working on macro projects quite a bit, though this is something very very new to me. 

There is a macro forum over at fred miranda that you should check out with a lot of good resources there.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 07:20:54 AM »
I agree with Jonny (only I use Nikon).  My first choice is always Nikon glass....then sigma, then tamron.  I have a 105mm macro sigma lens that is great.   I have heard and read many good things about Tamron lens, specifically the Di and Pro lens they make but don't have any myself.

If I had the $$ I'd buy all Nikon/Canon lens but we all know whow that goes.....

I'd stick with Jonnys order:

Canon/Nikon -> sigma -> tamron -> I wouldn't buy phoenix or any others
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 10:50:06 AM »
I agree with Jonny (only I use Nikon). 

WOOOHOOO!! 

::) wishes he had money for canon digital  :-X

/poor taper syndrom
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »
The Canon would have an edge in quality if price is no issue. Had my Sigma 135 f i.8 over 20 yr,a Tamron 28mm, no complaint. I assume they learned something in the past 20 yr,Phoenix? must be some newfangled outfit... Tamron had a 90mm macro back then that was first rate

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com