Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2  (Read 23342 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2
« on: April 01, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »
I'm considerind getting one of these two units to replace my MicroTrack.
I've read everything that has been posted already (although there isn't too much about HD-P2), and they seem fairly comprobable.  Just so we can try to keep this discussion focussed: here's what I want.  I only ever plan to run S/PDIF from my V3.  So I don't want/need an ACM PMD-671.  (I don't know if Doug even mods the Tascam yet, but even if he did, I'm not really interested).  Additionally, I'm not considering the Sound Devices units, mostly because of cost.  I've thought about selling everything, and buying a 722.  but I like the V3 too much, and I can't part with it.  (also, I like the CF cards better than harddrives.  no moving parts :)  and I never really tape festivals, so the storage limitations of CF cards aren't really a big deal to me.)  So, S/PDIF from the V3, and something that will reliably write the data.

Here are the basic features that I care about:

Marantz PMD-671
  • seamless auto-split feature: yes
  • size: 10.4" x 7.3" x 2"
  • 15V DC external powering (although people have successfully powered it with 12V ? )
  • reliable: yes

Tascam HD-P2
  • seamless auto-split feature: yes
  • size: 9.6" x 7.4" x 2.36"
  • 12V DC external powering
  • reliable: yes

pricewise, both are pretty much the same.  within $30 of each other.  right now, I'm leaving towards the Tascam.  it's a little smaller than the PMD-671 (well, less wide.  The Tascam is slightly thicker, and slightly taller).  but both would fit in the bag I already use.  (for reference, the V3 is 8.3" x 6" x 1.6")  I'd probably get an external battery (12V SLA?  maybe there's an a good 12V NiMH option out there, I need to check it out.)

I guess, what I'm wondering it, has anyone actually used both of these units?  can anyone actually provide a direct comparison?  They seem very similar to me, and it appears as though both would be a good option.

edit to add:  what I'm really interested in hearing about it the useability of each unit.  I'm assuming that both are well designed, but, is one or the other a hassle to use?  does one have a really great interface? etc, etc...

thanks for any input
- Jason
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 07:49:29 AM by JasonSobel »

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
love the tascam, flawless. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »
love the tascam, flawless. 

I say the same about the Marantz.  I've never used the HD-PD, so I have no point of reference, but the 671 is damn near the easiest thing I have ever used.  Once you set the presets, you just turn it on and hit record.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:32:09 AM »
FWIW, Doug Oade made a comment on his board that he prefered the Japanese build quality of the PMD671 over the Chinese built HD-P2. I'll fluff the PMD671 here too. I own it and love it.

Yes 15v - 9v will power the PMD671. I use battery packs an/or a 12v SLA. I recently have had success with certain NiMH batteries internally.

edit:

Doug was selling the unmodded PMD671's for $850 shipped too. That's cheaper than you can find at most of the other outlets.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:34:54 AM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »
thanks for your comments everyone.

I've been looking on the web, specifically at www.batteryspace.com, and it looks like there are plenty of NiMH external battery packs that I could use instead of a lead acid battery.  which is good, because I already have a smart charger for NiMH battery packs that works with 6-12V batteries.  where as if I get a 12V lead-acid, I'd need to get a new charger for that as well.

how about current draw on either of these.  I'm guessing it won't be too much, because I won't be using phatom power, or the internal pre-amps, etc, etc...  maybe a 12 V 5 AH battery?  more power, less power?  how much amp-hours in all of your batteries?

Doug was selling the unmodded PMD671's for $850 shipped too. That's cheaper than you can find at most of the other outlets.

I've gotten price quotes from Oade, Cascade Media, and Sonic Sense (all the usual folks).  They are all very similar, and I've done business with all three before.  so that's not really not a concern right now.

more comments are certainly welcome.

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 12:05:06 PM »
nothing to add but same interest in the hdp2
I like the point of being able to record at 24/192 not that I will be anytime soon at all, but it seems like it would be nice to grow into and something to hold onto for quite a few years.
don't know though just looking and not in any hurry, going to stay 16 bit for the summer I think
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:34:57 PM »
fwiw, i run a sony dmx-p01 4ch digi mixer to my unmodd'ed 671 via s/pdif and love it. i use LiION batteries from batteryspace - 14.8v battery pack rated at 6000mah as well as a 12vsla that will power both the mixer and the 671. i have used reels, cassette, pcm-beta, dat to tape with over the years (i'm 48) and find the current combo to be the best i have used in ease of use and portability.

were i to be using this setup w/o the sony, i am not sure i would be so happy. i don't think the menu on the 671 is all that intuitive. of course the sony menu is soooo simple to use that perhaps i am just spoiled by it. still, i feel the 671 build quality is pretty damn good and the only problems i have had with it are related to rechargeable batteries and the battery sled. i suggest you read the 671 thread that is alive in recording gear and see what you think.

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
I too am going to purchase  the tascam...I first looked at the 671, but since a friend got the tascam and feels its flawless and the reputation of the P1 as a tank.  The P2 is likely the dirrection I will go.   Plus the recent issue with the 671 not accepting 8gig cards and the tascam not having any trouble accepting 8 gig cards has swayed my choice to the tascam....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 02:03:25 PM »
for those of you who use the HD-P2 - here's a question for you.  Can you easily view the screen from any angle?  Here's my concern.  I'd like to use the same bag as I've been using.  it's a nice bag.  when looking straight down on the bag, the HD-P2 will be run vertical, and the V3 will be vertical just below it.  So, usually the bag is on the floor in front of me.  with the tilt of the screen, and set up in this configuration, the screen will actually be slanting away from me.  will I be able to view the screen?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 02:09:12 PM »
i have played w/ a stock 671 and and an acm671. both are  soooo easy to use and sound phenomenal. i have never used the tascam, so i can't comment. i only use internal AA's for power and have never had an issue. doug also said he liked th a/d better on the 671 (i know that doesnt apply to you, but other people might be on the fence). i have only used kingston 45x 4GB cards, and both work flawlessly (never tried an 8gb). i dont go over 24/48 so 4gb is plenty for me.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

kskreider

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 03:07:20 PM »
Sounds like it might be time for some folks to gang up and do a shoot out between the 671 and the P2.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »
been wondering the same things as jason, great thread

im currently on the fence towards the tascam
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 04:55:44 PM »
FWIW, Doug Oade made a comment on his board that he prefered the Japanese build quality of the PMD671 over the Chinese built HD-P2. I'll fluff the PMD671 here too. I own it and love it.

Yes 15v - 9v will power the PMD671. I use battery packs an/or a 12v SLA. I recently have had success with certain NiMH batteries internally.

edit:

You can get it cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-PMD671-Portable-Solid-State-Recorder-PMD-671_W0QQitemZ9706530271QQcategoryZ14976QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some places will beat or match online pricing, too. Most likely you can get one for less than $800. When it first came out I purchased a stock 671 and after a few weeks I sold it because I never thought I would use it because of the size especially putting it together with my V3. (I record classical music and no one carries a big bag in the arena of classical venues).

Now, like Jason I'm thinking of getting another 24 bit recorder because I don't trust my MT. I am planning to use my V3, too. So I might purchase the 671 again (or try the Tascam). I am also thinking of other options, maybe getting the 702 or 722 (not really interested in the HD version because I always backup my concerts by the end of the day at home...never keep them in the recorder so no point getting a 40GB HD with the recorder). Or I might wait for a new portable 24bit recorder with S/PDIF input. I know Zaxcom is going to release a new mini CF recorder (ZFR100). I might just wait and see if it is a 24bit recorder with S/PDIF input before deciding on what to buy. Planning of getting a new 24bit recorder by End of Sept.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 06:13:34 PM »
I've gotten price quotes from Oade, Cascade Media, and Sonic Sense (all the usual folks).  They are all very similar, and I've done business with all three before.  so that's not really not a concern right now.

more comments are certainly welcome.

I sold my 671 because I knew I wasn't going to get much use out of it for at least 6 months, I planned on replacing it before summer.  When the Tascam unit was announced I was pretty interested in it, especially that it can accept a time code that I could use for post matrixes.  Even though the Tascam has the time code feature the construction of the unit doesn't sound all that great.  Doug commented that the CF slot was pretty cheap, the internal components left some things to be desired and that the A/D in the Marantz sounds better.  Since you're using the V3 you might just want a bit bucket, but if you bought a stock 671 unit from Oade you could always have it modified in the future if you wanted to try it.  With the results I got from my BCM (Basic Concert Mod) 671 when compared to my V3 sources of the same shows I wouldn't hesitate to run mics>671.  I can't wait to hear an ACM 671, you might even be able to sideline the V3. (or run 2 rigs)   ;) 

Side note:  I had no problems powering the unit on internal NiMH's or an external 12v SLA, both gave me plenty of time.  With 2200mAh Powerex cells I let the 671 roll for 4.5 hours and it still had juice left, I was recording line in without supplying phantom power, after that I started leaving the SLA at home.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 12:35:48 PM »
for those of you who use the HD-P2 - here's a question for you.  Can you easily view the screen from any angle?  Here's my concern.  I'd like to use the same bag as I've been using.  it's a nice bag.  when looking straight down on the bag, the HD-P2 will be run vertical, and the V3 will be vertical just below it.  So, usually the bag is on the floor in front of me.  with the tilt of the screen, and set up in this configuration, the screen will actually be slanting away from me.  will I be able to view the screen?

I too am curious as to the answer to this..  anyone?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone on this one...  any input at all?

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 10:16:59 AM »

I run V3>HD-P2, with the bag setup as mentioned above.. V3 vertical in the bottom portion of my bag, and HD-P2 vertical in the top portion, however, I have my HD-P2 leaning forward so the angle of the view screen is flat to the bag.  I can post a little more later after I look at it from different angles to answer your question.. but I can tell you I agree with the other HD-P2 users on here and am very happy with it.. simple, sturdy and flawless in the field.  I run my V3 (6v) and HD-P2 (12v) off of one EcoCharge EC-90 dual-output battery.  I get about 5 hours running time out of it, and ususally have more juice left in the battery.  I have just never had to push it farther than that for time.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
thanks for your response.  I don't know if I'll have room in my bag to tilt the HD-P2 forward (although that might be an option, and then I could slide the battery for it underneath).  but I'd still be very curious to hear your thoughts about viewing the screen from different angles.

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »
i have mine in a sonic case, and i can fit everything it it.  i also use the walmart batteries now, makes everything very light. 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
Jon,

Do you use a voltage regulator with the walmart batteries to power the Tascam?  Or will it take 9V direct?

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
i use the 9 volts to power the v3

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 05:27:49 PM »

hmm ..   can't *someone* stand their HDP2 vertically to see if you can read the screen by looking straight down on it?  shouldnt be that hard..  or better yet.. lay it down on its bottom, and see if you can read the lcd by looking at it from the same horizontal level?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »
thanks for your response.  I don't know if I'll have room in my bag to tilt the HD-P2 forward (although that might be an option, and then I could slide the battery for it underneath).  but I'd still be very curious to hear your thoughts about viewing the screen from different angles.

The HD-P2 straight up in the bag is not going to give you any viewing issues... I just turned mine on and stood it staight up, and no problems seeing the screen clearly.  I think the bigger issue might be that some of the buttons that you need to use out in the field are on the top of the unit, but from the middle towards the front... Select, Menu, and Stop buttons are on the top of the deck.  So you will need to be able to have some room in the bag to access them.  That's why I have mine at a slight angle forward, which makes it easier to get my hands on those buttons when needed.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »
fwiw, you can clearly see the 671 sitting straight-up, but there are also menu buttons on top of the unit that are sometimes needed.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »

The HD-P2 straight up in the bag is not going to give you any viewing issues... I just turned mine on and stood it staight up, and no problems seeing the screen clearly.  I think the bigger issue might be that some of the buttons that you need to use out in the field are on the top of the unit, but from the middle towards the front... Select, Menu, and Stop buttons are on the top of the deck.  So you will need to be able to have some room in the bag to access them.  That's why I have mine at a slight angle forward, which makes it easier to get my hands on those buttons when needed.

ding ding ding..  thanks!   +T

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
there are no problems reading the hdp2 screen at various angles. FWIW, if you are always going to be using spdif out of the v3 and recording at pretty much the same settings, ie 24/48 or 24/96 then in the field there will never be any real reason to mess with anything on top other than the "stop" button at the end of the set. you just turn it on and hit record.....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »
thanks for everyone's input.  I've pretty much decided on the HD-P2, and will likely place my order on Monday. :)

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »
Thats it >:D, its time to make a decision... I am so psych'ed....I just ordered my HDP2/8gig ultra2 from Frank at cascade media.....I have offically entered the 24bit recording relm...

Frank is seriously cool to deal with....highly recomended
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 07:15:08 PM »
Thats it >:D, its time to make a decision... I am so psych'ed....I just ordered my HDP2/8gig ultra2 from Frank at cascade media.....I have offically entered the 24bit recording relm...

That is so weird - I just talked to Frank yesterday about the Tascam and he said they did not carry 8gig cards....
how much did he get you for  - esp the card - since he said they don't have them ???
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »
I ordered my HD-P2 from Frank this past week, and more out of curiousity, I also asked about 8 gig CF cards, and was told that they don't have them, only up to 4 gig.  right now, I'm content with my 4 gig CF card and running 24/48, but the way prices are going, I'm guessing it won't be long until I have an 8 gig card so that I can run 24/96 :)

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2006, 10:17:50 PM »

That is so weird - I just talked to Frank yesterday about the Tascam and he said they did not carry 8gig cards....
how much did he get you for  - esp the card - since he said they don't have them ???

Out of respect for Frank I won't publically post his prices he quoated me...but I will say this if your serious about buying he will give you the best price he can.  But to answer the questions regarding the 8gig card, he does not have them in stock but is willing to order them if you are interested in one.  I went for it because there is no sense in doing 24/96 unless you have atleast 4 hours of recording available on the CF card.  So I enquired about the 8gig card and when he said he could get I went for it.....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2006, 10:26:07 PM »
very cool - he willl def be getting my business when the time comes....
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 05:03:34 PM »
very cool - he willl def be getting my business when the time comes....
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

kirk97132

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »
Bought mine from Frank recently too.  But, I'm lucky I live near by and have known Frank for years.  Jeff, one of his employee's, is also a good friend and a taping buddy of mine.  He recomended the P2 and I am totally happy with it.  Flawless operaton the first time outa the box, but I would recomend reading the manual.  Franks pricing rocks and why not buy from a fellow taper!  I stealthed the Subdudes with a set of Sen 441's and the pre's sounded good to me.  Easy to read display, easy to navigate menu's, kinda cheesy cords on the ac power supply.  I wrote to Tascam about it but have yet to recieve a reply.  I am thinking of going lead acid for DC power.  New alkaline's get you about 5 hours but thats it, and at 8 batteries a pop that can add up.  Happy to pas on the subdudes show to anyone interested in hearing it, but I ran it at 16/44.1 not 24.96.  Taking it out tonight and gonna run 24/96 and see if I can tell the difference.  Kirk

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2006, 10:53:54 PM »
Anybody have test times for the P2 with rechargeables?  Wondering if you get longer run times with them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 02:30:43 AM by spyder9 »

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »
Anybody have test times for the P2 with rechargeables?  Wondering if you get longer run times with them.

John Merrin has...If I recall he was getting 5 1/2 hours...at 24/96........Not bad for one show..its more than enough time.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2006, 02:21:39 PM »
Cool!  I bet 7 hours at 44.1/16, would be a safe guess.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »
Its on its way  I will have it monday 4-24........... ;D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline Chuck

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
Congrats... It's a good piece of gear. Let us know how you like it.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 06:38:10 PM »
here is one source for 8G cards
http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/detail~dpno~505818.asp

not a fostex owner (i do have a 671) and i kinda doubt sampling rate will affect battery life. i can say that it does not with my 671. headphone use is the biggest consumer and then backlighting and phantom power for my unit.

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 01:32:35 PM »
that is the same 8 gb card that i have and it works great,

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
I didn't see anything in this thread about a 2 gb limit.

Is this not an issue with both recorders?

I could use the MT as the backup, since my JB3 is getting older.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »
I didn't see anything in this thread about a 2 gb limit.

Is this not an issue with both recorders?

I could use the MT as the backup, since my JB3 is getting older.

both the PMD-671 and the Tascam HD-P2 have a seamless auto-split feature.
with the HD-P2, you can set it to auto-split at 512mb, 1GB, 1.5GB, 1.8GB, or 2GB files.
I think you can do something similar with the PMD-671, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

and one big feature of the HD-P2 is that every 1.5 seconds, it saves, closes, and re-opens the file, all done in the background.  so if your batteries die or something happens, you don't really lose anything, because the file is continually being saved and re-saved.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 07:36:47 PM »
and one big feature of the HD-P2 is that every 1.5 seconds, it saves, closes, and re-opens the file, all done in the background.  so if your batteries die or something happens, you don't really lose anything, because the file is continually being saved and re-saved.

isnt this true with the 671, too..?

everything up to the oint the batts failed is saved..? this is the way it is on my pda rig. sometimes the header is fubar'd but the WAV data is fine...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 08:13:12 PM »
both the PMD-671 and the Tascam HD-P2 have a seamless auto-split feature.
with the HD-P2, you can set it to auto-split at 512mb, 1GB, 1.5GB, 1.8GB, or 2GB files.
I think you can do something similar with the PMD-671, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

On the 671 it has auto-split by track length instead of file size.

1min-5min-10min-15min-30min-1hr-2hr-6hr-8hr-12hr-24hr

They have a decent .pdf I printed as a point of refrence, it might be helpful for anyone using the HD-P2 in reguards to time/bit depth.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/getdownload.asp?DownloadID=301

The 671 also has the RAW (Read After Write) VTH (Virtual Third Head) so the data is written to the card, I'm not sure if it varies with the P2.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 12:47:27 AM »
Finally made the decision - and the winner is the P2

I was really torn between the two (very similar in size, features, price, etc..) - so I called Mr. Oade to get his opinion. He said that if I am going to use it as a bit-bucket it really didn't matter, but for line-in he thought the P2 was better. He said the digital stage via line in is really very nice - in his opinion better than the Marantz. But he said for mic-in the 671 would be my best bet due to his mods.  He also said there are some mods in the works for the P2, but there isn't very much room in there to do much work.

Since I will be going only digi-in or line in form the v2/psp2 - I chose the P2. Now where is my damn tax return.....
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 03:01:10 AM »
Now where is my damn tax return.....

glad I'm not the only one eyeing the mailbox.   ;D

;D

I did the direct deposit and last year it came in two weeks! This year is a bit slower, I suppose. I'm goin' nuts - can't wait :spin:
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 08:53:57 AM »

ahh yes. that's right...

The 671 also has the RAW (Read After Write) VTH (Virtual Third Head) so the data is written to the card, I'm not sure if it varies with the P2.

the thing with the 671 security features, the "verify" feature and the "Read After Write / Virtual Third Head" feature, is that, according to the manual, those are not available when doing 24 bit recording.

I was really torn between the two (very similar in size, features, price, etc..) - so I called Mr. Oade to get his opinion. He said that if I am going to use it as a bit-bucket it really didn't matter, but for line-in he thought the P2 was better. He said the digital stage via line in is really very nice - in his opinion better than the Marantz. But he said for mic-in the 671 would be my best bet due to his mods.  He also said there are some mods in the works for the P2, but there isn't very much room in there to do much work.

that's interested to hear.  while I plan on always running S/PDIF from the V3, I noticed that the HD-P2 has a limiter feature (FWIW, the 671 also has a limiter).  at some quiet shows, where the crowd between soungs can be louder than the music, maybe I'll run line in from the V3 and use the limiter.  just something I'm thinking about...

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
Finally made the decision - and the winner is the P2

Since I will be going only digi-in or line in form the v2/psp2 - I chose the P2. Now where is my damn tax return.....

For line in Doug said the P2 would be better, or digital in?  That's not the impression I got at all (reguarding line in), but I'm not going to put words in Doug's mouth.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah that info contradicts what I've heard him asy as well.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »

ahh yes. that's right...

the thing with the 671 security features, the "verify" feature and the "Read After Write / Virtual Third Head" feature, is that, according to the manual, those are not available when doing 24 bit recording.

that's interested to hear.  while I plan on always running S/PDIF from the V3, I noticed that the HD-P2 has a limiter feature (FWIW, the 671 also has a limiter).  at some quiet shows, where the crowd between soungs can be louder than the music, maybe I'll run line in from the V3 and use the limiter.  just something I'm thinking about...

Id love to hear a v2/v3 > line-in P2   vs.    v3 digi out > p2    both at either 2448 or 2496    ...     someday....   thnking that might be the move for me..  either ditch the v3 and use my v2 for line into the p2, or jus run v3 digi..    If it sounds close to the v3 (better or slightly worse), id absolutely ditch the v3..

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 02:02:04 PM »
Yeah that info contradicts what I've heard him asy as well.

I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc - but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz. As far as digi-in, it doesn't matter which one. Mic-in would be the 671, if you have it modded.

Who knows - it will mainly be a bit-bucket...
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 02:19:32 PM »
From what I remember, Doug posted on his board after looking inside:  "the P2 was chinese and looks it, and the Marantz was japanese and looks it."  I have not seen or heard any actual analysis of the P2 by Doug until today.  Glad to hear he'll be doing some mods on these boxes.      8)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
From what I remember, Doug posted on his board after looking inside:  "the P2 was chinese and looks it, and the Marantz was japanese and looks it."  I have not seen or heard any actual analysis of the P2 by Doug until today.  Glad to hear he'll be doing some mods on these boxes.      8)

Honestly, before I spoke with him yesterday, I was going for the 671 because of Japansese build quality. His comments on sound quality pushed me the other way. The way I look at it, if I buy and I don't like it - sell it.

Can someone who has one please commment on the build quality? Thank you ;D
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »

seems pretty bulletproof to me, if you have ever fondled a da-p1 then you have pretty much seen the build of the hd p2
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »

seems pretty bulletproof to me, if you have ever fondled a da-p1 then you have pretty much seen the build of the hd p2

nice!! Thank you!!

I am going to go fondle my P1 right now >:D
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
I run an HD-P2 and have not had any issues at all.  You can pre-set various templates for differnt applications, bit depth, sampling rates, etc.  The main controls are on the top of the machine easily within reach, the display is straight forward, and it is very intuitave to use.

I have heard some critisim of the noise floor - never been an issue for me - it sounds great for the $$$'s.

It also has a Lock switch on the front panel not far from the play/record controls which is nice just in case...

Hope this helps -

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 06:17:54 PM »
I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc

Yes

but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz.

Maybe you weren't on the same page.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 07:36:01 PM »
I heard him say (sometime) in the past that the 671 had a better adc

Yes

but he said on the phone line-in on the P2 was the way to go. Better adc than the Marantz.

Maybe you weren't on the same page.

He was really specific; he asked me exactly what I would be doing with the unit - and he said for line-in get the P2. His did say that the digital stage in the P2 is superior to the 671 (line-in). Mic-in go with the 671 (modded). I know he has stated otherwise. Who the hell really knows until we line 'em up for some comps? I'll be ready soon - let's do it 671 owners!

Sonic AD2K+ 

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 12:29:03 AM »
He was really specific; he asked me exactly what I would be doing with the unit - and he said for line-in get the P2. His did say that the digital stage in the P2 is superior to the 671 (line-in). Mic-in go with the 671 (modded). I know he has stated otherwise. Who the hell really knows until we line 'em up for some comps? I'll be ready soon - let's do it 671 owners!

He has said that the P2 is less noisy than the stock 671 line in.  I've never heard him or seen him say that the ADC of the P2 is "superior".  Basically you're saying that Doug isn't consistent, afterall you "know he has stated otherwise".  If that's the case, it's news to me, I always thought Doug was pretty consistent.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:38:37 AM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2006, 06:29:08 PM »

He has said that the P2 is less noisy than the stock 671 line in.  I've never heard him or seen him say that the ADC of the P2 is "superior".  Basically you're saying that Doug isn't consistent, afterall you "know he has stated otherwise".  If that's the case, it's news to me, I always thought Doug was pretty consistent.

That is what he said on the phone about the adc of the P2 to me. What the heck do I know. All I know is what he said to me, which is that the adc of the P2 is superior to the 671 going line in. That's what he said. Call him up for clarification....
Sonic AD2K+ 

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2006, 07:58:56 PM »

That is what he said on the phone about the adc of the P2 to me. What the heck do I know. All I know is what he said to me, which is that the adc of the P2 is superior to the 671 going line in. That's what he said. Call him up for clarification....

Doug's comments (and I ask if he wouldn't mind me posting them for clarification) were that the HD-P2's A/D had a little more brightness and not as robust on the bottom end, suited very well for voice and sound effect recording.  The 671's A/D a bit less colored and perhaps a touch bit more musical than the P2.  The stock P2 having a cleaner line input, less self noise with a stock P2 than the stock 671.  The ACM mod does improve upon the self noise of the 671, most of the mods are aimed at improvements to the pre portion, but they do help the self noise and speed of the unit.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2006, 02:34:23 AM »
aha! clarification. thank you :coolguy:

edit: my P2 should be here in a day or two - I am going to do all sorts of tests usings different mics, pre's, adc's - line-in, digi-in, mic-in..
       probably be just in front of the home stereo at first but will post samples or a torrent if anyone is interested
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 02:45:17 AM by Kyle »
Sonic AD2K+ 

Offline tscales

• Taperssection Regular
    • .:www.timscales.net:.
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »
I'm very interested. 
Life's a garden.  Dig it.

AKG 393s > UA-5 (w-mod +) > D8 / Fujitsu T70G

Live Recordings..  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tscales

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2006, 12:24:55 PM »
is the line out a true analog out on the 671?  i.e does it have true analog pass through? 
can i bypass the a/d of the box and run an external one behind it via the line outs?  671>2k or 671>mytek? 

i have never tried and dont have the capabilities. wish i could help.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »
ask doug?

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »
can the marantz use a 8 gb cf card yet, because i know that they had problems in the past.  fi they can't then you will be limited when recording 24/96

Offline Chuck

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »
can the marantz use a 8 gb cf card yet, because i know that they had problems in the past.  fi they can't then you will be limited when recording 24/96

I haven't seen anyone post that they have used an 8 gig card successfully yet.

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »
is the line out a true analog out on the 671?  i.e does it have true analog pass through? 
can i bypass the a/d of the box and run an external one behind it via the line outs?  671>2k or 671>mytek? 
i have never tried and dont have the capabilities. wish i could help.

i have an sbm1 but i don't even know how to "test" if it's a true analog signal, or if it's really going analog>digital>analog ala the ua5.

anyone know how to get some quick answers from marantz?

Shoot Doug an e-mail, he probably knows the signal path, if not off hand, you'll probably peak his interest enough to find out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.225 seconds with 93 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com