Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new Sony MD deck in the works...very taper friendly  (Read 21234 times)

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
Re: new Sony MD deck in the works...very taper friendly
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2006, 11:50:12 AM »
there are several nice features, which make that drive VERY interesting (from http://www.mdcenter.nl/redirect.php?file=http://www.mdcenter.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2084):

d) the RH1 remembers live-recording settings. E.g. when you change the recording level from AGC to manual it will remember it even after changing discs or turning the walkman off. The only time when the settings are lost is when removing/disconnecting the Li-ION battery.

e) during a recording you can adjust the mic-sensitivity and recording-level on the fly without interrupting recording.

k) releasedate in the EU: 3th week of may.

damn!! i love my iRiver H120, but this drive may be better for stealthing because of its small and slim case.
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2006, 04:41:20 PM »
a) Data transfer speed: when transferring a 135 MB file to the RH10 and RH1 the RH1 took about 136 seconds and the RH10 277. Conclusion: transferring data via Windows explorer is about 2x faster than with a 2nd generation Hi-MD.

I wonder what the specs of the computer he was using were.  Moving data to the drive is different then uploading it to the pc via sonic stage.  I hope these guys test out that speed as I think it will be much slower then just a simple file transfer...altho reading to a disc is faster then writing to it so perhaps it will be just as fast.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2006, 06:58:01 AM »
yeah you are right, we will see whats possible after the release ;)
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2006, 09:02:17 AM »
This truly is an epic release for the minidisc format. Especially for people like me who have 100's of legacy md's with no easy way of getting them onto the computer. The big issue I see with this unit is the removal of the AA sidecar battery in exchange for analog line-out function. This seems strange since this unit is aimed at the taping community. 6 hours of PCM recording on the lithium ion seems ok for a concert. But expand that into a full festival. Is two really enough... three...? And remember you can't change the battery mid-set now. Do you really want to have to worry about finding your car and recharging for the next day..waking up changing batteries...waking up changing again... how many do you think you can charge overnight? The only option here seems to be an external USB supply with it's own battery level meter. A mighty big solution for what was such a small recorder. And all to do the same job a sidecar and a AA lithium could have done. As a long time minidisc user I think Sony really let it slip with that....but I'm carrying a bunch of shit anyway....what's an extra USB power supply.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »
two things:

- does it have a hold ? (and what kind(pressing for s few secs?)\

- does it have levels on the remote?

if not...there is always the Iriver 120  ;D
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2006, 09:59:36 AM »
The only option here seems to be an external USB supply with it's own battery level meter. A mighty big solution for what was such a small recorder. And all to do the same job a sidecar and a AA lithium could have done. As a long time minidisc user I think Sony really let it slip with that....but I'm carrying a bunch of shit anyway....what's an extra USB power supply.

I have seen those USB power supplies for under $10.  Just stick 4 AA's in that and it should be fine.  The question I want to test: will it power the unit with just the USB power supply or will it only charge the battery?  My guess is both: power and/or charge.

You would really only need that for long recording ventures: Christmas Jam, festivals,etc.  But, then again, an extra lithium battery can be had for less than $20 off ebay.  I will probably just get 2 batteries and see how far I can go on that setup with my RH10 with NiMh as the backup. 

two things:

- does it have a hold ? (and what kind(pressing for s few secs?)\

- does it have levels on the remote?

Almost every MD unit has a hold button, will check on that for the RH1.  I have the RM-MC40ELK three line remote and it does show both channel's recording meters and I can adjust using the remote.  It is fully functional with the new unit and all Hi-MD units.  You can't intiate recording with it but you can take it out of Rec-Pause,etc.  That remote usually runs @$70-80. 

Any LCD MD remote will show you recording levels (not meters) and you can adjust.  You can get a LCD remote off ebay for less than $20.
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2006, 10:15:04 AM »
yes, i saw the old button in one of the pictures

Offline MoFo2

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning how to tape
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2006, 12:23:40 PM »
I am opting for a R09, but if this can do lossless (16/44) without having to swap discs...

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »
The MDCF site is now confirming the HOLD button has moved to the bottom of the unit.  Nice to know it's still around! :coolguy:

MDCF cofirmation reply post

I prefer to set my levels and then just put it on HOLD until the set or disc is complete.  No need to worry about accidently pushing the wrong button while recording.  The HOLD is a must as most of us know. 

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »
Im not really seeing the 6hour recording limit as too much of a problem.  How many festivals are you going to record in one yet?  2 maybe 3?  Heck for another $20-$30 you can pick up an extra battery off ebay so surely that would be enough.  Even with multiday festivals you still go home that night and can recharge the battery or at the very least charge it in your car if you don't go home.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline wedraper

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Back in the saddle!
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »
is there even talk anywhere about making 2gb mds or larger?  is that even possible with the current technology?

wed
AT853rx > UA-5 > MZ-RH910

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2006, 10:42:57 PM »
is there even talk anywhere about making 2gb mds or larger?  is that even possible with the current technology?

wed

Ive seen a picture of a 2GB disc but nothing else.  I would gladly pay more for a 2GB disc as that pretty much would eliminate any need for disc swapping.  I could also tape the openers and headliner in pcm all on one disc.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2006, 01:48:04 AM »
I've seen a pic as well, but always thought it just may be a little Photoshopped wishful thinking
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
If I remember correctly, being compatible with legacy MD formats has prevented going over the 1Gb disc limit?  Maybe the next generation/model will strictly be a Hi-MD unit and offer larger disc sizes. ;D

nameloc01

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

wed

Ive seen a picture of a 2GB disc but nothing else.  I would gladly pay more for a 2GB disc as that pretty much would eliminate any need for disc swapping.  I could also tape the openers and headliner in pcm all on one disc.
the 2 gb disc would be the cats ass. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com