Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which clip of each song sounds better to your ears (vote once for each song ONLY if you have listened to both recordings of each songs)

Breathe version A
4 (28.6%)
Breathe version B
3 (21.4%)
Cold Hard Facts version A
3 (21.4%)
Cold Hard Facts version B
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Stock FR2LE vs. Busman T-Mod FR2LE true side by side comparison  (Read 36529 times)

Offline tenesejedd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
Stock FR2LE vs. Busman T-Mod FR2LE true side by side comparison
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »
Here we go.

Rastasean recently sent me his FR2LE because he suspected something may be wrong with his recorder. Turns out everything seems to be working fine. While I had it in my possession, I took the opportunity to do a side by side comparison with my Busman T-Mod 2LE.

I set up my Avantone CK-1s with the cardioid caps in front of my home stereo. I chose two songs to record and recorded both songs on each recorder, thus getting a true side by side comparison. Here are the details of my comparison.

Playback: CD>Sony PS3>Pioneer receiver> Technics speaker cabinets (10" sub and 3" tweeter)
Source: Avantone CK-1 Cardioid>Canare Starquad> FR2LEs @ 24bit 44k

Granted that playing a CD through a stereo is a limitation in this comparison as it is not a true live recording scenario (in which we would be using these recorders). I listened to the recordings using my desktop computer > my KRK RP6 studio monitors. I have formulated my opinions about the two recordings, but I will refrain from sharing until others have had an opportunity to give it a listen.

Songs recorded:
Breathe - Pink Floyd Live Pulse album
Cold Hard Facts - Del McCoury Band

I felt these two songs were very well recorded on CD and thought it would give a good comparison of rock vs. acoustic bluegrass.

The file names are ambiguous so as to not reveal which recorder was used. Give it a listen and PM me for the answer. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Files located here:

http://www.box.net/shared/avzfeld2id

Thanks to rastasean for sending me is 2LE to run this test and also for supplying the web space to post these files

-Christos
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:39:54 PM by tenesejedd »
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stock FR2LE vs. Busman T-Mod FR2LE true side by side comparison
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »
thanks

i only gave them a fast listen to and will give a more detail listen to tomorrow
but
i hear small differences (as i did with the other comp posted by will) but not enough to make me get my stock unit modded
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
I picked "A" for Breathe because to my ears sounded more sonic pleasing but I did do this test on my computer w/ crappy speakers. The second sample Cold Hard Facts I picked "B" but really had a hard time hearing much difference. Only picked "B" because it sound more punchy to me and it seemed like the lyrics came in more clear.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:16:56 AM »
I picked "A" for Breathe because to my ears sounded more sonic pleasing but I did do this test on my computer w/ crappy speakers.

Wav > optical out > Zero 24/196 DAC > ER-6

I aligned them in Audacity (shave off like 4 seconds I think on A) and kept flipping back and forth. Thought I heard a difference and wrote that down, then looked at the frequency analysis. It didn't confirm by any means, but it gave credence to my guess.

Didn't listen to the bluegrass part, maybe tomorrow.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:22:14 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I can't seem to download these with firefox on linux..  I click on the download link and nothing happens :(

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I can't seem to download these with firefox on linux..  I click on the download link and nothing happens :(

Sorry this isn't working for you. Send TS member 'rastasean' a pm and he may be able to help. He is the one who supplied the web space for me to post these files.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »
Firefox doesn't seem to see the files but Google Chrome does (first useful thing I've found for it to do!).  However, I won't download due to the file size.  Good idea to try an objective test, though.

A thought - have you checked whether the levels are exactly the same?  If the mod makes a difference in input sensitivity, of course the louder sample will sound "better".

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »
firefox worked fine for me on a mac
the differences i heard i don't think where from levels
it was more in the vocals then anything for me
i can't recall off hand which i liked for the first song, but the 2nd i liked B a little more
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
In sighted listening, I wasn't 100% sure I heard any differences but was somewhat able to convince myself that A was more transparent in both cases.

Then I chopped each file up into pieces and tried to match them back up blindly.  I couldn't.

Interesting to see page's comments on the frequency analysis...using the Fourier Spectrum Analysis in Sound Studio, the files looked very very similar (edit: but not identical).  Can you (page) post or PM screenshots when all is said and done?

Listening done MacBook > wireless > optical out > Onkyo HTR500 > ADS LS710 speakers or Grado SR80 headphones.

As a sanity check of sorts, I compared what I heard with my headphones plugged into my MacBook vs. being driven by my receiver.  Night and day preference for the receiver.  So I'm not deaf, but may not be as golden-eared as some.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:06:29 PM by Will_S »

Offline aleatoric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »
Got a link regarding what the busman T-mod is all about?  Google provided nothing.  Thanks. 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 12:20:07 PM »
Got a link regarding what the busman T-mod is all about?  Google provided nothing.  Thanks. 

http://www.busmanaudio.com/mods.html

Fostex FR2-LE
Vintage and Transparency $175.00 USD
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aleatoric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »
Cool!  I emailed Chris to get the low down.  Anyone know how his mod compares to the Oade Super mod?

http://www.oade.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OBA&Product_Code=FOSFR2LESMOD-GND&Category_Code=FOSFR2LE-SMOD

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »
firefox worked fine for me on a mac
the differences i heard i don't think where from levels
it was more in the vocals then anything for me
i can't recall off hand which i liked for the first song, but the 2nd i liked B a little more
Firefox and mac worked fine for me also ;)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Mike R.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »

Firefox on Linux (Fedora 8) worked fine for me.

Listening through not-very-special PC audio hardware and Grado SR-80 headphones.  I found each pair of recordings very very similar.  I can't pick a preference much less try to identify which is which.

AE5100
AT3032  --> MixPre-3ii
M-88TG

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »
I couldn't hear a difference through my stereo, but I also was simply changing tracks, and didn't set them up in an audio program to switch sources during the songs, so the second of silence I got when changing sources may have taken me out of the zone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com