Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2  (Read 23346 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Marantz PMD-671 vs. Tascam HD-P2
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »
for those of you who use the HD-P2 - here's a question for you.  Can you easily view the screen from any angle?  Here's my concern.  I'd like to use the same bag as I've been using.  it's a nice bag.  when looking straight down on the bag, the HD-P2 will be run vertical, and the V3 will be vertical just below it.  So, usually the bag is on the floor in front of me.  with the tilt of the screen, and set up in this configuration, the screen will actually be slanting away from me.  will I be able to view the screen?

I too am curious as to the answer to this..  anyone?

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone on this one...  any input at all?

Offline dueling

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 10:16:59 AM »
for those of you who use the HD-P2 - here's a question for you.  Can you easily view the screen from any angle?  Here's my concern.  I'd like to use the same bag as I've been using.  it's a nice bag.  when looking straight down on the bag, the HD-P2 will be run vertical, and the V3 will be vertical just below it.  So, usually the bag is on the floor in front of me.  with the tilt of the screen, and set up in this configuration, the screen will actually be slanting away from me.  will I be able to view the screen?

I run V3>HD-P2, with the bag setup as mentioned above.. V3 vertical in the bottom portion of my bag, and HD-P2 vertical in the top portion, however, I have my HD-P2 leaning forward so the angle of the view screen is flat to the bag.  I can post a little more later after I look at it from different angles to answer your question.. but I can tell you I agree with the other HD-P2 users on here and am very happy with it.. simple, sturdy and flawless in the field.  I run my V3 (6v) and HD-P2 (12v) off of one EcoCharge EC-90 dual-output battery.  I get about 5 hours running time out of it, and ususally have more juice left in the battery.  I have just never had to push it farther than that for time.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »
thanks for your response.  I don't know if I'll have room in my bag to tilt the HD-P2 forward (although that might be an option, and then I could slide the battery for it underneath).  but I'd still be very curious to hear your thoughts about viewing the screen from different angles.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »
i have mine in a sonic case, and i can fit everything it it.  i also use the walmart batteries now, makes everything very light. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
Jon,

Do you use a voltage regulator with the walmart batteries to power the Tascam?  Or will it take 9V direct?

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
i use the 9 volts to power the v3
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 05:27:49 PM »

hmm ..   can't *someone* stand their HDP2 vertically to see if you can read the screen by looking straight down on it?  shouldnt be that hard..  or better yet.. lay it down on its bottom, and see if you can read the lcd by looking at it from the same horizontal level?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 06:17:22 PM »
thanks for your response.  I don't know if I'll have room in my bag to tilt the HD-P2 forward (although that might be an option, and then I could slide the battery for it underneath).  but I'd still be very curious to hear your thoughts about viewing the screen from different angles.

The HD-P2 straight up in the bag is not going to give you any viewing issues... I just turned mine on and stood it staight up, and no problems seeing the screen clearly.  I think the bigger issue might be that some of the buttons that you need to use out in the field are on the top of the unit, but from the middle towards the front... Select, Menu, and Stop buttons are on the top of the deck.  So you will need to be able to have some room in the bag to access them.  That's why I have mine at a slight angle forward, which makes it easier to get my hands on those buttons when needed.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

E.A.A. PSP-2

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »
fwiw, you can clearly see the 671 sitting straight-up, but there are also menu buttons on top of the unit that are sometimes needed.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »

The HD-P2 straight up in the bag is not going to give you any viewing issues... I just turned mine on and stood it staight up, and no problems seeing the screen clearly.  I think the bigger issue might be that some of the buttons that you need to use out in the field are on the top of the unit, but from the middle towards the front... Select, Menu, and Stop buttons are on the top of the deck.  So you will need to be able to have some room in the bag to access them.  That's why I have mine at a slight angle forward, which makes it easier to get my hands on those buttons when needed.

ding ding ding..  thanks!   +T
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
there are no problems reading the hdp2 screen at various angles. FWIW, if you are always going to be using spdif out of the v3 and recording at pretty much the same settings, ie 24/48 or 24/96 then in the field there will never be any real reason to mess with anything on top other than the "stop" button at the end of the set. you just turn it on and hit record.....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »
thanks for everyone's input.  I've pretty much decided on the HD-P2, and will likely place my order on Monday. :)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »
Thats it >:D, its time to make a decision... I am so psych'ed....I just ordered my HDP2/8gig ultra2 from Frank at cascade media.....I have offically entered the 24bit recording relm...

Frank is seriously cool to deal with....highly recomended
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2006, 07:15:08 PM »
Thats it >:D, its time to make a decision... I am so psych'ed....I just ordered my HDP2/8gig ultra2 from Frank at cascade media.....I have offically entered the 24bit recording relm...

Frank is seriously cool to deal with....highly recomended

That is so weird - I just talked to Frank yesterday about the Tascam and he said they did not carry 8gig cards....
how much did he get you for  - esp the card - since he said they don't have them ???
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 09:43:38 PM »
I ordered my HD-P2 from Frank this past week, and more out of curiousity, I also asked about 8 gig CF cards, and was told that they don't have them, only up to 4 gig.  right now, I'm content with my 4 gig CF card and running 24/48, but the way prices are going, I'm guessing it won't be long until I have an 8 gig card so that I can run 24/96 :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com