Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-07  (Read 26015 times)

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tascam DR-07
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.     
Not sure I'm following you... When I have my PRE going into the Line In of my Tascam 07 I adjust my recording wheel and it seems to adjust the incoming signal.

I don't want you to to think I am questioning you, I just don't understand what you mean.
Thanks for any info to point me in the right direction.
Can I get some clarification on this?

Is it true? Can you not set any gain when using the Line In? So you would basically have to have an external pre-amp to use the Line In, right? Or hope and pray that the input levels from the mic are neither too high nor too low?

So what function does the 'volume control wheel' perform? Is it just the equivalent of an amplify that you would do on a computer at home in Audition or Audacity? Is this the same in with mic and line in? Is the only way to add gain with the Mic in to go into the menu and do it?

How does this compare to the DR08? Can you use gain on Line In like you can with the Edirol 09?
Line in does not go through a preamp. The purpose of a Line In input is for a source that does not need to be amplified like a SBD source or coming from another preamp. The wheel on the side only attenuates the signal. If you need gain and don't have another preamp, you will need to go mic in.
I realise that, but my understanding is that on the Edirol R-09 the pre-amp can still be used even when going line in (just at a much lower level than mic in), hence all the discussion about finding the Unity Gain level on the R-09 when running line in. IE, I'm sure I've read that the ideal procedure for the R-09 is: go line in with external pre, set Edirol to unity gain, adjust amplification on external pre, and if more amplification is needed bump up the Edirol's gain after the external. From that I assumed that you could in fact access the pre from the Line In of the R-09, just at a much lower level.

Or am I mistaken in that too?

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
"Unity" is meaningless for a Tascam DR-07 or DR-1.  You can't adjust the incoming signal on the Line In at all.  Zilch.     
Not sure I'm following you... When I have my PRE going into the Line In of my Tascam 07 I adjust my recording wheel and it seems to adjust the incoming signal.

I don't want you to to think I am questioning you, I just don't understand what you mean.
Thanks for any info to point me in the right direction.
Can I get some clarification on this?

Is it true? Can you not set any gain when using the Line In? So you would basically have to have an external pre-amp to use the Line In, right? Or hope and pray that the input levels from the mic are neither too high nor too low?

So what function does the 'volume control wheel' perform? Is it just the equivalent of an amplify that you would do on a computer at home in Audition or Audacity? Is this the same in with mic and line in? Is the only way to add gain with the Mic in to go into the menu and do it?

How does this compare to the DR08? Can you use gain on Line In like you can with the Edirol 09?
Line in does not go through a preamp. The purpose of a Line In input is for a source that does not need to be amplified like a SBD source or coming from another preamp. The wheel on the side only attenuates the signal. If you need gain and don't have another preamp, you will need to go mic in.
I realise that, but my understanding is that on the Edirol R-09 the pre-amp can still be used even when going line in (just at a much lower level than mic in), hence all the discussion about finding the Unity Gain level on the R-09 when running line in. IE, I'm sure I've read that the ideal procedure for the R-09 is: go line in with external pre, set Edirol to unity gain, adjust amplification on external pre, and if more amplification is needed bump up the Edirol's gain after the external. From that I assumed that you could in fact access the pre from the Line In of the R-09, just at a much lower level.

Sorry, I don't know about the Edirol. I haven't used it. I have used the Tascam though. It may be possible on Edirol, but I don't know.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »

Sorry, I don't know about the Edirol. I haven't used it. I have used the Tascam though. It may be possible on Edirol, but I don't know.
Fair enough. Either way, judging from your post and those of others, it's clearly not possible on any of the Tascam's, which is what I was trying to find out originally  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com