Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtracker Firmware Update v1.1.5 Beta 10/7/05  (Read 27098 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtracker Firmware Update v1.1.5 Beta 10/7/05
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 11:27:18 AM »
Okay, tests complete. As updated in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51534.0

The 1/8" still does not support line mode

gain
              min      max
              ---      ---
1/4 line in   +14      +26
1/8 Line in   +29      +41
1/8 M         +41      +49
Ah, so there is a difference in L and M modes for 1/8" input but not as required for real line level operation.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »
doesnt appear that the "M" postion is any different from the "H" position when recording from 1/8" input

I believe that is clearly stated in the manual to be that way. Not sure though...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Kevinlane

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 02:00:17 PM »
doesnt appear that the "M" postion is any different from the "H" position when recording from 1/8" input

I believe that is clearly stated in the manual to be that way. Not sure though...

yes it is stated in the manual.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »
the 24 bit S/PDIF input is the first thing I'm going to test. 

How'd it work?

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »
the 24 bit S/PDIF input is the first thing I'm going to test. 

How'd it work?

24/96 doesn't work at all.  but then, the firmware update text says that S/PDIF has been improved to 24/48.

24/48 S/PDIF seems to work great.  I recorded a few 5 minute files, then transferred them to my computer to take a look.  they open up in Cool Edit 2000 just fine, as 24 bit files :)

I am now about an hour into my test to see what happens when it hits 2 gigs.  about another hour to go to see what happens.  here's a funny thing though.  I am using a Sandisk 4 GB card.  freshly formatted.  when running at 24/48 with the S/PDIF input, and recording a file, the "time left" at the start of my test was just under 2 hours, or what the total recording time of the card would be running at 24/96.  with a 4 gig card, I should get close to 4 hours of recording at 24/48.  maybe it just knows that this is when it will hit the 2 gig limit.  I'll post again when this test is done.

and as far as general stability goes with the S/PDIF input, it appears to be much better.  hasn't frozen up on me yet.  even when sending it a 24/96 signal, the unit won't record it, but if I hit the "record" button a 2nd time, it goes into the "writing file" routine, and I then have a 24/96 file that is 0 seconds long and something like 5kb in size.  but then I can go do other stuff on the unit.  So while it won't record a 24/96 S/PDIF signal, the unit won't completely lock up either.

one other thing, based on my earlier test of the S/PDIF input (with the old firmware, and at 16 bit), and I am assuming that it is bit-accurate.  in the short 5 minute 24/48 samples that I did, there weren't any noticeable spikes or clicks, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bit-accurate.  I guess I should record some 24/48 data into the MicroTrack and also into my computer (via EgoSys Waveterminal 24/96 soundcard), and then compare the files.  that will tell us if it's bit-accurate at 24 bit or not.  however, I don't think that I'll have time to do that test today.  hopefully tomorrow.

other things that I've noticed with the new firmware.  start recording a file, engage the hold switch.  and then press and hold the power button.  my unit still turns off.  M-Audio said that they fixed that with this firmware, but I don't think they got it right yet.  however, that seems to be a bigger concern for other folks, but I'm not really worried about it.  on the other hand, I never plan on using the analog inputs and I rarely stealth any shows.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »
ok, my 2 hour test is complete.  when recording at 24/48 via the S/PDIF input, it hit the 2 gig limit and displayed this message: "media full"  but because I was using a 4 gig card, the media was obviously not full.  I could start another 24/48 recording, and again, it told me I had just under 2 hours (another 2 gigs to use).  I then recorded 4 or 5 more, short (i.e. 1 to 2 minute) files, just to play around.  all the files transferred and opened in Cool Edit 200 with no problems.  nothing got corrupted when it hit 2 GB, just that the recording stopped.

another test I did was use a stopwatch and time how long it would take for me to stop/save a file, and start a new recording.  about 10 seconds.  with this firmware, I have two issues:

• no autostart of new file at 2 gig limit
  • no 24/96 S/PDIF input

but really, at this point, I'm happy recording at 24/48 (until I get an 8 gig CF card), so the 24/96 S/PDIF is a lower priority for me.  but the 2 gig limit thing, that is HIGH priority for me.

if this firmware actually is as stable as it seems to me right now (no freezes yet), then I am ready to use my D8 not for a full back-up, but only sparingly.  basically, my idea, so I don't have to buy any more blank DATs, is to record at 24/48, and watch for when it gets close to 2 gigs (2 hours).  many times, a set is shorter than 2 hours, so it won't be an issue at all.  however, there are also many times when a set will go longer than 2 hours.  I'll get the DAT rolling just before I stop/save the MicroTrack recording, and then stop the DAT recording again after a new file is being recorded with the MicroTrack.  that way, I'll just have to splice in the 10 seconds or so from the DAT.  not ideal, I know, but until M-Audio can get a work-around for the 2gig limit, it seems to me a good option.   also, the 2 gig issue seems to me a bigger issue when recording 24/96, because then you've only got an hour of straight time before you hit 2 gigs.

they are getting closer, but not quite there yet.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 05:14:06 PM »
good info jason. +t. have you tried or can you manually start a new file before it hits 2gb limit? or does it have to be stopped/saved?

another test I did was use a stopwatch and time how long it would take for me to stop/save a file, and start a new recording.  about 10 seconds.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 05:25:49 PM »
good info jason. +t. have you tried or can you manually start a new file before it hits 2gb limit? or does it have to be stopped/saved?

another test I did was use a stopwatch and time how long it would take for me to stop/save a file, and start a new recording.  about 10 seconds.

with this firmware, you cannot start recording a new file until after the last one is stopped/saved.  you press the record button again to stop/save the file, and then it creates the file.  then you can press record again to start a new file.  as mentioned above, this process is takes approx. 10 seconds.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 05:38:13 PM »
great info Jason, thanks for running these tests and sharing the info with us!

+t in 12.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline onebear

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 05:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the info much appreciated :)
MBHO 603A/KA-200N > Sound Devices MixPre > M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 [SanDisk Ultra II 8 GB]
G5 > M-Audio Audiophile 192 > Behringer DEQ 2496 Ultracurve Pro  > Tapco (Mackie) S8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://onebear.net

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 08:17:19 PM »
my rec time available now shows only 3:01:59 with a freshly formatted 4gb card...that's not right.  it didn't do that before the firmware upgrade.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 08:40:36 PM »
my rec time available now shows only 3:01:59 with a freshly formatted 4gb card...that's not right.  it didn't do that before the firmware upgrade.

It seems like it calculates available time based on the 2g fiile limit and not the total available on the card.  In some ways, that's more relevant information since the recording will stop at that point anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 08:45:19 PM by jbraveman »

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 08:15:19 AM »

It seems like it calculates available time based on the 2g fiile limit and not the total available on the card.  In some ways, that's more relevant information since the recording will stop at that point anyway.

yes, that is exactly what it does for me.  gives me the available time up to the 2 gig limit.  but this requires a little more effort on the part of the user, because you need to keep track on your own how much space is actually on your card.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 11:46:45 AM »
Great info, Jason, thanks!

Hopefully it will still test out to be bit-perfect on spdif in with this latest firmware.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 01:23:01 PM »
I was under the impression that the 1/8th inch jack was consumer line in and the 1/4" was pro-line in
I would also guess that firmware canot change the gain structure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com