Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker vs Edirol R-1  (Read 22506 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Microtracker vs Edirol R-1
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2005, 09:51:21 PM »
Is the r-1 larger than an NJB3?

I'm really leaning this way, because I know it will sound great... I just really need to be able to convince a security goon that its an mp3 player.

+Ts for info... this place rules.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2005, 10:01:47 PM »
Smaller:

3-15/16 (W) x 5-5/16 (D) x 1-3/16 (H) inches

After crotching a jb3 this should be nothing.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2005, 10:21:35 PM »
Can someone with an R1 see if the level adjustment/volume knob can be pulled off?  This seems like the easiest way to prevent accidental level changes, or maybe replaced with a smaller knob.  I'm thinking more and more about one of these since the mtracker seems to be a bit of a disappointment. 

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2005, 11:10:16 PM »
madman... as I understand it the big knob you see on the right side of the face is volume for playback but doesn't change the recording level.

I think this "input level" wheel type adjustment on the side is what you actually set the recording levels with. I expect that you and I were thinking the same thing which is "what the hell would they have that big knob on the face for!? It would be SO easy to knock the rec levels off!"

So hopefully they were smarter then that... and it looks like they were, but hopefully one of the guys who's already posted in this thread will clear this up 100%.

Is that fat knob on the face STRICTLY for playback functions?
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2005, 11:19:24 PM »
Ah--I thought that monster knob in the front also did the input levels.  Hadn't seen that side pic before, thanks!  The taping it down option seems pretty likely with a knob like that.  Maybe a replacement of that knob is still possible, my guess is it's just a knob on a pot to control the input level. 

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2005, 12:02:35 AM »
I thought the same thing when I saw the unit... "tape THAT knob down  :o" but then when I saw this side job I figured it would be zero problem to put an inch of gaffer tape on it. (I'm a video guy and I can tell you that gaffer tape is the shit you want... sticks to ANYTHING and pulls off of anything... clean as new.)

I want to start getting a clear picture of which recorder I want... but I guess it's a compliment to the manufacturers that it's so hard deciding... and to Doug for that matter.

Doug says the serious guys are all going with modded Marantz, and that hobbiests get the R1 or MicroTrack. I don't think I'm alone in considering any of all 4 of the possibilities... but man it sure is hard nailing this thing down. It's easy to see the appeal of the MicroTrack... but I'm not finding too much negative press on the R1... so now it looks like it's between ACM 660, stock 671, or R1... possibly stock OR modded.
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2005, 12:08:21 AM »
The Marantz units have an awful lot of buttons and knobs to make them comfortable to stealth with.  They look nice for open taping though.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2005, 12:09:10 AM »
The big knob is used in conjunction with the menu button to toggle between menu settings. I have pulled it off and can navigate the menu without it. The playback volume is the little adjuster on the top of the unit.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:14:43 AM by gewwang »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2005, 12:16:43 AM »
1 4GB disc should be able to pull either 4 hours 24bit, 6 hours 16bit or 2 hours 24 bit 3 hours 16 bit correct?  That should probably be enough record time to pull all acts at any non jam band non festival show.  Taping even 3 hours of music at a show is pretty rare since most headliners play 70-90 minute sets anyway.  I can't wait to really give this thing a battery of tests from different kinds of situations and music. 8)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »
1 4GB disc should be able to pull either 4 hours 24bit, 6 hours 16bit or 2 hours 24 bit 3 hours 16 bit correct?

24/44 - 4hr 24min
16/44 - 6hr +

I can't wait to really give this thing a battery of tests from different kinds of situations and music. 8)

I own one so it already has been.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2005, 12:26:45 AM »
Riggity rad!

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2005, 01:25:19 AM »
Jeff, I know you are getting like 100 requests per day for things, but if you could take a size comparison photo between the MT and the R-1 I'd appreciate it immensely.

Another thing - I've had MUCH success getting my njb3 in past security by just claiming its an mp3 player.  R-1 owners, do you think the R-1 is passable as an mp3 player?

I will try to post the pictures tomorrow.  No way an R1 could pass as an mp3 player, except maybe a pre-first generation one or an audiophile tube mp3 player!  Also, I agree with the folks who tape down the R1 input volume knob, mine's never been used and I generally forget it's there.

Sorry to respond slow, but I was out taping tonight, and have two concerts tomorrow and two Saturday (with the R1), busy busy.

Jeff

blackmikito

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2005, 03:01:06 AM »
A list of my why I personally like the R-1 (and perhaps why you'd like them too) and why I'm not currently interested in the Marantz models and the Microtrack:

-The size. Just because the MT is the size of a deck of cards doesn't make it anymore useful if now I also have to get a USB battery pack, and a stereo dual 1/4 inch to 1/8 adapter (to use the MT line in) just to make it work at minimal expectations. Sure, those additional things don't take up all that much space, but neither does the R-1. I had no problem crotching DAT, so this thing is an absolute breeze. And considering my rig is mics->homemade batt box->R-1 line in, I'm pretty much as light-traveling as I could get.  Obviously the Marantz units are huge in comparison to either the R-1 or MT, and therefore not an option for me (and I suspect most of you who want something they can open tape AND stealth).

-Battery powered. It uses only two AA batteries and not an internal power supply. As has already been proven, the MT's battery life is questionable at best. And like I said before, internal power supplies have only so much time before they quit holding charge, which pretty much means you can only use the MT only so long over time before it will stop powering long enough to record a show of any length, which leaves you with having to have the internal battery replaced. Apple paid out big because their ipods weren't holding even half of the advertised juice. And already, people are resorting to hacking their ipods just so they can replace the battery themselves. That's nuts, especially since with a decent set of AA rechargeables you have easy-access power with the most minimal charge time. So, with the R-1, you can switch out batteries any time you want. And batteries are available at every grocery store and gas station in the country. And since it only uses two, any standard pack of four gives you two backup.  I don't have the time to be worrying about "geez, did I charge the MT long enough? Am i ruining the charge cycle by not letting the battery completely run out? Will I have enough power?"  It totally defeats the purpose of stealthing if I have to be checking the unit every ten minutes to make sure it hasn't died, not to mention waiting three+ hours for it to even charge each time I want to use it. This whole powering issue is one of those things that I have no idea where someone decided a "permanent" power supply was better than a removeable/replaceable one. If it's not broke....

-Easy layout and use. The R-1's button function is like a DAT or traditional walkman/stereo, so there's very little "re-adjusting" to be done. It has play/stop/volume/record/input buttons that are extremely easy to adapt to and are quick to set. Apart from the simple presets of your recording (bit rate, sample rate, stereo) there is no additional menu scrolling and click after click. In fact, the menu is as stripped down, intuitive, and as straight forward as can get, dare I say idiot-proof. To record, hit the record button twice, adjust levels, and then put the unit on Hold.  Plus, the location of the input level button makes it so you don't have to worry about wrecking your levels after you put the recorder in your bag. It's hard enough to mess up even without tape over it. I give similar praise to the Hold button and power switch. An extremely well designed unit, button wise. Oh yeah, and for you people asking about the Value Wheel...it has nothing to do with your active recording. Once you have the Hold button on, it's frozen as well. And no, it isn't the input knob, it's just for scrolling the menu.

-The screen light. It's a dark orange/red that is much more stealthy IMHO than the bright blue light the MT has. Sure it's nit-picky, but it's a nice feature.

-The R-1 actually works, the MT does not. Half-working does not count. You don't buy a car that has an engine that doesn't start, but decide to get it anyway because the windows roll down now do you?  There is no telling when the MT, if ever, will be working correctly.  And by then, the R-1 can only have gotten better as well. Power issues appear to be the least of the MTs problems.  And even if the MT was working, I still think the physical design of the R-1 is better. I'm all for more manual control and less menu scrolling.

-Last but not least, the R-1 sounds WONDERFUL. People on this board have already expressed that the R-1 is AT LEAST as good as mod sbm-1, and that's stock. Coupled with the fact that this unit works OUT OF BOX and is reliable, I am more than happy to stay in 24/44.1 for a long while.  Time is money, and when there are shows to tape the last thing I need to be worrying about is whether or not my recorder is gonna let me down.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:05:29 AM by blackmikito »

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:29 AM »
thanks for your own thoughts, blackmikito. +T to you.

i had been hoping, VERY MUCH, that the Microtrack would replace my M1. even if the Microtrack were working reliably out of the box, the two issues - albeit "small" ones, but they do seem more and more like "deal breakers" to me - that make the Microtrack less appealing to me are:

1) the 'permanent' battery. like a lot of others, i would much prefer it taking AA batteries. i don't want to feel obligated to carry a USB pack (no matter how small it may be) to power the Microtrack as a "just in case"... it's another piece of equipment, and since most of the shows i tape have to be stealth, i want to keep the number of pieces minimal (mics > power supply for mics > recorder). period.

2) the need for 1/4" to mini-plug adaptor to use either of my sets of mics. again, this isn't a huge issue, by any means, but it's yet another drawback. it's either that or use an attenuator. either way, it would mean adding another piece of gear to my current setup. i know, a plug adaptor or attenuator is not that big, but again, personally, i want to keep my setup as small and stealthy as possible.

the only two drawbacks, in my personal views, that  i can see as far as the R-1 are as follows:

1) it's not as small as, or smaller than, the Sony PCM-M1. (not a  huge deal, i used to tape with a D7.)

2) i wish the R-1 taped at 48 kHz. since i do like to burn my untouched masters to DVDs to listen to (without breaks) in my DVD player, it would be nice to not have to mess with resampling/upsampling from 44.1>48. also, for the very few artists who i do tape who are cool with taping, i usually will video tape, and hence it's nice to tape at 48 kHz so again, no resampling needed for the resulting DVD.

but to me, these are much more minimal  than, e.g. if it didn't record reliably, having to charge it up and be concerned over powering the recorder, having to use an attenuator/adaptor.

the bottom line for me is, if the R-1 were smaller and recorded at 48 kHz, i wouldn't have even waited to see how the Microtrack works out of the box.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 04:21:09 AM by h_vargas_2001 »

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2005, 04:40:39 AM »
is there an audible differance in sample rates?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com