Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diginoise blows  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
diginoise blows
« on: October 26, 2003, 01:42:42 PM »
so i'm listening to this ween show my friend taped, i transferred it from his m1 (which isn't in the best shape) to my usbpre via spdif coax, and there are some diginoise spots.  i am not sure if they were on the dat originally, he mentioned about his mike gordon show (which i also transferred the same way on the same day) that he didn't hear any diginoise.  but it's on the copies i made.  still unsure if it is actually on the dat or not, as i don't know how critically he has listened.
hahaha...gene ween just said "somebody threw a bottle of vodka on the stage" in the middle of a song, the crowd boos, and gene says "and after the show, i'm gonna fuck his girlfriend!"  :lol:

anyways....
so i'm wondering, if this problem is on my side, should i try increasing buffers in wavelab for recording?  i don't ever have problems like this recording 24/48 from the usbpre mic inputs, but this 16/44.1 signal seems to be kinda bunk.
unfortunately i don't have too much to test this with, i guess i could always play back a file 16/44.1 from my home pc through the echo mia card spdif to my usbpre and see if i get these nasty spots...
thanks for any help.

it's really too bad too, this ween show is great (too bad i couldn't make it) and the quality is sweet!  mbho 603 > dmic-20 > co2 (used to split coax to the m1 and optical to njb3) > m1
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re:diginoise blows
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 11:54:17 PM »
did you try playing the tape back in HIS m1?
maybe since you say it's old, etc... maybe the heads are SLIGHLY outta alignment.
In which case you could play back the tape (transfer it) on HIS m1 (The original mastering deck) and be fine.
My buddy has the same problem w/ his dap-1, it records fine, but his masters won't play w/o diginoise & dropouts in my home deck da20.
So, he can only transfer his masters using his mastering deck.

If that's not the case, my guess would be maybe its related to how it was recorded at the show
Coax out on dmic> c02 (maybe problem there?)>splitter>m1?  there could be avaraiety of reasons for the errors.

i'd say first try playing it back in the original master deck

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:diginoise blows
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »
that's the thing, i played it back in the original deck (i don't even own a working dat deck) to transfer to computer.  i could always get the cd's he made with it and/or the deck/dat again to test, i was just thinking out loud about what the problem may be.  he doesn't seem to think the problem is on his tape...either he's right and it's a problem with my stuff (buffer size or otherwise) or he didn't listen critically enough and he does have the diginoise.  
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com