Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker vs Edirol R-1  (Read 22505 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Microtracker vs Edirol R-1
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 01:02:09 PM »
WiFi, you said you can get 8 hours with lithiums, ever try an external power source ?

No, can't see the need for one with the R1.  I get two ordinary concerts with a pair of lithium AAs (had to change every time to be safe with my DAT), on days when I'm going to two really long events (say a Wagner opera and a marathon chamber recital) I just take an extra set of AAs and an extra CF card.

Jeff

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 01:24:31 PM »
+T Jeff... you are a real asset to this board for being so relatively new! Everytime I read one of these threads and see you so dominant on it I can't believe your post count isn't higher.

So with the R1 you can use any CF card as long as you break the recording... okay no problem.

Do you have any complaints about the R1 I/O?

What would you think of a combo like the MP-2 or MixPre and R1?

Considering you have the MT and the R1 what are your feelings between the two right now?

How about if I throw a stock pmd671 into this mix... and I'll buy it from Doug no matter what... so it can be modded later... but for now let's say it's stock... and it's being fed by the MP-2 or MixPre?

So that's 4 questions that I'd love to hear your answers to...   :)
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 01:49:35 PM »

Do you have any complaints about the R1 I/O?

What would you think of a combo like the MP-2 or MixPre and R1?

Considering you have the MT and the R1 what are your feelings between the two right now?

How about if I throw a stock pmd671 into this mix... and I'll buy it from Doug no matter what... so it can be modded later... but for now let's say it's stock... and it's being fed by the MP-2 or MixPre?

So that's 4 questions that I'd love to hear your answers to...   :)

I have been using the R1 with DPA 4060s and the DPA MMA6000 since January, getting very good results.  I have not used the internal mics nor the R1 preamp at all.   I have an R1 Oade modified for line-in improvements and I would imagine that an MP2 or MixPre should also be great to feed the R1.  I do not really see using something as big as the PMD671 or FR2 in the field (though, gear slut that I am, I have tried both, as well as the SD722, at home).  No problems with I/O, since I never thought of doing digi-in with it and the MMA6000 feeds it fine (I have used from 5dB to 20 dB gain, the MMA6000 goes as high as 37.5 dB gain).

The R1 is, I have found, super reliable.  I screwed up with it three times my first month (once recoverable and recovered), and since then have only lost one (actually 1/2) session when I let the batteries die, much more reliable than DAT.  It remains to be seen if the MT can get to that level, if it does, the size (1/3-1/2 the size of the R1, smaller than the R1 even when using a USB power box) and ability to do 24/96 will make it my recorder of choice.  But it's not there yet.

Jeff

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »
Jeff, I know you are getting like 100 requests per day for things, but if you could take a size comparison photo between the MT and the R-1 I'd appreciate it immensely.

Another thing - I've had MUCH success getting my njb3 in past security by just claiming its an mp3 player.  R-1 owners, do you think the R-1 is passable as an mp3 player?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 03:49:02 PM »
$530 shipped second day air via fedex.  will be here tuesday ;D  When he asked what my mics, power situation and taping prefferances were he recommend the +6db option and said that the +12db would be ok too but we went with the +6db to be on the safe side.  Shouldn't ever be clipping with this since the 4061s have at least a -10db pad without a preamp.  My jb3 levels are usually much lower than that even.  Don't really have a loud show to tape until the 4th but I might hit a jazz gig before then, time permitting. 

Now where do I go to get a deal on flash cards and what brands/type should I get?  Should I maybe get a 4gb and a 2gb just to be safe?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2005, 05:01:32 PM »
Now where do I go to get a deal on flash cards and what brands/type should I get?  Should I maybe get a 4gb and a 2gb just to be safe?

There are a couple pretty good priced ones listed in the Retail section.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 05:39:19 PM »
Jeff, I know you are getting like 100 requests per day for things, but if you could take a size comparison photo between the MT and the R-1 I'd appreciate it immensely.

I don't have an R-1 for photos, but I've posted photos of the microtrack next to my V3 and next to my D8, for size comparisons, over in the other thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=50364.225

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »

I don't have an R-1 for photos, but I've posted photos of the microtrack next to my V3 and next to my D8, for size comparisons, over in the other thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=50364.225

Thanks man, I saw those.  Fortunately, I was able to see one in person last night (freelunch) - so for the MT, I'm waiting for some sound samples... I'm extremely interested in the quality of the A/D's.  I believe Freelunch is using his tonight, so maybe that will give me an idea.

My suspicion is this: The R-1 is going to be a better unit sonically (esp. w/ Oade's mods), but significantly bigger.  I'm just looking to get an idea of how big they are in comparison (I know jeff has said the MT is about 1/2 the size of the R-1), before I make my decision as to which item to purchase.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2005, 05:48:37 PM »
I was looking at the R1 or PMD660, the thing I don't like about the R1 is that even when the unit is "locked" you can still change levels with the dial.  Sometimes I like to put my recorder in my pocket and I don't need the levels getting all jacked up as a result.  I think Hi-MD may be my new recording medium using Hi-SP.  My old Sharp MD has seen better days, but it gets the job done and sounds pretty good feeding the 4061s into line-in. 

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2005, 05:54:47 PM »
I was looking at the R1 or PMD660, the thing I don't like about the R1 is that even when the unit is "locked" you can still change levels with the dial.  Sometimes I like to put my recorder in my pocket and I don't need the levels getting all jacked up as a result. 

I hadn't thought of that, but that's kinda the situation with almost all the stealth gear I've ever had.  I had a recording come out with levels decreasing all the way through the recording because I kept bumping the knob on my Sbm-1.... just have to be really careful, I guess.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »
I hadn't thought of that, but that's kinda the situation with almost all the stealth gear I've ever had.  I had a recording come out with levels decreasing all the way through the recording because I kept bumping the knob on my Sbm-1.... just have to be really careful, I guess.
That's the beauty of my ancient MD recorder, I slide the lever to "hold" and put it in my pocket and don't have to worry about levels.  Although most of the time I'll just hold it in my hand now while taping.  I think recorders should all have this feature, or have levels that are knobs where it "clicks" in for each setting.  Much harder to move those.

blackmikito

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2005, 06:57:01 PM »
I was looking at the R1 or PMD660, the thing I don't like about the R1 is that even when the unit is "locked" you can still change levels with the dial.  Sometimes I like to put my recorder in my pocket and I don't need the levels getting all jacked up as a result. 

With the R-1 the input dial is not like on DAT or the SBM-1. It's actually kind of nice.  It's built in to the left side of the unit and practically flush. Like a typical walkman volume level. Not to mention that it is not overly moveable. Not saying that the dial is stiff, but that it's the kind of thing where if you had a piece of tape over it there' no chance it would move.  With DAT and the SBM, the dials were much easier to move.

Other pluses I see to the R-1 for the average taper is that it uses batteries as opposed to an internal power source. So much less room for error that way and so much more versatile on the whole. Especially for taping roadtrips and things like that where, although you might have a computer handy for show file transfers, you might not have the hours and hours it would take to reliably charge your MT before your next show, or if a show comes up on short notice that you decide to tape, where you couldn't do it because you don't have enough time to charge your MT. And even if you do go with the USB battery pack that people are now talking about (if they can even get that to work), you're kind of blowing the original idea of an "all in one" solution and adding yet one more piece of crucial gear to your chain (which I hate doing-> less is better for me). Besides the fact that the R-1 is pretty much guaranteed to work as effectively as it can for as long as it's shelf life is considering you're not just waiting for the internal battery to die (ipods anyone?).

With regards to the metering only showing one channel, this is no different than what we all had available with the Sony DAT's, pre SBM-1. Even though the Sony's showed different right and left, you could only control the one knob. So, again, no "loss" of functionality with the R-1.

Since I've already popped for the 2GB card, and since the firmware isn't updated yet for file splitting, I may just go and buy another 2GB card to take with to shows, so if it looks like the show is going to run longer than 2 hours, I can just pop the new card at the encore break. As well, I think I'd rather have two 2GB cards rather than one 4GB card. Always nice to have a backup, just like I used to do with DATs.

So far, the R-1 has proved to be a very reliable and great sounding unit, right out of the box, as advertised. Which is probably my biggest issue with the MT. The MT so far looks like an engineering nightmare, and they've been promoting it so heavily since last year, which reflects pretty badly on M-Audio since they obviously didn't pull it off.  I don't have much faith in them fixing all the issues with that thing.
And even if they do, by that time something else will probably have come along. Who knows how many things are in the works. Which is my ultimate point: I have shows to tape NOW, and I need something that works. If and when the MT ever gets fixed or something else comes along, then I'll buy that.  But for now, why get antsy?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 07:10:40 PM by blackmikito »

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2005, 08:06:09 PM »
I sprung for this unit so quickly because I have taping runs till the end of the year starting on the 4th of October.  The data has looked good and I really don't think Oade would take the time to mod a unit they aren't confident in.  There's probably a reason they never did JB3s.  I think this thing will be very easy to crotch since I've not had issues crotching my JB3 even.  What I'm confused about though is how many files can you put on a flash card?  People make it sound like once you get that 2 hours on a card you can't put another one on too.  What's the real deal?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »
WiFi, you said you can get 8 hours with lithiums, ever try an external power source ?

The R1 can be run on 3 volts (YES, 3) external power.  I have run it on my power runner battery, no problem.  I get at least 6 hours run time on 2500 mah rechargeables.

To answer evil taper: you can put as many files on the unit as you want until the CF card is full.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2005, 08:49:39 PM »

The R1 can be run on 3 volts (YES, 3) external power.  I have run it on my power runner battery, no problem.  I get at least 6 hours run time on 2500 mah rechargeables.

To answer evil taper: you can put as many files on the unit as you want until the CF card is full.

How much gear do you actualy have?   ;)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com