Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nbox? What is it?  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Nbox? What is it?
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
Is it just a power supply/battery box? Cannot find any useful information. I can only see Nbox in the bottom lines, together with the other equipment used.

Roger

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nbox? What is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »
The nbox is a custom-made box (made by Schoepsnbox here on ts.com).  It's a preamp and phantom power supply for Schoeps capsules.  The nbox also includes a pair of active cables that eliminates the need for the Schoeps body (CMC5 or CMC6) and/or the Schoeps KC5 active cables.  The included cables connect directly to the Schoeps capsule, so at the microphone end the termination is only slightly larger than the capsule itself (great for hat mounting).  The nbox is powered internally by four 9 volt batteries.  The outputs of the nbox run straight into Line In on a recorder.  Many or probably most people use the nbox for low profile recording, since it makes a nice compact package when used in conjunction with a handheld recorder such as an R09HR or PCM-M10.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:07:19 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
[...] The nbox also includes a pair of active cables that eliminates the need for the Schoeps body (CMC5 or CMC6) and/or the Schoeps KC5 active cables.  The included cables connect directly to the Schoeps capsule, so at the microphone end the termination is only slightly larger than the capsule itself (great for hat mounting). [...]

Wow, nice reply altogether. I didn't know about the above.  :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
look at this this thread for pics of all types of boxes, including the N box that can be used as preamps for full sized/bodied mics or active style setups, as tonedeaf mentioned

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:33 AM »
Thank you guys!

If I want more detailed information on Nbox, it is Schoepsnbox I should contact?

Roger

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
^ Correctomundo

Offline JoeRay

• Joe Ray Skrha, Attorney at Law
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »
Hi Rogar,
     I saw your question about what a NBOX is...  I have a NBOX with a pair of Schoeps MK4's and a Sony M10 recorder.  I just posted this comment about my dealing with Nick and thought you might like to read it.  Peace, Joe Ray

Greetings Friends and Happy New Year to you all...
     Several years ago I took the advice of a fellow taper and purchased a NBOX new from Nick.  This last month I was having an issue or two with my rig and I wrote Nick for advice.  He responded immediately and graciously and offered to check out and repair my rig.  I sent it to him.  Today I received my rig back.  It was in great shape, it was double boxed and returned Fex Ex.
     I was so very impressed with this mans professionalism and personal attention, I had to write this note to our forum and let others know what a jewel we have in this gentleman. Let me be the first to nominate Nick to the Taper's Hall of Fame (if we ever have one).  Thankyou Nick...  Peace,  Joe Ray Skrha, Kenai River, Alaska...
Joe Ray Skrha
Videographer-Songwriter-FlyFisherman
Attorney at Law
110 North Willow St; Suite 137
Kenai, AK 99611
907-283-7100 office
907-283-6100 fax
907-398-1800 cell
joeray@alaska.net

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
Peace,  Joe Ray Skrha, Kenai River, Alaska...

Cool name.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »
About 3 years ago, I started listening to homemade tapes on The Dime, and quickly figured out that there were two types of tapes I likes, the Schoeps > NBox tapes and the KM150 >AnyPreampt tapes, with a modest preference to the Schoeps sound.  My experience over the past three years has made me a fan of the former.  While the sound, in some circumstances, can be a bit too warm (read, bass heavy), it is quickly remedied using a wave editor and an EQ.  For the stealth taping that I do (good tickets, close in, sweet spot), it is just about perfect.  Yeah, its a battery hog, but so what.  When I am popping $100 plus for tickets, I don't give a shit about a $5 battery. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com