Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: exploding microtracker  (Read 41680 times)

Offline mdarnton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Darnton Violins
Re: exploding microtracker
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »
I assume that you folks who are indulging yourselves in childish hysteria over one battery incident are relinquishing your use of automobiles, which cause 30,000-40,000 deaths a year in the U.S.?

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:52 PM »
I assume that you folks who are indulging yourselves in childish hysteria over one battery incident are relinquishing your use of automobiles, which cause 30,000-40,000 deaths a year in the U.S.?

Irrelevant.  This is a taping board.  Not a particular place to be a fatalist.

-T for being sarcastic about it, too.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
Spoogles,
did you atleast get a refund on your MT or a new unit?  Have you gotten an money back for the carpet damage?

Matt

yup M_Audio has paid me in full for all damages. they definately came through on their end.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »
Spoogles,
did you atleast get a refund on your MT or a new unit?  Have you gotten an money back for the carpet damage?

Matt

yup M_Audio has paid me in full for all damages. they definately came through on their end.

cool.  Another +T for your troubles.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »

nice to hear, chris.  what deck did they buy you?  :)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »

I guess the ultimate question would be, would you buy another MT?

It is good to hear M Audio took care of things. I'm curious did they ever expand on what they think might have caused the unit to explode/catch fire in the first place?

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

dorrcoq

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »

Do the cars cause the deaths, or the drivers?

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »

no new deck. think i'll just go lappie if i want to do 24/96 and use the ol jb3 for stealth.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »

One exploding microtrack in this tiny taping community is statistically VERY significant. Particularly when you consider that they haven't even been out for a year.  The gas released is EXTREMELY toxic and especially dangerous because of the delayed symptoms.

Attempting to compare it to national auto deaths is far out of touch with our taping reality.  Just because people die in cars you are saying that concerns about unsafe recorder batteries are 'childish and hysterical'?

How often do cars spontaneously explode when they are switched on?

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2006, 11:27:42 AM »

no new deck. think i'll just go lappie if i want to do 24/96 and use the ol jb3 for stealth.

Let me guess: a Dell? 

Jeff

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »
One exploding microtrack in this tiny taping community is statistically VERY significant.

But the fact that it happened within our tiny taping community isn't really relevant, except as kind of a shocker to those who use the device.  It could have happened within any community.  Far more meaningful and useful stats might include the much broader user base:  how many exploding MTs out of how many total sold worldwide?  sold in the US?  How do the MTs stats around exploding batteries compare to other devices and batteries of its kind, and the quality standards of M-Audio and/or its battery manufacturers and generally accepted rates of failure within the industry?  Etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »
One exploding microtrack in this tiny taping community is statistically VERY significant.

But the fact that it happened within our tiny taping community isn't really relevant, except as kind of a shocker to those who use the device.  It could have happened within any community.  Far more meaningful and useful stats might include the much broader user base:  how many exploding MTs out of how many total sold worldwide?  sold in the US?  How do the MTs stats around exploding batteries compare to other devices and batteries of its kind, and the quality standards of M-Audio and/or its battery manufacturers and generally accepted rates of failure within the industry?  Etc.

Good points for sure... this very well could have been an unfortunate fluke, relatively speaking.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2006, 03:55:40 PM »

I guarantee we will never know these statistics.  M-Audio sure as hell isn't going to post them.  I bet this isn't an isolated case though.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »

This is from a conversation I had with Cliff (dallman) the other day.  I've been begging him to post it.
Can you imagine what would happen if you plugged your MT into a Dell laptop?!!

:flaming:
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2006, 01:52:55 AM »

This is from a conversation I had with Cliff (dallman) the other day.  I've been begging him to post it.
Can you imagine what would happen if you plugged your MT into a Dell laptop?!!

:flaming:

:happy: I was "hot" that night!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com