Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony Debuts PCM-D1 Field Recorder at AES  (Read 15216 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony Debuts PCM-D1 Field Recorder at AES
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
$1550, includes 4 gb flash memory.  Seems like the same ball park as an ACM 671.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=sonpcmd1
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 08:22:39 PM by zowie »

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2005, 03:04:25 AM »
if the mics are pretty good it'd be an awesome stealth box. 

talk about all in one. 

i really wanna hear those mics.

Who will be brave enough to act like a mic stand for hrs and hold this thing up towards the stage? Don't think any one doing stealthing want to expose themselves doing that. It's like asking for trouble. Definately not for stealthing!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2005, 03:17:40 AM »
Sony has finally put up more information on the PCM D-1:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m=0&p=10&sp=83&id=82662

Any thoughts of the specs?

no digital input = crap.

sony is missing the boat with this one.  a totally and utterly useless piece of junk, IMO... and i think that is true for most everyone... built in mics and a 1/8" input as the only inputs... jeezus, who the hell decided on this design? 

OK...I understand.  But for some uses, neither of those might be a big deal.  What if the mics sound great? Apart from those, any indication on the quality of the other components?  I am trying to get an idea if there is anything in the specs that indicate how good this thing might sound.

My use would be to record live classical music...solo or small ensemble type settings...

Thanks.

You going to hold this thing up throughout the concert and look up at the meters while recording? It does not sound too practical if you sacrifice your body as the mic stand. ;) You cann't adjust the mic spacing/position either.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

zowie

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2005, 10:08:58 AM »

Who will be brave enough to act like a mic stand for hrs and hold this thing up towards the stage? Don't think any one doing stealthing want to expose themselves doing that. It's like asking for trouble. Definately not for stealthing!

It might fit in a very large hat.  You could stealth rodeos and amish shows.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 12:00:40 PM »

It might fit in a very large hat.  You could stealth rodeos and amish shows.

+T for discovering the market segment Sony is aiming at.  Anyone have any FLAC files to share of hot Amish shows?

Jeff

Offline Cyril

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 12:01:20 PM »
If you go to Sony's Japanese website they have a picture of some sort of tripod that I guess they will make available with it:

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200511/05-1109/

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »
If you go to Sony's Japanese website they have a picture of some sort of tripod that I guess they will make available with it:

that is pretty funny.  still doesn't solve all the problems that it potentially has... built in, non-adjustable mics, not digi-input, etc...
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

zowie

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 01:53:22 PM »

that is pretty funny.  still doesn't solve all the problems that it potentially has... built in, non-adjustable mics, not digi-input, etc...

You know, there are actually some comments on boards that claim the thing is a photoshop hoax.  Obviously we know by now that it is not, but its very telling that some people looked at it and thought it was.

marc0789

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »
can those goofy ass mics be bypassed? because if not, this is one of the dumbest contraptions ever. having trouble even envisioning how this would be easy to use on location, let alone ambient taping. ::)

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »
can those goofy ass mics be bypassed? because if not, this is one of the dumbest contraptions ever. having trouble even envisioning how this would be easy to use on location, let alone ambient taping. ::)
That;d be a nice mod. rip off the mics and add xlrs. but then you've just gutted a $2000 memorystick recorder.
yuk.

NEXT!
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

marc0789

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 02:45:03 PM »
That;d be a nice mod. rip off the mics and add xlrs. but then you've just gutted a $2000 memorystick recorder.
yuk.

NEXT!

not talking about ripping them off. I asked if they could be *bypassed*, Mr. ADD. :P

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2005, 02:53:23 PM »
one way to bypass would be to get a PS-2 and power your mics - get the one with stereo mini-jack output, and you have effectively bypassed them... not that i would do such a thing, but it is possible that way.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »

Maybe that would work for onstage taping?  I wonder how much Sony spent making this thing, and I wonder how many they will sell. 

You know, there are actually some comments on boards that claim the thing is a photoshop hoax.  Obviously we know by now that it is not, but its very telling that some people looked at it and thought it was.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2005, 04:01:59 PM »
yuk.

NEXT!

not talking about ripping them off. I asked if they could be *bypassed*, Mr. ADD. :P

I think you're reading too much sarcasm into my post. I actually mean ripping them off in the sense of using the appropriate tools (read: not a hammer.)
But really, I think the device is more worthy of leaving on a shelf until sony gets it right.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 05:09:25 PM »

Now that I look at it a bit more, I see another way to use it in the field (and thus the intended market).  It could very well be a modular snap-on head for the lateat model Aibo Robot Dog.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com