Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just ordered my new set up - should recv by the end of the week  (Read 6395 times)

Offline djspurlz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi all -

thanks for the replies to my original post

Decided to go with -

Olympus LS-10

Deluxe Audio Technica Stereo Cardoid Microphones   SP-CMC-2

Mini Battery Module to power the Microphones

ordered everything through Sound Professionals .com  -  Nice place,  very helpful ; free shipping.

should recv my set up by the end of this week.

The show Im going to to record -  is next Fri 4-18 - so I should have some time to get ready.

any other suggestions or opinions would be greatly welcomed

thanks

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just ordered my new set up - should recv by the end of the week
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
Let us know how you like the Olympus LS-10.  Those AT831's are nice price entry-level mics.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline thespangleman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Good luck with your new rig. I am thinking of buying a set of SP-CMC-2's to go with my R-09 and batt. box, so I will be interested to know how you get on on the 18th.  :)
Sound Pro's AT-943 Cards > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »
Hi all -

thanks for the replies to my original post

Decided to go with -

Olympus LS-10

Deluxe Audio Technica Stereo Cardoid Microphones   SP-CMC-2

Mini Battery Module to power the Microphones

ordered everything through Sound Professionals .com  -  Nice place,  very helpful ; free shipping.

should recv my set up by the end of this week.

The show Im going to to record -  is next Fri 4-18 - so I should have some time to get ready.

any other suggestions or opinions would be greatly welcomed

thanks

+T
Enjoy your gear.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
Congrats and welcome aboard!
+t for taking the plunge.
I just need a solid recorder to tape a live show - I dont plan on taping many other shows in the future but that could all change I guess.
I hope you'll stick with it in the future.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

nameloc01

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
Here's a few important tips:

1.831s-Cardiod mics? Point those mics DIRECTLY at the stacks.
2. Be still,be very,very still.
3.Is there a "line in" on that recorder? Probably have to use it instead of mic in
4. Use fresh, quality batteries.

Good luck

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
Also don't assume anything, so setup and record some music from your stereo before the show.  Also, don't stop there.  Practice downloading the music to your harddrive and mastering the sample with whatever software you'll be useing before you try with the 'real thing' (unless you're experienced at mastering shows).  Practice absolutely EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING before you do it for real.   Even the simplest thing _WILL_ come up and grab you when you're out in the field because that's where Murphy lies in the shadows. 

Murphy is a miserable bastard and he preys on newbs. 

Please trust me on this because preparation and practice are your best friend when you're time limited before a show with new gear.  If something bad can happen it will happen and you want to learn those lessons at home where it doesn't matter.

nameloc01

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
He's right. You should definitely be able to completely set that rig up in minutes,undetected, and basically know the complete layout of the recorder controls and get it going correctly immediately. Fast and smooth. Try it home, and practice until you can do it perfectly.

Some more advise..
-Don't talk
-Don't put your hands in front of the mics while the music is on to sip a beer
-again..DONT MOVE
-clip your mics on SECURELY
- and the single most IMPORTANT thing to do... Piss several times before the show begins. You haven't had a real taste of dissapointent until you have to walk away from recording a very important show out of fear of pissing yourself.

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
1.831s-Cardiod mics? Point those mics DIRECTLY at the stacks.

I'm curious why you would suggest this...just curious. Was it personal experience? I sold off my 831s, but when I had a pair, I found they worked better when pointed more towards the outside of a pair of line arrays. With a SP battery module, I found they distorted slightly on the low end when aimed right at the stacks (or one of the stacks).

The 831s with a SP battery module also do not work well (at all) at greater distances from the sound source.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:41 PM »
He's right. You should definitely be able to completely set that rig up in minutes,undetected, and basically know the complete layout of the recorder controls and get it going correctly immediately. Fast and smooth. Try it home, and practice until you can do it perfectly.

Some more advise..
-Don't talk
-Don't put your hands in front of the mics while the music is on to sip a beer
-again..DONT MOVE
-clip your mics on SECURELY
- and the single most IMPORTANT thing to do... Piss several times before the show begins. You haven't had a real taste of dissapointent until you have to walk away from recording a very important show out of fear of pissing yourself.

Excelent point. ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 09:37:35 PM »
I meant that he should not clip the mics on pointing sideways,straight up,downwards,ect. Cards are directional..they need to be "targeted" in on the source of the sound,obviously not directly side by side both pointing straight forward... But basically right toward the stacks.

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

In fact, if you're really committed to the recording, you might not want to drink before the show.  I mean, realisticly who can hold it for two hours if you've had say three beers before the start of the show.  

This is one of the reasons I don't go undercover anymore.  I just record BTAT so I can setup open and just enjoy the show.  It frees me to do four things at a show which improve my enjoyment ten-fold...1) I can dance, 2) I can drink, 3) I can talk, and 4) I can pee.

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »
Do you really have to stay motionless in the same spot for the entire show?  What does it sound like if you're not a "human mic stand" while stealth taping? 

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »
Obviously, if you turn your head to look at the girls boobs next to you, you're gonna hear that in recording.  To convince yourself, you stick your mics on your hat in binaural fashion and walk around the house.  It's amazing how 3D it sounds.

In terms of standing dead still, of course that's not a big deal.  You can shift around and maybe even move a little right and left to get away from talkers, but other than that, you're gonna hear the movements in how the balance is created between the stereo mics.  Yeah, it can be subtle and some people may be more anal about this than others, but you can hear the difference. 

Part of the problem is that the dynamics of a room can change significantly if you standing in point A versus point B and they may only be a few feet from each other.  I tape at a place in pittsburgh where the dynamics of the room are can change HUGELY in just a few feet.

When I stealthed, I liked to have the mics on my hat...then if I really needed to I could take my hat off and leave the hat pointed forward while I turned my head to sneeze or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:48:50 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline djspurlz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:10:10 AM »
wow - thanks guys for all the great info  I was def not planning on drinking anything during the show - espec because of the " pee " factor

im def going to practice before the show

any other thoughts , suggestions - are def welcome

thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com