Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Protecting gear  (Read 2847 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Protecting gear
« on: November 17, 2004, 09:06:20 AM »
I am looking for something to house my v3 and keep it from being so exposed, additionally I have some new mics that are SD with active setup, I am interested in hearing what would be the best to house the bodies. And is a good/better idea to run a xlr cable b/t the bodies and the preamp, this is while using actives. Thanks for any help, I know you guys have some great ideas, while I suck
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Protecting gear
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:11:57 AM »
kind of in the same interest of your question...how do people keep thier cables from getting tangled when they leave them plugged in?  i'd like to leave my xlr's plugged in on the back of my v3, but just leaving the cables lay in my bag seems like they could get damaged easier.

------------------------

as for housing the bodies, i've seen some modified pelican cases where the bodies sit in foam and on each end the case is cut slightly for the cables to come and go.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:13:38 AM »
that seems like there would be more gear, couldn't there be something smaller
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:18:17 AM »
still one small case holding two bodies is better than two bodies floating around your bag.  *shrug*  i dunno, heh.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 09:24:04 AM »
still one small case holding two bodies is better than two bodies floating around your bag.  *shrug*  i dunno, heh.

+T for helping, even though I dont particularly like your option
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 09:29:47 AM »
haha, +t backatcha.

ok, buy some 4022's no big bodies to mess with.  ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 09:48:49 AM »
I wrap my mic bodies in a sock and zip-tie the ends of the socks to keep 'em inside.  Takes up no more space, though doesn't offer the hard-case protection of a Pelican or some such.  Then again, I don't chuck my bag around and so far so good.

I have very short XLRs between mics and V3, so I don't do anything with 'em other than just arrange the cables + bodies in the bottom of the bag and leave 'em there for good.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »
I, too, am using a rack-type setup to keep everything connected at all times inside a bag and yet still be protected.  I posted pics of the setup sometime ago

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=16161

also - somewhere in there is a pic of the tupperware container I keep my 480s in.

Hope this helps.

edit:  oops... didn't realize pictures expire here.  I'll try to find one or two to give you an idea.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »
i'm dinking around with the idea of building the v3, batts, jb3, and mics into a pelican and afixing a i/o plate to the outside.  this way the 'headend' is contained, and all connections are outside.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 11:32:43 AM »
I have a short run of zoalla's that go in on one side of a pocket (through a hole that I cut) in my bag and connect to the bodies.  The actives run out of the other side of the pocket (through another hole) and are coiled in my bag.  I took some foam pipe insulation and cut pieces the length of the bodies which wraps around the bodies inside the pocket   Generally, I don't ever unhook the bodies.  The only thing that gets changed are the caps.  The caps stay hooked up inside the bag inbetween shows and are protected by small windscreen.  The only thing I have to do when I get home is plug in the charger to the batteries for the next time out.  Only thing to remember for the next show are tapes.

I'll try to take a picture to give a better idea of how it all works...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 11:33:43 AM »
Here is my solution.  It has proven to be a good choice for me.  Fits in a backpack or lumbar bag.  Bodies are fixed, so they don't rattle around.  Easily put a JB3 in place of the D7 and the optical cable would be well protected. 

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22277.0
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 11:57:10 AM »
I have a short run of zoalla's that go in on one side of a pocket (through a hole that I cut) in my bag and connect to the bodies.  The actives run out of the other side of the pocket (through another hole) and are coiled in my bag.  I took some foam pipe insulation and cut pieces the length of the bodies which wraps around the bodies inside the pocket   Generally, I don't ever unhook the bodies.  The only thing that gets changed are the caps.  The caps stay hooked up inside the bag inbetween shows and are protected by small windscreen.  The only thing I have to do when I get home is plug in the charger to the batteries for the next time out.  Only thing to remember for the next show are tapes.

I'll try to take a picture to give a better idea of how it all works...

must see picture, I can't get past the first sentence without having to go back and say dew wha?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 07:56:48 AM »
Here is my solution.  It has proven to be a good choice for me.  Fits in a backpack or lumbar bag.  Bodies are fixed, so they don't rattle around.  Easily put a JB3 in place of the D7 and the optical cable would be well protected. 

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22277.0

How do you see your deck when that rack is in a bag?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 08:07:40 AM »
I wrap my mic bodies in a sock and zip-tie the ends of the socks to keep 'em inside.

I do the same things except I used rubber bands instead of zip ties (I think I stole the idea from you). The bodies are wrapped in bubble-wrap.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com