Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released  (Read 34812 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »
I had a thought recently about the 8GIG autospan problem which if happens, will stop a user DEAD-IN-THE-FIELD if not wanting to reformat the card, losing everything recorded before the autospan fault occurred.   It takes deleting too many files(?) to get the card to function again I think.

I suppose having another flash card to use until getting back to a computer to extract the good files is good tact, but maybe Roland can do better if not able to fix 8 gig fault in next firmware upgrade by putting in feature to TURN OFF AUTO SPAN for users of >4 GIF SDHC cards.

This way recordist can have some warning that file size limit is about to occur and MANUALLY STOP THE RECORDING to start another file.  This would seem better than having the deck lock up with flash flooded to be useless with hundreds of files, making further recording IMPOSSIBLE unless taking a too many minutes to power down, replace with another flash card. 

So I am thinking having at least AUTO-SPAN defeat, and having to start another file manually is far better than what we have now if needing to carry around more than 4 gig capacity.

That's a good idea.  I'd like a 4GB setting as well, but that would be admitting 8GB cards are 'sort of' supported.

FWIW, I found that when I've reached the auto span point (during test recordings only so far, since I've stopped and started a new file before reaching the 2GB point on any real recordings using v1.2) and the recorder freaks out, I have pushed buttons and the unit freezes up before completely filling the card.  I could then open an close the batt door to remove power and reset the recorder, reboot and continue with another recording on the remaining card space.  No need to reformat and loose the original file. The small trash files filled around 1GB or so of the total 8GB card both times I tried it before lock-up.  The original and the new audio files transfered later without problem.  I feel more confident with a second card as backup running this firmware and will try to make every effort to avoid the split, but I didn't find myself totally dead-in-the-water, even if my confidence level is lower when the 8GB card is in there.  It sure is nice to have all that space though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2007, 11:41:41 AM »
Made a few calls.
When the US Roland support heard I was calling from the Netherlands they offered info for European Roland support.
So I called Roland Belgium in the end. (+32(0)14 57 58 11)
The guy that handled my questions was friendly and made clear that SDHC support is only guaranteed up to 4GB. He will speak to (other) Roland people and let them know about the 8GB issue.

Offline Looney

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 09:33:51 AM »
Where in the menu's can you set the file size auto span?
Church Audio Cards > CA ST-9100 > Edirol R-09

"It keeps you fit......the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food...It's all good for you!"
Bon Scott 1979

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »
Where in the menu's can you set the file size auto span?
Somewhere. It is not hard to find.
See the manual. Or Edirol's website.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »
Any status updates for new R-09 firmware?  ;D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2007, 11:51:26 PM »
With the Zoom H2 about to be released in the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Edirol announce another firmware update regarding 8gb cards real soon.     

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:07 AM »
So probably just in time for the summer festivals?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2007, 06:04:10 PM »
Any updates?
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=1072 still only shows 1.20?

... which sort of answers your question neatly and cleanly, doesn't it:  no, there are no updates.

spyder9 prefaced his speculative comment about 8gb support with "i wouldn't be surprised...", surely you didn't take this as a statement of fact from Edirol?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2007, 07:15:23 PM »
I spoke with Edirol last week.  They are working on the 8gb update, with no timetable for release.   

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »
I spoke with Edirol last week.  They are working on the 8gb update, with no timetable for release.   
Thanks. Some people are really looking forward to that update release! Please tell them that.  ;D

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2007, 06:51:37 PM »
Thanks. Some people are really looking forward to that update release! Please tell them that.  ;D

1 month later, anything new?  6 months to get a new firmware for 8gb is disappointing :(

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2007, 08:04:41 PM »
Here's the official R09 page.  If they do a new release, it will show up under Downloads.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=757&ParentId=109
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:44:14 AM by spyder9 »

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »
I need mac help with this download. I downloaded 1.20, got the "R09_update_12-_sit" file, which I double clicked on, which produced "R09_update_120" file. When I double click on that, computer (mac mini G4) asks what appication to open the document in... I was lost here, and probably shouldn't have continued, but I chose AppleScript, and then Apple Script Dictionary. But when I double click on the "DMZ15.UPD" file, the computer will not open it since it is " unable to read the dictionary of the application since it is not scriptable".

How do I move the "DMZ15.UPD" file to another application, and to what application do I move it to(assuming I have that application)?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2007, 04:56:48 PM »
I need mac help with this download. I downloaded 1.20, got the "R09_update_12-_sit" file, which I double clicked on, which produced "R09_update_120" file. When I double click on that, computer (mac mini G4) asks what appication to open the document in... I was lost here, and probably shouldn't have continued, but I chose AppleScript, and then Apple Script Dictionary. But when I double click on the "DMZ15.UPD" file, the computer will not open it since it is " unable to read the dictionary of the application since it is not scriptable".

How do I move the "DMZ15.UPD" file to another application, and to what application do I move it to(assuming I have that application)?

Sent you a PM and replied to your email.  I'll respond here too since it may help a few people.  I don't have a mac but have helped a few people with macs do the upgrade.  I think the instructions may just be confusing people.  All you actually need is the DMZ15.UPD file.  That is the firmware upgrade.  Copy that to the root of your R-9 and turn the R-9 off.  Then press power + record at the same time to turn it back on.  It will cycle through a few error messages which is normal and then get to a screen that shows current version and the version of the new firmware.  Hit record to start the upgrade process.  The lights will flash and there will be a progress bar.  *DO NOT* turn it off during the upgrade process.  The whole thing should take a min or so.  Once it says it is done turn off the R-9 and turn it back on and you should see the new version of firmware in the corner of the boot up screen.  You can delete the DMZ file off the R-9 now if you want to.

Hope that helps,
Dana
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:00:13 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com