Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best 24 bit "bit bucket?"  (Read 36498 times)

Offline Digital Quality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Best 24 bit "bit bucket?"
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2007, 06:49:49 PM »
x50v is also 624MHz. It's the same processor core.

Edit: without the V is slower processors.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2007, 07:32:27 PM »
yup, my bad. how do the x50 with the 524 mhz work?anybody got any experience? theres a ton on ebay right now for $150

x50v is also 624MHz. It's the same processor core.

Edit: without the V is slower processors.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »
Ill run a test this weekend on the slower speed and see what happens. I can restrict it to 520MHz.

Edit: Be careful, there is an x50 520Mhz, and an x50 412Mhz. It's confusing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:51:45 PM by Steam Powered »

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2007, 10:51:54 PM »
Ill run a test this weekend on the slower speed and see what happens. I can restrict it to 520MHz.

Edit: Be careful, there is an x50 520Mhz, and an x50 412Mhz. It's confusing.

Yes, these are the non-VGA version. That may be a good buy. I haven't tested one though.

Using Live2496, the 400mHz H2210 or H2215 can record at 24-bit 96kHz to 150x flash memory. So, one could speculate that the 412mHz X50 may work nicely.

On my web pages I had posted that the X50 may not work. But as I recall this was very early and at that time we did not know to turn off the error reporting feature.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »
I cant test this after all. I was thinking I could lock it down but it only sets the base speed. It always increases speed to meet demand.

I should also point out, you won't be able to use the software meters for setting record levels. The display update isn't fast enough. That's not an issue for me, but it needs to be said.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:35:23 PM by Steam Powered »

Offline meatling

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
there are hundreds of recordings, probably thousands, from the past two years with 671's set to 24 bit that prove the problems you were having in 2005 are not happening anymore.

No contest. I stated a historical fact, and I clearly stated it as a historical fact.

If you choose to interpret this as a claim that today's PMD671s are junk, that's your prerogative. It's just not what I said.

the file system MICROSOFT created wasn't playing nice with editing software.  if you want to blame someone, blame microsoft.

Yeah, right ;D Of course you wouldn't see Marantz ratnering that they simply didn't bother to research the correct layout of a 24-bit file, even if that were the case, now would you?

i don't know why you insist on re-hashing a topic that has no relevance on the actual reality of things now.

Once again, I stated a historical fact, and I clearly stated it as a historical fact. And I'm not in the habit of trying to appease people by admitting to be wrong when in fact I'm right.

Speaking of which, if you really want to continue the discussion and argue with me that it was not a bug but some mysterious "new format" for which Microsoft would be to blame, be my guest.

m

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »
it is a fact that the 671 (modded or not) works right out of the box at 24 bit with no firmware updates. 
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »
I agree. I have had an ACM 671 for a little over a year, and love it! I am pretty anal about my "mission critical" recordings, and I think the thing is flawless. It truly is "me" proof! I only wish it was a lot smaller than a D-5.

Just make sure you use a good quality CF card. Should not be a problem these days, the way prices are dropping.

Good luck!

:)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:18:26 PM by Since85 »

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2007, 11:42:14 PM »

RE: flac
I recommend it only for 16-bit recording right now. It's flac level '0' because anything higher brings the cpu to it's knees.  So, even if you record to flac and save, say 40% space, you might want to re-encode to a higher level later.

The 24-bit encoding isn't what it should be yet. Josh Coalson mentioned that it was an issue with the design and something about the rice coder. Anyway he has the code written to fix it, but he won't publish it until some hardware manufacturers make appropriate changes. He doesn't want to break anything, so that's good. However, meanwhile we wait.

Gordon,  I understand a new version of FLAC with better compression has been released.  Could this be used with live2496 to improve the 24 bit compression? 

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
If I run a digi-mod UA5...what would be the best option to dump the data to in 24 bit? I know the iRiver and JB3 are 16 bit. What else that has optical or digital in is 24 bit besides the microtrack? and if so how much is it. Is there anything that would be around the price of an iRiver that can actually do 24 bit??
imo, your best option is a pda set up.  you can get one with all the needed components for under $500. 

buy a used "ipaq h2210" off ebay for ~$150 tops     http://tinyurl.com/3c4x3m
buy the pa audio card from core sound for $200       http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf/1.php
buy the software from forum member gordon aka "live24/96" for $50   http://www.gidluckmastering.com/live2496.html
buy two 4gb transcend 150x sd cards from newegg for $90 shipped.   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820163159

all you need is an optical cable to go from your ua5>pda and you're done.  seamless two gb splits and the ability to run 24/96 without worry.  you can switch cards at set break and you'll have enough space on a 4gb card for 24/96 every time as long as they play for less than two hours.  if you feel the band may play over two, run at 24/48, where you get four hours on a 4gb card.  the only drawback to the pda rig imo, is it's ONLY digi in, there's no built in adc for analog in.  however the other feature sets i outlined above far outweigh that one shortcoming.

Sickness.  I have a Dell X51 (non-V) @ 520Mhz for work.  Just spent half my lunch break investigating this and it looks like UA-5 > PD-Audio CF > PDA is in my future.  What a slick setup.

Thanks,

Anyone need a JB3?   ;)

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »
Cool - nab yourself a high capacity battery on ebay, a couple of Transcend 4GB SD flash cards on newegg, and a coax cable with a mini plug and you will be ready to rock. You can run optical in but the coax is more bomber and you'll have optical for backup or patchers.

Keep your JB3 and run a 16 bit truncated copy for backup, just in case, for a little while. Then, sell it when you are super comfortable with the PDA setup. With the right flash memory and the latest software it will be a lot easier than it used to be. Make sure you always format with at least 32KB clusters.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:36:19 PM by Steam Powered »

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2007, 06:39:45 PM »

RE: flac
I recommend it only for 16-bit recording right now. It's flac level '0' because anything higher brings the cpu to it's knees.  So, even if you record to flac and save, say 40% space, you might want to re-encode to a higher level later.

The 24-bit encoding isn't what it should be yet. Josh Coalson mentioned that it was an issue with the design and something about the rice coder. Anyway he has the code written to fix it, but he won't publish it until some hardware manufacturers make appropriate changes. He doesn't want to break anything, so that's good. However, meanwhile we wait.

Gordon,  I understand a new version of FLAC with better compression has been released.  Could this be used with live2496 to improve the 24 bit compression? 

Joe

Joe
The code that Josh mentioned hasn't been released yet. It's not in 1.1.4 .
Implementing new flac code in my application isn't a minor thing, because I had to port the libraries myself. There is no makefile for flac the pocket pc like on linux or windows.

I will certainly look into getting this done though, because the gains for 24-bit encoding will be significant for users. A few like me are waiting on this. Reaper, for example. SoundDevices will want to use the newer code, I'm sure.

Gordon

P.S. There's a new pocket pc coming out that might be suitable for PDAudio. From Socket Communications. Dell will be selling them also.  http://live2496.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=236#236
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:54:55 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
incidentally, i fried a fuse in the stock unit one month after the warranty ran out by sending it reverse polarity from a rat shack power cord. marantz told me to get fuct. i was pissed for a minute, but i just run it on internal AA's now w/o so much of a hiccup. live and learn. i am considering getting a third fwiw.

and I think we should get a third, with mods, kinda shaky on the fr2LE
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »
incidentally, i fried a fuse in the stock unit one month after the warranty ran out by sending it reverse polarity from a rat shack power cord. marantz told me to get fuct. i was pissed for a minute, but i just run it on internal AA's now w/o so much of a hiccup. live and learn. i am considering getting a third fwiw.

and I think we should get a third, with mods, kinda shaky on the fr2LE

done. >:D
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »
FYI, I used the pdaudio with an axim x50v on the recent umphreys west coast tour.

Also tested it for prob 20-30 hours beforehand at a bunch of bit/sample rates.

couldnt break it. flawless when recording to wav. couldnt get flac to work for any 24-bit recording (drops samples), tho it worked great for 16-bit (even up to 96K).

Eagerly awaiting the new flac implementation.

Great support from gordon...

If you are in the market for a pda, and are shopping ebay, I highly recommend the x50 and x51 'v' versions. The x50v can be had for less than $250. Killer display, great for watching dvd's ripped to divx/wmv. awesome travel accessory.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com