Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Irver question  (Read 2339 times)

Offline CreepingDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Quick Irver question
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »
Hi all,

I recently taped Springsteen, it was my first time with an iriver, and my levels were too low. Anyway, the 2GB limit was reached and I noticed that it did not seamlessly record into a new file like it should. Although I caught the whole show, this doesn't sound good for future events, particularly the upcoming Download Festival. I am wondering if there is any settings that need to be adjusted to swith this on, or anything else I should know? I read in the FAQ and it said it was meant to be automatic.

I did notice an error message at the end, something about reaching the HD limit, but there must have been over 10GB left on the thing. It was full of stuff from the previous owner which I deleted, should I have formatted it to refresh its memory in some way?

Let me know, I want to get a good recording at Download for more than just the mighty Metallica! [My friends like the other bands, I think they're all crap.]

Thanks

Offline Microbe

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Quick Irver question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:26:42 PM »
Hi,

Did you load Rockbox on it?  If you're running just IRiver you wont get the results you want.

http://www.rockbox.org/

I should also add, I hope you have a Rockbox compatible IRiver!,
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:30:53 PM by JEFan »

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:14 PM »
He should have Rockbox running, otherwise the limit won't be 2GB, but 700-800MB (can't remember exactly, never used it without Rockbox  :))
And you are right, the new file should open automatically after reach the limit...maybe some of the old files are not deleted properly and are still in the trashbox. Set the view to 'all files' and look into that folder. And anyway format it is never a bad thing getting it second hand  ;)

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
Creeping Dave: If you're running rockbox, go to the main menu > Info > Debug > view disk info.

Then scroll through to 'Free'. See if its reporting the correct free space there.  If not, you may need to re-scan by clicking the joystick in.

If you're still having probs, go in to windows and empty your recycle-bin.

If you're still having probs, reformat.

Are you running a build with AGC installed?  There was a bug with that at one stage that was misreporting free space.  Screwed up my David Gray recording.  Wasn't happy.

I've also had issues with this in the past - usually it was caused by deleting stuff through windows explorer.  For some reason the drive doesn't re-scan.  Since I've been manually re-scanning (see directions above) i haven't had any issues.

If I haven't already I'll add this stuff in the FAQ...but I think I may have touched on it already.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline CreepingDave

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 07:04:18 AM »
Thanks all for your help. I should have mentioned that yes rockbox is installed. Anyway, I checked the free space according to Info/Debug/View disk info and it does confirm 15gb free space. The trouble is, I don't know if it was a one off, or if it will happen again, theres no way of knowing if it will record continuously next time or not. For now I will assume everything is fine, i'll reformat as well just in case.

Thanks again.

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 07:35:36 AM »
make proofs at home and, if the problem is still there, try stopping recording manually before reach the limit and start a new file (you'll lost just 1 second between songs, not a big problem  :))

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:41:36 AM »
I recently taped Springsteen, it was my first time with an iriver, and my levels were too low.
How come? Was the available range too small? afaik, you should get up to +48dB - this is the combined analog and digital gain of the iriver.

Anyway, the 2GB limit was reached and I noticed that it did not seamlessly record into a new file like it should. Although I caught the whole show, this doesn't sound good for future events, particularly the upcoming Download Festival. I am wondering if there is any settings that need to be adjusted to swith this on, or anything else I should know? I read in the FAQ and it said it was meant to be automatic.

I did notice an error message at the end, something about reaching the HD limit, but there must have been over 10GB left on the thing. It was full of stuff from the previous owner which I deleted, should I have formatted it to refresh its memory in some way?

So you got an errormessage after the 2GB of during the next 2GB? If the latter, maybe use chkdsk /f to salvage any leftovers of the failed recording.
With 'not seamlessly record' do you mean there is audio missing/corrupted/... between the two files?
Formatting is the best way to go imho, defragging is much slower. Don't forget to errorcheck too.

If you find anything reproducably wrong, do not hesitate to post a bugreport on the rockbox tracker or mention it in the rockbox forum. Although I'm sure whatboutbob will bring it to our attention too ;)

Offline CreepingDave

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:34:31 AM »
The level problem was my fault, im still a newb taper, and was stealthing so didnt check on it much. This won't be a problem in the future.

Basically after the show finished, I left it going until I was outside which was when I first looked at it. I expected it to be still recording, onto a new file, but instead it just finished after the first 2gb, said something along the lines of a HD error, it was supposedly full I think, and didn't even move onto the next file. It did create a new file, but it is 0 seconds long. I thought this to be quite odd. When I say not seamlessy recorded I meant it did not record at all after the first file was done. I did get the full show, so it wasnt a problem this time, but it could happen again.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »
Creeping Dave: If you're running rockbox, go to the main menu > Info > Debug > view disk info.

Then scroll through to 'Free'. See if its reporting the correct free space there.  If not, you may need to re-scan by clicking the joystick in.

If you're still having probs, go in to windows and empty your recycle-bin.

If you're still having probs, reformat.

Are you running a build with AGC installed?  There was a bug with that at one stage that was misreporting free space.  Screwed up my David Gray recording.  Wasn't happy.

I've also had issues with this in the past - usually it was caused by deleting stuff through windows explorer.  For some reason the drive doesn't re-scan.  Since I've been manually re-scanning (see directions above) i haven't had any issues.

If I haven't already I'll add this stuff in the FAQ...but I think I may have touched on it already.

Sweet, thanks for posting this info.  My H140 keeps reporting 57GB of space, I definitely need to re-scan the HDD.  I also delete files via windows explorer.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com