Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA UGLY VS ST9100?  (Read 6197 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
CA UGLY VS ST9100?
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Hi folks. For those who have already upgraded to the "ugly" preamp from Church Audio, what have you noticed in terms of audio performance, between it and the ST9100?
Just waiting for mine to arrive :) The size difference and separate l/r pots are already definite plusses. I'm just wondering what people have noticed about the sound, noise floor etc.

Offline taylordb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: CA UGLY VS ST9100?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:22 PM »
Is the Ugly actually an upgrade?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »
Hi folks. For those who have already upgraded to the "ugly" preamp from Church Audio, what have you noticed in terms of audio performance, between it and the ST9100?
Just waiting for mine to arrive :) The size difference and separate l/r pots are already definite plusses. I'm just wondering what people have noticed about the sound, noise floor etc.

They have the exact same signal path except one has a built in HPF *9100* and one does not. They both use the same caps and the same exact parts in the signal path except the 9100 has a single dual pot for gain and the ugly has two separate gain controls.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Well, while I can't comment the contrast between the two, I can attest that this thing is super small and am really happy with getting this unit after having all the problems with Core Sounds MIC 2496. Not only is it smaller then the battery box by Core, but it does the powering and pre-amp needs that I have for my DPA mics. Thanks Chris for delivering a superior product in the smallest form factor. Possibly those of you considering a pre-amp for your DPA's or Core Sound's HEB should check this out- you will not be unhappy.

DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:39 PM »

Its not an upgrade its just smaller they both have the same specs.

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:05:10 PM »

That's what I thought.  Pretty amazing when you think of how small the UGLY is.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »

That's what I thought.  Pretty amazing when you think of how small the UGLY is.

Its small because I don't have the distortion circuit * clip light * and the Bass roll off on the preamp... And I am using a set of very small pots for gain. That's how I save the space the coupling caps are all the same and so are the ic chips I am using and all of the other parts and values are the same. We are now working on a preamp that will fit on a postage stamp in the next year ( late ) we will have it done.

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:31 AM »
We are now working on a preamp that will fit on a postage stamp in the next year ( late ) we will have it done.

*ears perk up*

Holy smokes, now that one sounds interesting!

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Chris, count me in on the pre-order- I know, I just got the CA UGLY, but a postage stamp sized Pre? I will be all over that one ;-))

We are now working on a preamp that will fit on a postage stamp in the next year ( late ) we will have it done.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:03 AM »
Chris, count me in on the pre-order- I know, I just got the CA UGLY, but a postage stamp sized Pre? I will be all over that one ;-))

*LOL* Why not just build it into a short cable and be done with it? :)

Anyway, just got my CA Ugly ... very very impressed! Of course, like the ST9100, don't try it with rechargeable 9v's. Just for fun I tried a NiMH, fully charged, and it ran for less than two minutes powering my DPA 4061's.

I assume regular alkalines from the Dollar Store or similar will do me fine? I'm guessing I can pick up half a dozen or so and be good for maybe 250 hours?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

*LOL* Why not just build it into a short cable and be done with it? :)

Anyway, just got my CA Ugly ... very very impressed! Of course, like the ST9100, don't try it with rechargeable 9v's. Just for fun I tried a NiMH, fully charged, and it ran for less than two minutes powering my DPA 4061's.

I assume regular alkalines from the Dollar Store or similar will do me fine? I'm guessing I can pick up half a dozen or so and be good for maybe 250 hours?

That seems rather strange I would suspect you have a bad battery. There was a really good 9 volt out there that was 9.6 volts if someone knows what brand it was maybe that would be a better candidate then the one you have. I run rechargeables all the time in my preamps to test them as well as regular alkaline. Do not use DOLLAR STORE batteries.... in anything...

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »
The one  Chris Church liked was the MAHA Powerex 9.6 volt which can be purchased here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-96v230.htm
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »
Postage size pre!  :o Sign me up Chris, for the pre-order. I've been using CA pre and mics now for about a year(?) and absolutely love the combination with the MTII. I'd love to downsize a bit for better  >:D but damn if this doesn't pull great tapes.

Keep up the great work, Chris!  ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
The one  Chris Church liked was the MAHA Powerex 9.6 volt which can be purchased here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-96v230.htm

I have those Mahas 9.6v rechargeables and they do work great.  They power my Neumann km184 with 48V phantom using a denecke ps-2 for over 4 hours, so they should run a 9100/ugly for a much longer time. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »
Postage size pre!  :o Sign me up Chris, for the pre-order. I've been using CA pre and mics now for about a year(?) and absolutely love the combination with the MTII. I'd love to downsize a bit for better  >:D but damn if this doesn't pull great tapes.

Keep up the great work, Chris!  ;D

What input are you using on the MT2 and if you are using the 1/4 inputs are you running them unbalanced by shorting out the ring to ground?

Thanks for the kind words about my products.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com