Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-07  (Read 26014 times)

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-07
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »
Not sure the sensitivity of the ca-11's but have found running my unit with low sensitivity modded at853's with a ca-9100 in-between going line in that I need all of the preamp's juice and still run my levels on the tascam between 6-8 even in very loud situations.  I would suggest that you try to do some home testing before the field.  A general rule of thumb, your preamp is supplying cleaner gain than the onboard pre.  As long as you aren't sending an overloading signal, I say get as much from the external preamp as you can, less from the recorder.  Your 9000 gives you a bit more gain than the 9100, I believe so you may be able to get more from the external a bit less from the dr-07.

got mine by UPS today.  trying it out tomorrow so ill update then.  seems pretty straightforward.  anyone have an opinion on running rec level on 10 and adjusting with gain from a pre(using ca-11s>stc-9000) vs running the rec level lower with a higher level or more gain from the pre?  either way, this sure seems like a step up from the JB3 interface.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
thats what i was thinking.  another factor is that this is an "in the pocket" recording so levels would probably be more consistent like that as well.  glad you got this thread up and going so i have all the info i need right here.

has anyone confirmed the problem stated above with running 24bit?  is there any reason not to run 24bit(never done it before)?  i know thats for a different forum but just wondering if there are any recorder-specific reasons not to.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
I have always run 24bit but no i have not heard anything more about it.  Dsatz would probably know but i wouldn't bother him with a question like that.  on another note i only run open and i like to be able to see my levels at all times.  this takes some serious battery power.  i have found that http://www.staples.com/Lenmar-PowerPort-USB-Portable-Charger-and-Battery-Pack-Black/product_723709?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Technology%3EBatteries-_-723709-PPU2100B gives lots of power.  i didn't get it from here i think i spent 25 on mine.  it works great for festivals when you don't want to turn off your recorder.  the dr-07 goes from external to internal power without skipping a beat so you can use it as a very big external or as a solution to change batteries mid set without losing power.  now i just need to find a right angle power adapter to have it fit nicer in my bag.  I also use this battery to store my gaffers tape.  fits two 2" rolls around it.  this also saves some room.  ;)

has anyone confirmed the problem stated above with running 24bit?  is there any reason not to run 24bit(never done it before)?  i know thats for a different forum but just wondering if there are any recorder-specific reasons not to.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:20:38 AM by crazifyngers »
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
What 24 bit problems?  Haven't heard or experienced anything.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
^^taper I think he was referring to this.
I also purchased a dr-07 and have been happy with it thus far.  I did read in another thread that the 24bit recording is not actually doing anything because the snr of the dr-07 is 87db.  is this correct?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
I also purchased a dr-07 and have been happy with it thus far.  I did read in another thread that the 24bit recording is not actually doing anything because the snr of the dr-07 is 87db.  is this correct?

This is not entirely correct.  Let's take the 87 dB SNR at face value, and assume it's a limitation imposed by the pre-digital-conversion bits of the circuitry.  There's a rule of thumb (and yes, I realize rules of thumb aren't always exactly correct - in fact they hardly ever are, but they're often in the ballpark) that to keep the next component in an audio chain from adding audibly to the noise floor, it should have a SNR 10dB better than the signal being fed into it.  (Again, I am not asserting that 10dB is the right number for all situation, nor that 10.1 dB makes a system transparent and 9.9dB makes it a hissy mess.)  So, in theory, there might be some benefit to having more than 96dB (16 bit) available to encode an incoming signal with an SNR of 87 dB.  Although odds are the signals coming in from your mics aren't that clean, especially at a noisy rock concert venue.

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
^^ exactly what i was wondering before.  thanks for clearing that up.

Offline paytoplay

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
So around 6 on record level and it wont add or remove gain?

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 11:16:29 AM »

This is not entirely correct.  Let's take the 87 dB SNR at face value, and assume it's a limitation imposed by the pre-digital-conversion bits of the circuitry.  There's a rule of thumb (and yes, I realize rules of thumb aren't always exactly correct - in fact they hardly ever are, but they're often in the ballpark) that to keep the next component in an audio chain from adding audibly to the noise floor, it should have a SNR 10dB better than the signal being fed into it.  (Again, I am not asserting that 10dB is the right number for all situation, nor that 10.1 dB makes a system transparent and 9.9dB makes it a hissy mess.)  So, in theory, there might be some benefit to having more than 96dB (16 bit) available to encode an incoming signal with an SNR of 87 dB.  Although odds are the signals coming in from your mics aren't that clean, especially at a noisy rock concert venue.

Single number noise is not telling anything about frequency and character of a particular deck's performance.  So same noise figure for one deck can be very audible, or color a recording, while another model with exact same noise number can be audibly noise less.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
So around 6 on record level and it wont add or remove gain?

Gain levels adjustment are internal.  Click Menu and then scroll down.  I believe its under Recording settings.  The outside level wheel is providing volume control input, no gain.

Offline paytoplay

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
I see. But then I still dont understand what is "unity" and how to control the recording after it.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
I see. But then I still dont understand what is "unity" and how to control the recording after it.

"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.     

Offline deadahead93

• Taperssection Member
    • Archive.org
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.

Not sure I'm following you... When I have my PRE going into the Line In of my Tascam 07 I adjust my recording wheel and it seems to adjust the incoming signal.

I don't want you to to think I am questioning you, I just don't understand what you mean.
Thanks for any info to point me in the right direction.
http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22HClayton%22

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
 ~ Jerry Garcia

Mics: AKG  C480B / (CK61, CK63)
Cables: GAKables
Preamp: Naiant Biggest Box
Recorder: Tascam DR-07

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
I'm considering picking up one of these but had a few questions:

Any recommendations for rechargeable AA's?  I haven't used any since I moved from DAT to JB3 years ago so I doubt the ones I have are ideal.

Has anyone used an external battery for extended festival recording?

Media:  Tascam lists SDHC cards ranging from Class 2 to Class 6 being used successfully.  Has anyone seen issues using slower-rated (and therefore less expensive) cards?
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
i have used a "usb batter pack"  these last for a LONG time, but i never ran any timed tests.  any battery will work, i had a GAK right angle cable made so that it was a little prettier.  good luck

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com