Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09  (Read 50204 times)

Offline kfrinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
Re: Edirol R-09
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 05:05:29 PM »
Hmm... i was all excited about getting a MT, i thought it would go well with my CMC-8s which really suck ass with the JB3 (i wish someone could tell me why, as no one hs problems with them when going into a D8.... has to do with impedence?), at least I could do good old phantom power.  But now, this little guy.... that would be nice.  I just with there were more specs on this guy... Time to play the waiting game AGAIN.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »
Hello:

I don't doubt that some retailers sell it for less than the MAP, I was just comparing apples with apples (MAP to MAP).

Chris

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 08:57:57 PM »
No digi-in and no balanced inputs (no phantom either?) seem to be two pretty bad things to me?

Maybe this is the ultimate stealth machine if the pre and a/d turn out to be good, but I'm not sure it'll be much more than that without these basic inputs?

BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
No digi-in and no balanced inputs (no phantom either?) seem to be two pretty bad things to me?

if they ever build a box this size and price point with a decent pre, I will be shocked...I wouldnt count on it happening any time soon...as for digi in...the primary users of this box are not going to require that as a feature...

I can understand somes reluctance to use the A/D in units like this, because it is tough to believe that it can be on par with a $$$ box that does it...and you know what it may not be...but you shouldnt let that decision be made based on preconceived notions...

Honestly, I think the A/D that is built into the R1 is top notch....really, really quality tapes made with that setup. 

as always, judging things on specs is a really bad idea...I would suggest listening to one...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 09:31:35 PM »

Maybe this is the ultimate stealth machine if the pre and a/d turn out to be good, but I'm not sure it'll be much more than that without these basic inputs?

I'd run this with an Mp2 or Sonosax anyway.  If the A/D is as good as the R1, it will be a winner for me.   ;)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2006, 11:36:21 PM »

I'd run this with an Mp2 or Sonosax anyway.  If the A/D is as good as the R1, it will be a winner for me.   ;)

The other thing is if you run electret mics, you don't need phantom power.  Build a combination three-wire battery box + 20dB gain preamp and you're set.  I used this (AKG CK93 + batt box/preamp) into a MD this week.  I could easily use an R1/R09 instead and benefit from the better ADC.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2006, 01:18:07 AM »
As a consumer first and engineer second, I have to point out that if this (or any of its competition) was designed properly the conversation we'd be having wouldn't be, "well, if I run it with my ______ it will be fine for me," but rather, "cool, now I can get rid of my _______."

How sad that we've been so well trained to compromise.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:21:15 AM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2006, 04:18:08 AM »
What is troubling with the Sound Professional ad is the recommended accessories...spefically the external record level meter...hmm no onboard record level indication?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/ED-R-09-B.jpg

If you notice from that pic...the unit is in playback mode...still not 100% sure  if the same meter also operates/displays during recording...probably does but not verified at this time with the available documentation

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2006, 10:27:12 AM »
What is troubling with the Sound Professional ad is the recommended accessories...spefically the external record level meter...hmm no onboard record level indication?

If you notice from that pic...the unit is in playback mode...still not 100% sure  if the same meter also operates/displays during recording...probably does but not verified at this time with the available documentation

It would be strange indeed to have meters only on during playback and not during recording.  Unfortunately, this is precisely what the cheap iRiver iFP-7xx-8xx flash mp3 recorders do, presumeably because of the limited CPU power available while encoding.  Oh dear, I hope not... 

The good news is that I notice what seem to be clip/over indicators on the far right of the scales.  Surely you wouldn't need clip indicators (they would never light) during playback?  Also, the Peak light is a Good Thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:31:58 AM by gl0bber »

Roving Sign

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »

I wondered if that was a fake display screen - photoshoped in - like perhaps they havent finalised the layout...what kind of screen is that? Black and white LCD???

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »
I wondered if that was a fake display screen - photoshoped in - like perhaps they havent finalised the layout...what kind of screen is that? Black and white LCD???

OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) displays really look that good.  One of my recorders has one, blue, not white, but still amazing to behold imho.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2006, 09:38:04 PM »
My indecision on which flash based recording device to buy has increased with the announcement of this product.  I'm guessing I won't be replacing my M1 until 2007.

a few +Ts

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
My indecision on which flash based recording device to buy has increased with the announcement of this product.  I'm guessing I won't be replacing my M1 until 2007.

a few +Ts

Couldn't agree more.

+T
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
My bit bucket is working good (MT). I don't stealth with it. I use my V3 at 24/48.

I wouldn't buy one of these without some sort of digi-in. SPDIF or Optical.

If it will really only takes a 2gb card like it says, and not 2gb file, that would would mean swapping a card, not starting a file.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2006, 09:52:41 PM »
So we have any contacts on this list who will receive an "early look" unit?

Then these people can report back to us what they find based on how "we" use these devices in the field?

Greg

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com