Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So ... recording with the iRiver. finally feasable?  (Read 44747 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: So ... recording with the iRiver. finally feasable?
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2006, 12:51:18 PM »
Does the large remote for the H120 and H140 have a button to turn the recorder on and off?   

Flintstone

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »
what about the newer H10... can this be used for taping? anyone?
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2006, 11:02:31 PM »
Flintstone: yes

Stejampzy: Not really.  The H10 doesn't record to wav (mp3 only).

A patch for a very configurable Automatic Gain Control has just been added to rockbox for the iriver hxxx: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=2841.0

I'm yet to test it, but it looks like a lot of thought has gone into it.  The peak histogram looks kinda funky too. :)

Petur's put in some work recently to make the clip-meter far more sensitive too.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2006, 04:23:41 PM »
just thought i'd share my experiences using this machine.

i have been using it for a little while now w/o the recording enhancement pack, and so far no real complaints yet.  i use dpa 4061s with it.  right now for stealth situations, i don't even use a battery box now, nor do i even add gain (normalize later) during recording.  nice to be able to keep things so simple.  however i do figure i may need to upgrade w/ the recording enhancements pack in order to get negative gain when i go see arena shows..

had one minicrisis the other day.  did a show, and left it on hold from the beginning to the end so 3+ hours straight recording.  now, i know it was recording because instead of checking levels, all i do is look for the red light indicating that the hd is in use.  at the end of the show i stopped recording and tried to turn the machine off.  took a little while, and when i tried to play the file again, it wasn't play able.  first thing i noticed was that there was only one file.  there should have been 2 due to the length.  i got home and found that the file was 0 bytes. eeep.

was able to fix this after reading the rockbox.org forums.  all i had to do was 'chkdsk /f' the hd.  then yes to recovering the lost chain.  the wav header is screwed up but the data is all there and open-up-able in your regular audio programs.  at least data recovery here is easier than on an MD.

by the way, does the iriver have some sort of kill switch which shuts the machine off via hardware? i tried playing the recovered file on the iriver and the machine just froze up.  couldn't even turn it off.  had to leave it on all night until the battery died

*edit*: figured it out.  i just wasn't pressing the reset button hard enough.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 11:12:29 PM by firmdragon »

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2006, 11:55:56 AM »
I would still recommend using a battery box with the 4061s.  I have recorded a few things with the 4061s straight into the iRiver, but get the feeling they are under powered.  I am not certain though.  One of my recordings seemed a bit distorted at points though it never clipped.  I don't think the iRiver provides enough power for the 4061s.  Most posts I have seen say it provides less than 5v, around 3.2v and the 4061s need a minimum of 5v.  They work, but I don't think they work to the full potential going straight into the iRiver.  I don't have a lot of chances to test this out so I can't really say this is all for certain.  Others report going 4061s straight into the iRiver as well with no problems, if it works for you, keep it up but I would test it out with a battery box just to make sure.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2006, 01:04:53 PM »
I've got a question about setting levels using the line in (with a mic) and Rockbox.  As I understand it, up to ~ +20 dB you are using the analog preamp to add gain.  Anything beyond that is digital gain, correct?  Are there any advantages or disadvantages to applying that digital gain during the recording process vs. in post-processing?  All else being equal, it seems like it would be safer to add the digital gain later, allowing you to normalize just below clipping.  But do you get more bits to work with doing it in real time?

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
Having finally made the jump to Rockbox on my H120, let me join the chorus of "WOOOOHOOO!!"

Bit of a learning curve to figuring out how to adjust the settings and getting the right version set up (one of them seemed to consistently crash the codecs on playback after - and only after - recording) but the one I'm using now works absolutely fine and has been stable so far.

Works a treat and the features are great - v impressed with the accurace of the rec meters, which (after using a JB3) wasn't something I was too hopeful about!! But they're great and I got a good first-time-out-under-Rockbox recording just using those.

This and the JB3 will hold me nicely until I'm ready to jump to 24 bit.  And I have to admit that now the iRiver can do the longer file lenghts, it may trump the JB3 for me on stealth gigs simply cause I CAN use the built-in pre and thus have less to carry.  I still heart my JB3, but no doubt that less gear is a Very Good Thing as far as I'm concerned.....
DPA4060
R09

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2006, 01:58:45 PM »
fyi, I started Team iRiver in the Team Boards section... come on down and share your experiences, questions and answers:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62469.0
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline playit_leo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2006, 04:06:19 PM »
Ok, so I haven't read every post yet cuz I'm new here, but what I really want to know and cant seem to find at the Rockbox site is
will an Iriver H320 or H340 support FM recording with Rockbox??  Anyone in the know??

thanks!

Offline Weazel

• Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2006, 05:16:49 AM »
the h3xx firmware is based on the H1xx firmware.
switch on your radio, browse to the recording menu select line in, and record while radio plays then it records from the radio.
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2006, 02:21:12 PM »
I just noticed this, in case anyone has been shoping for one...

http://www.woot.com/

iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player & Recorder - Remix Blue
$139.99+ $5 shipping

condition:
    Refurbished
product(s):
    1 iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player/Recorder
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
I just noticed this, in case anyone has been shoping for one...

http://www.woot.com/

iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player & Recorder - Remix Blue
$139.99+ $5 shipping

condition:
    Refurbished
product(s):
    1 iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player/Recorder

Please note that rockbox has not yet been ported to the H10 (as distinct from the H120 or H140) and they are note reliable recorders.

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2006, 07:33:09 PM »
Good news: It looks like rockbox will have at least initial support (and likely more) for optical recording on the h1x0 within 48 hours.

One of the senior devs decided to tackle it, and is reportedly a good chunk of the way through the dev.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2006, 08:52:19 PM »
these guys are great, we should send them a fruit basket or something...
mics & cameras

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2006, 12:51:13 AM »
Yeah, so after I tried to see what was up with the dev of this on the RB feature request flyspray board (and posted a comment), I got slapped with 'stop waiting and start working' from badger.  So, I guess even after I warned you guys not to bother the developers, I went and did it myself....I am a FUCKIN' IDIOT!

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/3041

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com