Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on which preamp I should get... Mini MP or MixPre or something else?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
So I'm thinking about getting a preamp to go with my Neumann mics and R-09, and I'm liking the Apogee Mini-MP and the Sound Devices MixPre so far.  Any thoughts on the Mini-MP vs the MixPre or any other ideas in that price range ($400-700)?  I'm only planning on getting a pre from a major brand (not interested in DIY stuff at this time).  Thanks for any advice!

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
I didn't compare the Mini-MP to the MixPre, but I can recommend the MixPre. It's really quiet, easy to use, absolutely reliable and (what I personally like very much) built like a tank.  Another point in favour of SD is its outstanding customer service. 

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
I didn't compare the Mini-MP to the MixPre, but I can recommend the MixPre. It's really quiet, easy to use, absolutely reliable and (what I personally like very much) built like a tank.  Another point in favour of SD is its outstanding customer service. 

The MixPre is one of my most satisfying purchases of all time (apart from field-recording I started using it in the studio too), does what it does to perfection. Has all the features I need (80/160 Hz high-pass filter, 48V phantom, analog limiter, virtually unclippable front end, L/R routing, 1/8" tape out, inbuilt slate mic and test tone, nice headphone amp, 2xAA battery operation) is indestructible, thoroughly field tested, and small. Most of al as noted by moooose, it's quiet, impossibly quiet, well done SD! :)

digifish
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:50:22 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
I run a mini-mp and am very happy with it ;D. 1-70db is avery nice range.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Having run both a MiniMe and an MP-2 (very similar to the MixPre), I prefer the sound of the Apogee products to those of the Sound Devices generally, but keep in mind that the units that I have run sound very different.  The Apogee was more expansive, warm, and forgiving of poor acoustic environments.  The MP-2 sounds "hotter" and more detailed; you need to carefully match it with the right A/D converter to get the most out of it.  I realize that this does not directly speak to the Mini MP or the MixPre, but with previous models.

I will say that the units have their own set of quirks.  The Apogee has an absolutely horrible form factor and OK metering.  The MP-2 has excellent metering, a good form factor, but the most sensitive level adjustment knobs known to man.  It makes it very difficult to set accurate levels with the unit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:42:27 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Wmorris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
i absolutly love my mini-mp with my 184s, I highly advice the Apogee purchase
km184>MiniMp>modSBM-1>PMD670

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Hey Digifish,

Whats the max gain increase on the mixpre? Have you ever gone that high with it and still had it be [relatively] quiet?

thanks,
sean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
Thanks everyone for the very helpful input.  +Ts all around.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, in terms of build quality, customer service, ease of use, sonic qualities, use with km184 mics, etc.  I do like the  form factor of the MixPre a lot, along with the 1/8" output and the low noise floor that it's reputed to have, but I am wondering if the Mini-MP may work better with my mics and the types of venues I frequently tape in (not the greatest acoustics). 

Think I'll grab whichever one I can get my hands on first and then if I'm not thrilled with the results I'll sell it and try the other one.

Any thoughts of other major brand preamps to consider (for use with R-09)? 

Thanks again to all.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Think I'll grab whichever one I can get my hands on first and then if I'm not thrilled with the results I'll sell it and try the other one.

Any thoughts of other major brand preamps to consider (for use with R-09)? 

Thanks again to all.

That's probably a good idea since your ears may like one over the other and it may make better sounds in your environments.
If you get the mixpre and don't like it, let me know. I'll take it off your hands.

I know you were interested in major brands but have a look at the juiced link. it was talked about here: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105636.0.html

It looks like its more for camcorders but since when do we care what our gear looks like. :) One channel is pretty affordable so its almost a win-win.

Peace
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
Mini-MP all the way. I owned one for a year and a half and I absolutely loved the sound I got. I built a 2x XLR into 1/8" stereo mini cable and it worked great with my Edirol R-1. I'm sure it will work just a great with your R-09.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
i absolutly love my mini-mp with my 184s, I highly advice the Apogee purchase

Hey, +T on the SBM-1>PMD670 combo. You are the only other taper I know besides myself running that combo. It's nice having the control of the SBM-1 and being able to harness any input level due to no active electronics in the line input path, and then have the ergonomic ease of use with the 670 as a bit bucket. I love the big controls and large display of the Marantz. Then there is that margin reset, something I always loved about the DAP1.

On topic: I use a pair of Sound Devices MP-1s, their first ever product and the basis of the MP-2, because I love the way they match up with my 460s. Also, unlike every other SD preamp, including the MP-2, the MP-1 has Lundalh input transformers, but also custom Sound Devices output transformers, making the MP-1 the warmest sounding of all the SD preamps.

Having the mono-blocks eliminates all electronic cross talk between components ahead of the A/D, and also gives you fixed gain that once you dial in the right spot for your mics and recorder, you never have to change them from show to show. And, no outboard powering is required. 2 AAs in each will run them for 5+ hours, far longer than a Mixpre or MP-2.

YMMV, as always......
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Hey Digifish,

Whats the max gain increase on the mixpre? Have you ever gone that high with it and still had it be [relatively] quiet?

thanks,
sean

It stays quiet until after about 90-95% max gain, then fairly obvious noise comes in (however by then it's also amplifying noise from the mic too), it is very quiet at high gain levels. I don't know how many dB that is. Max gain is 66 dB.

In this post I crank the MixPre (90%) vs R44 ...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103270.msg1387447.html#msg1387447
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com