Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4 Experiences  (Read 20227 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Edirol R-4 Experiences
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 02:43:45 AM »
Cascade Media has a very decent price on the R4, includes free shipping

I am contemplating purchasing one.
mics & cameras

Offline timP

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
only major praise for the R4 after running it from 7pm to 3:30 am Sat night...

flawless performance. no HD Slow messages,
the 9 second pre-record kicks ass and save me a couple of time, getting someband intros I would have otherwise missed...
just press record at bam it's rolling..
nice meters
easy transfers...
sounds great so far
I am pretty much sold on the 24bit idea now

thanks pedro!
?>FR2LE

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 03:49:38 PM »
I LOVE my R4!!!!  no hdd slow issues yet (I always set it on a peice of 2" foam and almost never do a hd check for format).  I have not been dumping the drive after each show.  Pre's sound pretty damn good.  Transfer is super fast.  A wallyworld batt lasts forever... about 5 hrs I think.  Levels are a little trickey to judge at first but you get used to them.  Display, function, and use are well thought out and easy to use IMHO.  I could care less about not recording to the cf as long as the hd works.  I would never leave any sort of a hd in my car in the winter and then try to boot up before it was warm.  I lost a hd on a pc that way once.  I highly recommend the r-4.

Matt 
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bsellman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 11:08:20 AM »
I've used my R-4 twice now.  But a bit of background.  I've got many years of recording experience, always with two mics (and long before digital!).  Have gone from Sony PCMF1 through DAT, Alesis Masterlink (ML9600), and now also have an R-4.  I used to use Schoeps mics, now use Earthworks for about 7 years (incredible mics).  I have recorded many concerts (classical/choral type, not rock) and have released about 30 CDs (see http://www.dtrmusic.com for a list and audio samples).

I firmly believe that the most important quality aspect is to record at 24 bits.  Great improvement in quality at any sampling rate and when you get to the final (CD) stage at 44.1/16 bit you are only at that quality level as the very last step.

The first time with the R-4 I recorded at 44.1/24 bit and had no problems.  It was a quiet concert (16 voice madrigal choir, no instruments), so the levels were at about 12:30.  Ran on AC power because the 1.5 or so hours off of the AA batteries doesn't cut it.  The sound on the recording was very good.

The second time was actually two performances on the same day of the same concert, a continuous 1 1/4 hour performance.  I was recording these at 96kHz/24 bit and was recording 4 channels in a surround sound setup with 4 phantom powered Earthworks mics.  The first concert recording was a disaster because of Edirol R-4 power limitations.  Between setting levels at the pre-concert practice and the start of the concert the external power plug had fallen out of the jack on the R-4, so I was (unknown to me) running on batteries.  After about 18 minutes I saw the "low battery warning" flash.  An odd message on AC power until I discovered the "non connection".  I had read in the manual that you can't switch power sources, but took a chance (unfortunately) and plugged in the AC power.  The R-4 immediately shut down and lost all of the 18 minutes.  I then had to restart it and recorded the rest of the concert without incident.

I consider the fact that the R-4 does not seamlessly switch between battery (internal) and AC (external) power sources inexcuseable.  Laptops have done that for many, many years.  If the R-4 worked as it should then you could have batteries in the unit as a backup power source, so if the AC/external was lost it would work from the internal batteries, and vice versa.  Obviously simple technology these days.

After being distressed by the loss of part of the first performance (the first time in many, many years I ever lost part of a concert, and this was a paid job), I was in a major panic during the second performance when after just over one hour I noticed that the big time display said about 3 minutes, rather than 1 hour plus.  Then after the performance was over I tried playing back (keeping my fingers crossed) and could only play the last 10 or so minutes of the concert.  Found out that the first part was saved in separate files, but for some reason they were not initially displayed in the find function.  (I think I corrected later this through a system playback option.)  I've been told it's somewhere in the manual, but I hadn't seen it, that the max file size is only 2 gig (which is just over an hour at 2496 stereo) and that the R-4 automatically switches to a new set of files.  I was relieved when I found the recording was complete, but I think that users should be made very aware that this will happen and isn't a cause for panic.

Nick (nickspicks) has mentioned that the quality of the mic preamps leaves much to be desired.  I think that while they can be improved, it is critical to avoid recording with the level controls set too low.  I had to set the levels for recording the two performances, which involved a 150 voice choir, pipe organ, and brass group, to below 9 o'clock (below the 2nd tick mark) and I also used the limiter in the R-4.  Later I learned that the limiter acts separately on each channel and therefore should be avoided.  Nick mentioned that the line/mic switches just insert a 23 db pad early in the input chain and will work even when using phantom powered mics.  It would have been better to select line on the input switches and then set the levels on the pots more in the 11 o'clock to 3 o'clock positions to be in the midrange of the preamplifier's amplification range (where the quality should be better and you have more control over the actual level).

Sometime I will try to record using external Earthworks mic preamps that truly are top notch and use both the R-4 and an Alesis Masterlink for the recording to compare quality.

I also think that Alesis needs an additional display mode where the entire width of the display is used for the 4 input meters (and, obviously, there are no output level meters) and the meters then use the added width to display more detailed levels.  They currently are marginally useful for setting levels.

Be aware that Alesis reverses the polarity of the DC input jack from the "standard" if you get an external battery pack.

I consider the carry case useless except to transport the R-4 itself (with no AC power adapter, spare batteries, or anything else) and not something where you can run the R-4 while it's in the case.

The R-4 provides a lot in a small and inexpensive package.  The inability to switch power sources automatically is a big failure.  The meter displays need the additional option I described. 

Bob

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 05:03:41 PM »
I emailed oade bros about the price and mod, here's the reply:

"We get _____ for them and hope to have the upgrade ( TMOD ) available
the first of March."

With this news, I'm almost positive I'll be grabbing an R4 from Oade in the near future. It's going to be my dedicated onstage matrix rig (I have a regular gig with one band) and I'll run onstage mics + sbd > R4. I also inquired in the email about my specific situation to see if I could get one of the stereo inputs tweaked for line-in sbd, but as you can see they didn't acknowledge that. Although my dream matrix rig is a 744 with a v2 as the frontend, an oade R4 will be killer value.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline timP

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
transfered 3.5 GB in 10 minutes

no issues w/ the file split

seemless

box kicks major ass
?>FR2LE

Offline timP

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=32435

another R4 source from a small club w/ a pretty nice sound system

lemme know what ya think
(already know I love this box  :P)
?>FR2LE

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »
Had another great experience with the R4 on NYE; no issues at all just proping it up on the edirol carrying bag. I love the sound with the MG 210's > R4 via Line In. I used the RS 9v 6000mah battery for the first time on NYE and was abe to grab NMAS, Trey (52 minutes before I was shut down) and TBC, all with no powering issues. Keep it from vibrating and I like the R4 very much.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2006, 09:40:04 PM »
FWIW, spoke with the Oade Bros today and they're planning a T mod for the R4:  starting to try out components in early Feb, ready for sale in March sometime.  I inquired about modding 2 ch T and 2 ch W, and they indicated it probably won't happen since the R4 doesn't provide enough power to the internal components for the W parts they usually use.  Hmmmm...hoping they look for / find alternative W components - I'd love 2 ch each of T and W.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline bhtoque

• So much music, so little time.
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2006, 11:22:23 PM »
hoping they look for / find alternative W components - I'd love 2 ch each of T and W.

You and me both.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2006, 10:42:16 AM »
FWIW, spoke with the Oade Bros today and they're planning a T mod for the R4:  starting to try out components in early Feb, ready for sale in March sometime.  I inquired about modding 2 ch T and 2 ch W, and they indicated it probably won't happen since the R4 doesn't provide enough power to the internal components for the W parts they usually use.  Hmmmm...hoping they look for / find alternative W components - I'd love 2 ch each of T and W.
now wait a minute Mr. "King of the Comps"!  I thought about that to, but I had such a good time comping mics with the r4 the one time I have done it so far I don't think I would want different flavors. 
     BTW, I was really wanting to be the first to have it, but money is going to be tight for me for a while so I will spill the beans... busman2 is interested in doing a busman mod to an r4.  I keep wanting to send mine out but I haven't yet seen the light of my financial funk, so if another non-oade r4 owner wants to contact him I think his mod would be pretty sweet.  He also had an answer for the vibration/hdd slow issue that has plagued some of us.  He wasn't overly confidant that he could fix the need for the line-in switch at shows but he was going to look at that for me too.
     There are many ua5 owners on this board who have raved about his service and his mod so I think the r4 mods would be a good investment from him.

Matt

On another note...  I did a recording 2 nights ago using internal AA rechargeables and they died just before the encore of the 2nd set.  I don't know if this has been discovered already, but I lost the whole wav when it died.  I was recording 2 chan 24/96.  It left the name but it shows a -0- K file size and won't play from the r-4.  I also tried the hd check feature and it didn't help.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 10:47:31 AM »
I would LOVE to get on the 24bit bandwagon with a busman2 R4! I don't have the funds for that yet (besides, I'd rather upgrade the mics before I move to 24bit), but I'd love to hear a busman2 R4 if/when this happens.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
I would LOVE to get on the 24bit bandwagon with a busman2 R4! I don't have the funds for that yet (besides, I'd rather upgrade the mics before I move to 24bit), but I'd love to hear a busman2 R4 if/when this happens.
I'm dying to hear it too.  I like the r4 already, but I miss my v2... if a busman mod would bridge that gap I would be one happy camper.  I'll just go on record saying that if anyone does this mod with busman, encourage him do do just one side intitially so we can have a comp of mod vs std.  I will gladly ship out any of my mics for the mod if anyone has a like pair so we can get a good comp.

Matt

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 03:36:12 PM »

What kind of funds and turnaround time, ballparkwise, are we talking about?  My R-4 should arrive next week.

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »

What kind of funds and turnaround time, ballparkwise, are we talking about?  My R-4 should arrive next week.

I dunno. Try sending busman2 a PM for his details. I can say that his UA-5 mod was very resonably priced and turnaround time was fantastic! At the time, he only needed a few days to work on/test the UA-5 to make sure everything was good to go. However, I'm sure turnaround time is dependant on his personal time and the amount of work he has coming in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com