Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4 Experiences  (Read 20226 times)

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-4 Experiences
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 01:59:48 PM »
since this thread is rolling along....

how about running the R4 vertically?

I have a laptop back pack with a inner foam compartment that I could put some more foam at the bottom of and bring the R4 up to the top.... would be perfect for carrying the extra crap I need for a long show plus be really padded from any vibrations...
?>FR2LE

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 02:06:05 PM »
Most drives don't mind being run on their side but some warn against running upside down. I would try and find out the model of drive in the unit.  Maybe you could find that out from windows when the unit is connected?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 02:07:03 PM »
since this thread is rolling along....

how about running the R4 vertically?

I have a laptop back pack with a inner foam compartment that I could put some more foam at the bottom of and bring the R4 up to the top.... would be perfect for carrying the extra crap I need for a long show plus be really padded from any vibrations...

I ran it vertically in the factory carrying bag, and never had any problems. It was only when laying flat that I got the HDD Slow message. FWIW, I only got that error once, and taped the exact same band, at the exact same venue, setup in the same place a second time, but ran a Check Disc prior to the show and the error didn't happen again.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 02:11:09 PM »

[/quote]

I ran it vertically in the factory carrying bag, and never had any problems. It was only when laying flat that I got the HDD Slow message. FWIW, I only got that error once, and taped the exact same band, at the exact same venue, setup in the same place a second time, but ran a Check Disc prior to the show and the error didn't happen again.
[/quote]

Why did you move away from the R-4?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »

Why did you move away from the R-4?

Size issue...I couldn't fit it in my bag, and was tired of carrying 2 sets of gear to every show.

It's a great unit, was amazing for doing matrixes, and 4 channel + 24/96 is impossible to come by for cheaper, but I was looking for as compact a rig as possible.

Oh yeah, and I'm a gear slut that's owned damn near every piece of gear ever talked about on this site at least once  ;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »
Problem with the R4 as I understand it is that you can't record to the CF card, only to the hd, which is another stupid design flaw.

wow, i didn't realize this.  you're absolutely right.

from page 70 of the manual: 
"You cannot record directly onto a CompactFlash card, or play back files from a CompactFlash card."

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 03:44:19 PM »
I'd pretty much decided to buy an R-4 and then I started hearing some negative comments about the analogue stage, and hearsay that NicksPicks had backed off a bit from his positive review.  I may get it after all, but for the moment I'm again waiting to see how the new products turn out.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 04:40:40 PM »
honestly, Nickspicks reviews are all pretty much like that. They start out glowing, then a couple of months later he comes back with negatives. I've heard enough of it to know that it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 05:00:09 PM »
honestly, Nickspicks reviews are all pretty much like that. They start out glowing, then a couple of months later he comes back with negatives. I've heard enough of it to know that it sounds pretty good to my ears.

So, someone else besides me has realized this too?

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »
I'd pretty much decided to buy an R-4 and then I started hearing some negative comments about the analogue stage, and hearsay that NicksPicks had backed off a bit from his positive review.  I may get it after all, but for the moment I'm again waiting to see how the new products turn out.

I've circulated a bunch of shows recorded on the R-4 with nothing in front of it. It sounds great without a pre. You can check archive.org to give it a listen.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 07:01:36 PM »
decisions, decions.

The r4 is really what I want, but the HD-p2 and 671 are tempting. I wish they had a hd to dump to like the 722.

zowie

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 10:36:25 PM »

So, someone else besides me has realized this too?

To the extent that's true, he's in the company of plenty of professional reviewers, not limited to audio gear either.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 10:46:47 PM »
been playing with it all eve...

is it really this easy to use?

the box takes about 10 seconds to boot up, and then is ready to record...

just press record? and that's it? seems to simple...

what about saving the files at the end of  a set?  just press stop?
does a new file start right after, if I was to press record again?

I don't have the manual, but this seems almost to easy.....
?>FR2LE

zowie

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 10:48:36 PM »
WHOA.

WTF!

Minidisco changed price for $1200 to $1550!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:51:46 PM by zowie »

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 02:19:17 AM »
been playing with it all eve...

is it really this easy to use?

yes!  ;D

the box takes about 10 seconds to boot up, and then is ready to record...

just press record? and that's it? seems to simple...

what about saving the files at the end of  a set?  just press stop?
does a new file start right after, if I was to press record again?

I don't have the manual, but this seems almost to easy.....

sorry i really should have addressed some of these questions last night when i handed it over to you!

it is indeed that simple.  just hit record!  at 1:02:10 or so, it'll autostart a new file -- no need to do anything, and no samples are dropped.

and yeah, just hit stop when it's done!

at 2 channel 24/96, you've got 18 hours of record time.  4 channel 24/96, 9 hours. 

and i'm assuming from your post that you found the phantom power switch -- left you a voicemail about that this afternoon.

call me tomorrow if you have any gametime questions!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com