Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released  (Read 34954 times)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: Edirol R-09 firmware 1.20 about to be released
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2007, 01:24:24 AM »
When first shipped, I and most everyone found Transcend 4 & 8 Gig SDHC working well with at least v1.10 installed. 

But NOT now as in recent few months a lot of people find Transcend SDHC model series do not format or give so many trashed file errors to be unusable. 

As a result of current experiences with this make of card I have revised my recommendation of this and other cards in the memory section of review at: www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm#memory

So basically the Kingston 4 GB SDHC is the cheapest reliable card out there?  Can anyone else verify this?

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
So basically the Kingston 4 GB SDHC is the cheapest reliable card out there?  Can anyone else verify this?

I am using a OCZ 4GB Secure Digital High-Capacity(SDHC) Flash Card Model OCZSDHC6-4GB Class 6 with perfect results
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227234

I have had NO issues using a Kingston 4GB SDHC Class 2.

R-09 v1.20

Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline firebaugh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • NOLA Underground
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
I'm using the Transcend 4GB SDHC Class 2 with my R-09 and v1.20.  I've only taped a friends band practice (24/44.1 550MB file) so far but I haven't had any issues.  I have two of the Transcend cards and I formated both of them in the R-09, not in Windows.
M-Audio Pulsar II > UA-5 Oade wmod > R-09 (temp)
Soundboard > ST-9100 v.3 > Tascam DR-07

"When anybody asks me 'what kind of music I play' I say depression era metal." - Scott H. Biram

Offline trazan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
Class type is JUST SPEED RATING, and has nothing to do with SDHC protocol implementation.  Class 1 should be plenty fast for audio modes, and I recall somebody trying a class 6 Sandisk and having troubles, but might have been just a bad card.

But a speedier card would matter when tranferring files to and from the card via USB, no?

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:39 PM »
My understanding is that recording is realtime, and the card speed is not a factor until reading the files out or poping the card into a pc/reader

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
As we have learned, write speed for audio is the sustained continuous rating (not burst rate), and read speed is usually only as fast as continuous read rating, and maybe faster depending on the design of the card reader.

As different cards have implemented a standard read/write protocol in slightly different manner depending on manufacturing/design variables, the design of the card reader seems most important in getting the best possible speed from a particular make of card. 

Tests have shown fastest card read speeds (especially those given in burst speed specifications) are mostly ONLY possible if using a reader made by the same manufacturer. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2007, 04:15:10 PM »
My new R-09 came with ver 1.03 installed. Do I first need to go up to ver 1.10, before jumping to ver 1.20, or can I go from 1.03 directly to 1.20? I tried going from the current v1.03 to v1.20 with a formatted SanDisk 2GB card, but the R-09 didn't seem to recognize the update, or I screwed something up in the process...Is it ok to use a formatted SanDisk 2GB card, or is it better to use the 64mb card that the R-09 came with instead?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
My new R-09 came with ver 1.03 installed. Do I first need to go up to ver 1.10, before jumping to ver 1.20, or can I go from 1.03 directly to 1.20?

Go directly to 1.20.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »
This new firmware 1.20 update is not happening for me...I'm a Mac person, using a Mac Mini, although I know very little about computers in general...Here is what I've done -think I've got this is the right order...(although I first tried this with a SanDisk 2GB card, and that didn't work either...)

1. Inserted the 64mb SD card that came w/the R-09, turned it on, formatted the card, turned the R-09 off.
2. Got the R09_update_120.sit
3. Unzipped that to my desktop - R09_update_120
4. Double clicked on this update icon, which produces a window with the DMZ15.UPD firmware.
4. Turned R-09 on, showed main screen, connected it to Mac via USB.
5. "No Name" icon appears on desktop. Double-clicked on this icon to produce a new window entitled "No Name" - and that window is completly blank.
6. Dragged the DMZ15.UPD firmware over to the empty window entitled "No Name", and dropped in that empty window. At this point the computer said it copied the material over.
7. Disconnected the R-09 from the computer(by dragging the "No Name" icon from the desktop to the eject dock, and disconnected the USB cable), and turned the R-09 off.
8. Pressed power and record at the same time to turn on the R-09(no error messages came up)

At this point it started up as it had previously, saying ver 1.03 at startup, and going to the main screen, and everthing looking as it had before...no screen showing details of current firmware version and the new one - I was told that "If it finds the firmware a screen will show that details the current firmware version, and the new one". This didn't happen. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
v. 1.10 is working perfectly for me now, i'm afraid to attempt to install any newer firmware.

v. 1.20 doesn't seem to have any new features that i really care for (besides the record light function), but i hardly ever stealth anyway.

i WOULD like to see them maybe change the level bars a bit.  it would be nice if they made the space between -12 dbs to 0 dbs larger.  it's sometimes hard to see when you get close up there.

and more preferably over the above... i'd LOVE to see them somehow make the usb functional as a digi-in.  that would be awesome.

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2007, 12:43:17 AM »
This new firmware 1.20 update is not happening for me...I'm a Mac person, using a Mac Mini, although I know very little about computers in general...Here is what I've done -think I've got this is the right order...(although I first tried this with a SanDisk 2GB card, and that didn't work either...)

1. Inserted the 64mb SD card that came w/the R-09, turned it on, formatted the card, turned the R-09 off.
4. Double clicked on this update icon, which produces a window with the DMZ15.UPD firmware.
5. "No Name" icon appears on desktop. Double-clicked on this icon to produce a new window entitled "No Name" - and that window is completly blank.
6. Dragged the DMZ15.UPD firmware over to the empty window entitled "No Name", and dropped in that empty window. At this point the computer said it copied the material over.
7. Disconnected the R-09 from the computer(by dragging the "No Name" icon from the desktop to the eject dock, and disconnected the USB cable), and turned the R-09 off.
8. Pressed power and record at the same time to turn on the R-09(no error messages came up)

At this point it started up as it had previously, saying ver 1.03 at startup, and going to the main screen, and everthing looking as it had before...no screen showing details of current firmware version and the new one - I was told that "If it finds the firmware a screen will show that details the current firmware version, and the new one". This didn't happen. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Suggest reformat of the 64MB card inside the R-09.  If you have a card reader, insert the formatted card in this and directly transfer the file into the card (follow instructions as to exactly where UPD file is placed), then insert card in R-09 and try the update startup procedure again.

If this fails, then download the upate and unzip the file again as maybe it got corrupted in the process.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline trazan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2007, 03:32:56 AM »

The same happened to a friend with a Mac. For some reason it didn't work when he copied the DMZ15.UPD directly to the SD card. He had to drag DMZ15.UPD to a folder on his harddisk first, and then to the SD card. Don't ask me why  8)

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2007, 08:38:35 PM »
I tried doing what trazan suggested. I opened a new folder on my desktop, dragged the DMZ15.UPD file over and dropped it in that window/folder. I turned the r-09 on(w/ the formatted 64mb SD card innserted), and plugged it into the Mac over USB. I opened the No Name icon on the desktop, and dragged the DMZ15.UPD from the new folder over and dropped it in the No Name window. Computer said it was copied over. I disconnected the r-09 from the computer and turned the r-09 off. I pressed power and record at the same time on the r-09 to turn it on. No error messages came up, and no screen came up which indicated that it found the current firmware version and the new one... On start-up, it started like it did previously, saying ver 1.03, and then going to the main screen.

When I re-connected it over USB to the Mac and double click on the No Name icon, the window that appears has DMZ15.UPD inside it...

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
Did you first disconnect the R09 by software before physically disconnecting the cable?

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
Hold the REC button while turning it on.  Pressing them at the same time doesn't quite cut it.
nothing > nada > R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com