Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: exploding microtracker  (Read 41647 times)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: exploding microtracker
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
Makes me think about the dangers of external powering these. Do they show charging when a jucebox or similar is connected?

A juicebox will charge the MT just as if it is plugged into its wall adapter.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2006, 07:28:09 AM »
Spoogles,
Man that sucks.  I hope you are OK and I think you are proceeding correctly by not "lawyering up".  OTH, the comments here that have said you might have problems recovering expenses for carpeting etc if you don't use a lawyer may be salient.  Please keep us up to date as far as the M audio custy service goes.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2006, 10:25:47 AM »
So that users are not tempted to keep unplugging and plugging in to get a high charge?

I do that with my Hi-MD.  It stops charging after 20minutes.  I plug it in and out a few times to get the full charge.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2006, 11:53:16 PM »
Hey Spoogles,

Was a proper resolution provided by M-Audio?
Socks are overrated.

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »
well have been talking to Maudio, sent back the unit to them and looks like i will get a full refund on the MT. still need to get a estimate to repair my carpet, but other than that M-Audio has been quite helpful and understanding.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2006, 01:38:16 PM »
well have been talking to Maudio, sent back the unit to them and looks like i will get a full refund on the MT. still need to get a estimate to repair my carpet, but other than that M-Audio has been quite helpful and understanding.

Good news. Please let us know any further developements.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »
I had an "interesting" thing happen when charging my MT the other night.  It looked like it completed charging but when I went to turn the MT on it was locked up.  I had to press and hold the power button for an extended period of time to get the thing to start up.  If the firmware was locked up and it was still receiving power from the charger is it possible that the battery could overcharge and explode??

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
I had an "interesting" thing happen when charging my MT the other night.  It looked like it completed charging but when I went to turn the MT on it was locked up.  I had to press and hold the power button for an extended period of time to get the thing to start up.  If the firmware was locked up and it was still receiving power from the charger is it possible that the battery could overcharge and explode??

What mode was the MT in when you were charging it and also when it locked up (if these are different)?  Was it in the mode where the large battery icon get's shown on screen (this happens when it tries to power off while in the main interface but it's plugged in so can't turn off)?   Or was it in the mode where it's showing the USB icon and the small battery in the corner?  Or the power plug icon and the small battery in the corner? Or finally, the mode where its' just showing the main menu or record interface and the small battery icon in the corner?

The answer to my question doesn't really answer your question but it could help us find a particular situation that is prone to lockups or something if someone else discovers that it also happens to them.

J.T.

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »
Just wondering what was the final outcome of the microtracker incident?

Here's an article on an exploding Dell Laptop.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

I'd be willing to bet that a Lithium Ion battery was behind that as well.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2006, 03:33:51 PM »
After reading this and the flashlight debacle, methinks I should start storing the MT in an ammo box. Cellphones too maybe.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
After reading this and the flashlight debacle, methinks I should start storing the MT in an ammo box. Cellphones too maybe.

Like this?   ;D

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2006, 05:27:09 PM »
LOL Rick
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »
Even Apple looks like it is having some issues with its lithium battery in some MacBook Pro's:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060622103345459

Would you want that thing sittiing on your lap?

Bluging Battery:

Still Missing Woody...

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2006, 06:11:13 PM »

Like this?   ;D

:yack:    Yessir! Just like that.

+T

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
More exploding battery issues:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4044754.html

NTSB Probes Laptop Batteries in Jet Fire

By KIMBERLY HEFLING Associated Press Writer
© 2006 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Did laptop batteries aboard a UPS cargo plane ignite, causing the aircraft to catch fire?

The National Transportation Safety Board began looking into the question at a hearing Wednesday.

All three crew members on the plane were treated for minor injuries after it made an emergency landing shortly after midnight Feb. 8 at Philadelphia International Airport.

Several other incidents have occurred in recent years in which lithium batteries _ used in laptops and cell phones _ have caught fire aboard airplanes.

Less than two months ago in Chicago, a spare laptop battery packed in a bag stored in an overhead bin started emitting smoke, chief crash investigator Frank Hilldrup of the NTSB testified Wednesday.

A flight attendant used an extinguisher and the bag was removed, but the bag caught fire on a ramp, Hilldrup said.

Investigators in the Philadelphia fire found that several computer laptop batteries were on board the plane, and that in many cases portions of the laptop batteries had burned, he said.

"It is not known at this time the role these batteries may have played in the fire," Hilldrup said.

Lithium ion batteries are sometimes referred to as "rechargeable" or "secondary" lithium batteries. They, along with primary or "non-rechargeable" lithium batteries, can present fire hazards because of the heat often generated when they are damaged or suffer a short circuit.

It is expected to take several months for the NTSB to reach a conclusion about the cause of the fire in Philadelphia, although several hazardous materials on board the plane have been determined not to be the cause. The NTSB is also examining other related issues, such as what can be done to make cargo flights safer and the overall emergency response to the incident.

In 1999, a shipment of lithium batteries ignited after it was unloaded from a passenger jet at Los Angeles International Airport. Another shipment erupted into flames in Memphis in 2004 when it was being loaded onto a FedEx plane bound for Paris.

In the case of the UPS cargo plane, the crew declared an emergency on approach into Philadelphia. Fire and rescue crews met the four-engine jet, a DC-8 that originated in Atlanta, when it touched down shortly after midnight.

Firefighters said the blaze was under control about four hours later, although the charred plane smoldered for hours.

Still Missing Woody...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com