Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-R4  (Read 31621 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sonosax SX-R4
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »
Thought I'd start this thread for the discussion of the up and coming 8-track Sonosax SX-R4 recorder.

See the following links for more info:

Specs and diagrams from Sonosax:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SXR4.html

Videos from AES:
http://www.gearwire.com/sonosax-new-products-aes-vienna.html

From the Sonosax Website:
Preliminary Informations   

• Compact and Leight Weight 8 tracks Recorder on Hard Disk and CF Card
  • The ideal companion for classical music and on location multi-track recording
  • Recording capabilities:  44,1 up to 192kHz @ 24bits and 16 bits ( dithering )
  • Up to 8 tracks on the HD plus 2 tracks on the CF Card
  • Small and robust construction
  • Friendly user interface, easy maintenance
  • Battery or external DC operated

KEY FEATURES 

• 4x electronically balanced Mic/Line Input, XLR connectors
  • 2x unbalanced adjustable Line input on TA3 connector
  • 48V Phantom for Mic power
  • Pre LF Cut for rough wind conditions - PAD - Phase reversal
  • 2 Gain range and trim Gain control on the front
  • Channel linking of channel 1- 2  and/or channels 3-4 or all (1 to 4)
  • Limiter on each channel
  • 4 x AES Digital input ( 8channels )
  • TimeCode In & Out, all format
  • NTSC  Pull Up / Pull Down 0.1%
  • Wckl and Video Sync In
  • Wckl Sync Out
  • Unbalanced Stereo Line Outputs, on TA3 connector and Mini Jack for camera Link or additional monitoring
  • Headphone out on 1/4" Stereo Jack
  • Machined aluminum panel and carbon fiber housing
  • Dimensions: 176 x 44 x 138 mm / 6,93" x 1,75" x 5,43"
  • Weight aprox 800 grams ( 1,76 lbs ) with batteries
  • Powered by four AA batteries or external 6 - 15 VDC

Estimated price:             aprox Euro 3'500 -  USD 4'500 - CHF 5'600
Estimated deliveries:      automn 2007

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Sonosax SX-R4
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:35:09 PM »
Just sticking my head in on this thread.  I've been following this new recorder for some time now.  Very very interesting.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:56 AM »
Cool. 8tr recording? So I guess this is going to give the 744 a run for its money. If you build it they will come.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
Sound Devices has to respond to this challenge.  Surely they are working on something.  Well, hopefully.  The SX-R4 does look like a really sweet piece of hardware: legendary Swiss craftsmanship, all the bells and whistles you could wish for, well almost, and compact.  Good price, too.

SD, are you listening???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:52:12 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:45 AM »
Each one of those Sonosax units is handmade because it is so small.  It will be awesome and incredible and all that, but I think that I will pass at the $4,500 price point.  I read somewhere else that it would cost 4,000 Euro, which will push it well above the $4,500 range with the terrible exchange rate right now.  Still, 8 tracks of recording ability at that size and level of craftsmanship is something to look at.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
The Sonosax home page says US$4,500.  Check it out.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:59:17 AM »
Here's a pic from the 7x team board that Jaledu posted from the Nagrit website.  The SX-R4 is the bottom unit, the top unit is the soon to be released SX-M32 which is a 3 to 2 channel mixer (I guess to compete with the SD 302)

LMA Recordings

List

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
Just checking in so I can follow this thread.

I'm  planning on upgrading to a 744 around this time next year. If the SX-R4 turns out to be in the same league, I might go that way instead.

Way too early to tell.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:56:33 AM »
Looking at this block diagram, it looks like this will only have two channels with pre-amps.? Was hoping it would have four.

http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SX-R4.pdf

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra. Both are scrambling now to produce recorders/mixers that can compete with the digital non-linear offerings of SD, Zaxcom, and Aaton. This isn't a bad thing, more competition is good, but when you look at 4/8 channel hard drive recorders Sonosax is about 5 years behind. SD was able to pull off getting into the game on price/features, Nagra has so far failed pretty miserably (but you can never count them out).

Because a lot of these units are used in films and wireless mics are starting to be used more and more, the emphasis recently has been on increasing channels using line inputs. You have the Cantar with 8 tracks, Zaxcom with 8/10 tracks (16 coming later this year), and so I would expect SD to have something in the works to compete with the growing number of channels.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline H₂O

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
Looking at this block diagram, it looks like this will only have two channels with pre-amps.? Was hoping it would have four.

http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/SX-R4.pdf

Note in the diagram that shows inputs 1 or 3 are top and 2 or 4 are bottom.  My interpretation is that to save space on the diagram the combined the inputs just on the diagram.  If you look at the diagrams of the physical unit there are 4 XLR inputs on the left side and that all 4 input have lowcut, 48V, etc switches. 

The other two analog inputs are unbalanced and on the right side of the unit on a TO3 connector.

Left side diagram:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/sxr4_left.jpg

Right side diagram:
http://www.sonosax.com/SXR4/sxr4_right.jpg

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:53:40 AM by campbrs »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:45 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra.

while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.  but if we're talking about Nagra, Zaxcom, and Aaton, then the MiniR82 certainly is well within the price range of those units.  the thing with the MiniR82 is that you need a custom break-out cable for all the inputs.  my guess is that there is more demand for a deck with standard XLR inputs, and thats why they're coming out with this now.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »
while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.

I had forgotten about that unit. You're right though, the price keeps tapers away from it, while the size and breakout cable keep it from being used much on-location. Regardless I think we're going to continue seeing more and more channels being added to recorders, unfortunately I think most will be line inputs because channels are being added for all the wireless units being used.

Wayne

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra.

while the SX-R4 is just comign out now, Sonosax has had the MiniR82 out for a while now, which is a very compact 8 channel HD (& CF) recorder.  if it wasn't so expensive, I'm sure a lot more tapers would be using one.  but if we're talking about Nagra, Zaxcom, and Aaton, then the MiniR82 certainly is well within the price range of those units.  the thing with the MiniR82 is that you need a custom break-out cable for all the inputs.  my guess is that there is more demand for a deck with standard XLR inputs, and thats why they're coming out with this now.

I absolutely love the MiniR82.  Inputs 3&4 (either as line-in or digital-in) are on a standard 1/8" stereo plug.  Mic-in is on unusual Binder connectors and for digital-in channels 5-8 you need to wire the dongle that comes naked with the machine.  Sonosax was of minimal help in doing this, or getting powering accessories, or answering questions, or servicing the machine or upgrading firmware.  Judging from the time delay between sending them emails and getting responses, their tech guys must be located well outside the solar system.  While I expect the SX-R4 to be a great machine, the service issue will keep Sound Devices far ahead for many users, I expect.  But the only small unit at all comparable to the MiniR82 is the Sony D-1, and Sony's response to D-1 users needing help is also pretty lame.

By the way, the MiniR82 was announced in early 2005 to be coming out in the fall of 2005, but wasn't out until fall of 2006. So I wonder exactly when we'll see the SX-R4 ship.

Jeff

Offline SonicSound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »
So I wonder exactly when we'll see the SX-R4 ship slip.
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 09:40:35 PM »
Regardless of how many pre-amps, Sonosax has fallen behind, much like Nagra. Both are scrambling now to produce recorders/mixers that can compete with the digital non-linear offerings of SD, Zaxcom, and Aaton. This isn't a bad thing, more competition is good, but when you look at 4/8 channel hard drive recorders Sonosax is about 5 years behind. SD was able to pull off getting into the game on price/features, Nagra has so far failed pretty miserably (but you can never count them out).

Because a lot of these units are used in films and wireless mics are starting to be used more and more, the emphasis recently has been on increasing channels using line inputs. You have the Cantar with 8 tracks, Zaxcom with 8/10 tracks (16 coming later this year), and so I would expect SD to have something in the works to compete with the growing number of channels.

Wayne

Well said Wayne. I am not holding my breath for Sonosax. They "announce" WAAAAAAY to prematurely, and usually fail to deliver on-time and not to mention in the support sector. I bet I have sent them 5 emails in the past 2-3 years, and did not get a single response regarding my SX-M2, Minir82 questions/availability, etc. I wonder how many MiniR82's actually sold? Certainly couldn't be that many. I think it is a horrible design for its intended use (Film/ENG/etc). Nothing would irritate me more than having to deal with an iPod sized recorder with a enormous breakout cable while in the field working. However, I bet it sounds real nice which probably makes it worth it! I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)

Battery life was one of the pleasant surprises with the MiniR82.  It also uses 4 AA cells, and using line-in I get almost 5 hours with 2700 MaH NiMH cells, just under 4 using phantom power.  If the SX-R4 is a miniR82 with standard connectors it might get similar time, in any case way better than the bigger boxes (Fostex, Marantz) that use 8 AAs (or the internal batteries of the MT2496, Korg MR-1, etc).  Most folks will want to add external power, when I use a small lithium Power Bank or Power Stick I get more like 10-12 hours, no need to touch the thing.  Of course, you'll have to figure out how to get the right connector wired, polarity, etc, without much fast help from Sonosax.

Jeff

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
about the 82  , its nice device  but more for sfx or for work with external mixer , not really stand alone device  for normal film job .
i have a feeling it came out as something to check the water and beeing a platform for the current products they shipping  now+ internal recorder for their big mixers .
the only thing i dont like on the sax is that not recording all the cahnnels to cf card  what become a drag to hook the recorder every time to computer make the down loads . hope that would change with the time .
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
Dear XXXXXXX,

at this time we are also correcting our current US pricing  due to the exchange rates. But this is for currently available products.
The USD has dropped quite a lot recently but it is slightly raising again since a few days.
Of course I am not a Master in economy but I do believ that the USD will raise again ( it is kept artificially too low actually because of some political reasons).

We will see how it will be in next February when the SX-R4 will be launched ...

Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX

Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
We will see how it will be in next February when the SX-R4 will be launched ...

:realhappy:

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
To all those who said it would slip from a fall '07 release +T!  8)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
Also due to the weak US$, the price is reaching $5000 (may go even higher next year if the $ still fall)

There is a video of it here:

http://www.gearwire.com/sonosax-new-products-aes-vienna.html

Anyone know if this machine can go mic-in for 4 channels or it needs an external preamp for the 3rd and 4th channel?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:35:27 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:23 PM »
It is supposed to have 4 powered Pre-Amps...  and 2 line-in

See Sonosax site for more details...  http://sonosax.com/index2.html

Final specs still not 100%.. 

They say FEB but who knows...

CQBert

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »
Just got a news letter...

There are updates and prices....

Offline meatling

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »
Just got a news letter...

There are updates and prices....
You beat me to it  ;D Bottom line: The SX-R4 will be launched REAL SOON NOW and it will be more expensive than originally planned, i.e. CHF 5,850 instead of 5,600 as is still announced on their web site. That's $5,700 USD as of today.

Offline amfortas2006

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »

I bet I have sent them 5 emails in the past 2-3 years, and did not get a single response regarding my SX-M2, Minir82 questions/availability, etc. I wonder how many MiniR82's actually sold? Certainly couldn't be that many. I think it is a horrible design for its intended use (Film/ENG/etc). Nothing would irritate me more than having to deal with an iPod sized recorder with a enormous breakout cable while in the field working. However, I bet it sounds real nice which probably makes it worth it! I find it funny that the SX-R4 can be run off 4AA batteries. I bet that last all of 20 minutes.  ::)

I have the Minir82, and I played dice with the battery last week and recorded a concert that was almost 3,5 hours long  with just one set of 4AA batteries (using an ORTF Schoeps CMC64) and internal minir82 preamps. That was with SWISS BATTERIES (2700 mAh). Wouldnt try that with VARTA batteries tough. Those died on me once after 30 min (brand new, bought that day)...

The breakout cable from the MiniR is actually quite small, just expencive and one cant really buy it around every corner...

And about SX-M2, I sent an eMail last week, and they answered in 3 days saying it is discontinued. Maybe it was just luck that they answered to me? And bad luck they dont have any more m2-s...

Anyone knows what other product can match the SX-M2 in size and quality?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:26:14 PM by amfortas2006 »

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
Some really nice pictures here:

http://www.perchman.com/albums/index.php?alb=56&img=709

It's actually smaller and lighter than the Sound Device recorders. Photos 6 and 9 makes it look really small. Definitely curious how this recorder will sound as an all in one with my mics.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:53 PM »

It's actually smaller and lighter than the Sound Device recorders. Photos 6 and 9 makes it look really small. Definitely curious how this recorder will sound as an all in one with my mics.

That thing is micro!  Definitely stealfable.  The display is a little lackluster, practically speaking it is doing it's job but there is no scale and it looks like the resolution is poor.

My experiences with Sonosax customer support was bad as well.  Sent a few emails about the plug needed to get a snug fit for the SX-M2.  Never responded to the two emails I sent.

Thanks for the link! +T  Philippe is obviously in love with the machine!  Love the locations, makes me wanna go back to Europe!

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »

That is a really kickass looking little recorder. I am curious of its performance. :hmmm:
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »
Sonosax stuff is elegant, not unlike a Bugatti.  And maybe as fragile, too.  To run against Nagra and SD you have to be rugged.  Folks want  recorders to work every time they turn them on.  <100% just does not cut it at this price range at all.  Only once would a recorder have to fail on me to get me upset.

And, being in the west, French, end of Switzerland is a ways off to be and to also have bad customer support.  SD has excellent customer support in my experience and I will bet you a fat man that Nagra does, too.  So just like women, pretty is not enough to go the distance.  For something serious I want a recorder I can live with, day in, day out.

As usual, YMMV

Damn sure a pretty recorder, though.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »
Some of you might be interested...this is the user manual:

http://sonosax.ch/recorders/sxr4/sx-r4-um-eng_v1.0.pdf

Good to hear it's now SHIPPING!

An online shop is selling it @ approx US$5800 in Europe.

Offline boojum

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 07:51:28 PM »
Pretty pricey for a four channel box no matter how elegant.  SD has the 788T at $5K.  I think that is a better buy.  I am prejudiced.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mozmoz8

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 05:11:17 AM »
I think the SD788T is actually about the same price ($5,995)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/788T/

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »
Pretty pricey for a four channel box no matter how elegant.  SD has the 788T at $5K.  I think that is a better buy.  I am prejudiced.

The Sonosax SX-R4 is an 8 channel recorder.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
Some real photos (not cartoon drawings). Anyone here purchased this recorder??

kskreider

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
I was just looking at his pictures and personally, I would get the Cantar instead:

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
Here's another good site. This is a review and some nice pictures. They also review other recorders (like the Nagra), too.

http://www.productionrecording.com/Tools/SonosaxSXR4.html

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »
Here's another good site. This is a review and some nice pictures. They also review other recorders (like the Nagra), too.

http://www.productionrecording.com/Tools/SonosaxSXR4.html

A good site - but interesting prices.

In the USA the Nagra VI is about $1500 more than the SD 788T - in the UK, the Nagra VI is cheaper.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
Anyone in this forum got this recorder?

Offline boojum

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »
Sonosax and Nagra are quite elegant.  I would first opt for the Nagra as it has a track record of working, regardless.  And the electronics in it are first class. The drawbacks for me are the price and the lack of a local factory repair site.  I understand that Nagra has a couple of good authorized facilities in the US.  I am not sure about Sonosax.

As for Cantar, well, French women are really so enticing, eh?   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
With the 788T out and the price drop in the minir82, it would be a hard sell for me to go the SX-R4 route even if I had the money for this unit.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »
Price drop for minir82?? How much is it now? I was thinking of getting the SX-R4 because it's has 4 internal mic preamps. The 744T only has 2 internal mic preamps. And the 788T is too big with a 24/48 limit. I think SXR4 is lighter and smaller than my 722 with batteries. Cannot think of a better all in one 4 track recorder smaller and lighter than the SX-R4. I think I can get it discounted. At the moment when ever I'm doing 4 track recording I'm carrying 442 and 722 with batteries which is very heavy and bulky.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »
with the British pound collapse , do it fast before they will update  the price
3000bp  without vat - about  4200 usd without shipping (another 100 or so)- probably at least 2 grand less then in trew audio  who bring these to usa
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline H₂O

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
I can't find the pricelist on the new Sonosax web site - but the last time  I checked the Mini-R82 was listed at approx $4600 USD and the R4 at approx $6200.   This is going off memory though.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
I can't find the pricelist on the new Sonosax web site

If you have to ask, you can't afford it :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »
Just heard that Sonosax has just increased their prices...so now it even more expensive!  :o

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:08 AM »
Sonosax has another crazy box !!!

I'll take one of these.

http://www.defitechnique.com/pdf/sonosax/E_SX-62R%20preliminary.pdf
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
Wow look at this picture! Why would anyone want so many!?

http://www.perchman.com/albums/index.php?alb=69&img=911

Still no one here has one of these?!

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Are there any recordings out there done with the Sonosax SX-r4? I'm very curious to hear how this box sounds. Figured I'd ask since these units have been out for awhile now.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
If I had the $$$ I would go for the Aeta 4MinX over the SX R4 or the 788t
LMA Recordings

List

Offline andyjah

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
If I had the $$$ I would go for the Aeta 4MinX over the SX R4 or the 788t

Have you heard either of these boxes yet? The 4minx is a bit more reasonably priced than the SXR4 right now. I doubt you could go wrong with either of these companies.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
No - the only 2 people I think that would would be John Willett and Oleg.
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 02:08:44 AM »
I want to hear this and the Aeta so badly. Remember that 4 channel Aeta preamp that surfaced a few years ago ??? It sold QUICK, but was BADASS and did 4 channel. Wonder who bought it and has it now ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline andyjah

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
Here is the first recording that I know of with the SX-R4

http://archive.org/details/strangefolk2012-03-31.Schoeps_mk41_16bit

Offline H₂O

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
Sounds pretty good - how far back?

Are you using external power or AA's?

I heard it is smaller than the SD 7 series -> How much smaller?

LMA Recordings

List

Offline andyjah

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
Sounds pretty good - how far back?

Are you using external power or AA's?

I heard it is smaller than the SD 7 series -> How much smaller?

I ran the 41s  about 125' from the stage almost center. It was run on an external 9v dvd battery. I can't speak for the 7series but it is quite a bit smaller than a R-44. I have the recorder,two batteries,Schoep KC5 setup and accessories all nicely fit into an old DAP1 portabrace. Loving the small footprint of this rig.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
any comments on the sonosax house sound (and how prevalent it still is)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline andyjah

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

I'd describe it as still warm but a very open transparent sound to it. Very accurate detail to it. I've only run one show with it so far though so I'm very anxious to get it into all the regular venues around here. Very easy to use. It's just going through the menus and making sure everything gets routed properly.

There is also a Microtech Gefell source from the Strangefolk show to check out as well. I ran the mg200s into the SXR4 since Smokin Joe had brought them along. I figured tapers would want to hear the different mics going into this thing. My ears lean towards the Schoeps  :).

Here is the Gefell source

http://archive.org/details/strangefolk2012-03-31.mg200_16bit

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

I'd describe it as still warm but a very open transparent sound to it. Very accurate detail to it.

Does it smear, spread, or sparkle (sonically) less than the old sx-m2?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline andyjah

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »

I'd describe it as still warm but a very open transparent sound to it. Very accurate detail to it.

I think it's still got warmness but much cleaner than the SXM2.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »

I think it's still got warmness but much cleaner than the SXM2.

Thanks!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »
I like the way it sounds with the Schoeps a lot better than the way it does with the Gefells.  Schoeps > Sax is a well established marriage that's worked well for you for a long time.  Now you have a smaller bag, a lot less connections and the same great sound.  Hell yes I'm jealous.  ;D

I'm sure Teddy will have some AKGs for you to try.  I want to hear it with Jessie's Funken Tubes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:47:36 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline andyjah

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
I like the way it sounds with the Schoeps a lot better than the way it does with the Gefells.  Schoeps > Sax is a well established marriage that's worked well for you for a long time.  Now you have a smaller bag, a lot less connections and the same great sound.  Hell yes I'm jealous.  ;D

I'm sure Teddy will have some AKGs for you to try.  I want to hear it with Jessie's Funken Tubes.

Joe, I do think there is a somewhat brighter sound with this than my old rig. I'd describe the difference as brighter and more open but still a beautiful warmth to it with more accuracy in the instruments. 

I think the gefell hypers would have been a better match for that room.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »
How is the display and level meters?
LMA Recordings

List

Offline andyjah

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
How is the display and level meters?

The level meters are a little small on the eyes but once you learn it it's pretty easy. There is a reference level you can set on the meters so you know your hitting the right levels. I have mine set at -9db so as long as I'm pushing a bit past that I know I'm there. The led system is the true way to tell. I forget the settings when the greens, yellows and reds hit but that is what I tend to watch to tell where I'm hitting. As usual with Sonosax it seems to like to be run hot. My SXM2 always liked to be run with the reds just hitting occasionally. Looking forward to getting it out in the field again this weekend. I was very impressed with the results from that Strangefolk gig.

This summer I'll be hitting Phish at Jones Beach, Worcester and SPAC. Anyone is more than welcome to try their mics into the other 2 channels that I'm not using for those or any other gigs I'm at where I'm only running 2 channels.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »

Joe, I do think there is a somewhat brighter sound with this than my old rig. I'd describe the difference as brighter and more open but still a beautiful warmth to it with more accuracy in the instruments. 

I think the gefell hypers would have been a better match for that room.

I don't think it sounds brighter with the MK41's, at least not in a bad way... more open?  Yeah maybe a little.  I think the pre's are probably identical, you've taken the apogee out of the loop.

When I heard the Gefell source my first thought was "Hmmm too sparkly."  I listened again the next day and I liked it. Gefells, at least the M20 card caps, have a fairly generous presence hump, and SX-R4 may tend to emphasize that rather than minimize it.  IMO the same with the the few Gefell/SX-M2 tapes I've heard.  That's not a dig against the Sax, just an observation.  Some combos are magically delicious, and some aren't.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:21:12 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.219 seconds with 90 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com