Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stage mics for Hot Buttered Rum String Band  (Read 6425 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Stage mics for Hot Buttered Rum String Band
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:18:52 PM »
HBRSB play a shit hole bar/rest in Santa Barbara and the crowd is usaually drunk and comes to talk more then to listen during the show. I have tried a couple times w/ my stand (out in the crowd) but this time I have my Banfrotto Quick clamp and want to try clampin' it to the stage w/ my Omni caps on. Any one try this for HBRSB and have any suggestions ? Such as whut to set my UA5 at since I'll be that close ( my guess would be @ around 12:00) or placement of my C4's w/ omni caps on (I well be using my swivel t-bar). I might be able to get a SDB feed but I prefer Audience and Matrix probally would not be a good method here considerin' I only have 15' cables and the crowd sucks. Thanks in advance.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Stage mics for Hot Buttered Rum String Band
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:25:27 PM »
i set up at the stage lip in oxford, MS... same type of crowd... ran the TLs XY (cards) right near one of the monitors and it came out pretty well.

with the omnis... if you can get the mics set up between their mics on 2 seperate stands, about 1/3 of the way in, from each side of the stage, with 1/3 of the stage between them, then it would probably sound OK... if you had more cable, I would say to put them up on the far edges of the stage...

i have taped onstage and used DIN, ORTF, XY, and blumlein... never used omnis though.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:26:22 AM »
So when you split your mics like that, what type of stand do you for on-stage recording? Is is just a shorter type of stand?

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:42:02 AM »
i would use a standard mic stand or a kick-drum stand... one with a 10-20 lb base on the bottom of it, with a small footprint.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:43:46 AM »
one like this...

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:49:42 AM »
Do they sing? Just be sure you'll be able to pick up enough vocals through the stage monitors.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 12:21:04 PM »
+T  keepongoin'   thanks for that pic!   I guess the main thing is to find out what's coming out of those monitors to make sure you're capturing everything.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »
that is what i did there for garaj mahal... they don't sing much, but Fareed's guitar was quiet in the house mix, but loud in the monitors... it sounded great.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:45:22 PM »
I've heard one on-stage tape of hbrsb and it blew.  Last time I saw them they had had NO stage amplification... everything went into d/I boxes and then to the console.  This is worse case scenario for stage taping.  A band like Garage Mahal is different because they have large guitar, bass and keyboard amps on stage, and THAT is what you are recording.  IMHO a pull from the monitors is going to suck.  The only thing you can really hope for is a VERY quiet audience so that you can pick up sounds directly off the acoustics of the instruments, and the vocals right off of their mouths.  That is a crap shoot though... I would go for the sweet spot.  The mix off the monitors is not meant to sound good, it is meant to give information to the guys on stage... it is not usually a full range mix.  " ...hey Josh, give me a little more mando in my monitor"  You hear that on a million tapes.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 12:04:44 AM »
When I saw them in January of this year everthing was electric including the bass bryon was palying and they had stacks on both side of the small stage. I think they have been messin' w/ there setup lately and have ampfied there instrurements.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »
When I saw them in January of this year everthing was electric including the bass bryon was palying and they had stacks on both side of the small stage. I think they have been messin' w/ there setup lately and have ampfied there instrurements.
Peace

if that is the case, you will get the music fine and you will be counting on the monitors for the vox.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »
Peace

By electric, do you mean plying through an amplifier (like an electric guitar), or just plugged in (as into a DI box)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 11:14:30 AM »
I believe everyone has a pickup put into their instruement and Bryon has a new electric acoustic bass with built in pickup kinda like a Wasserman(old bass player for Ratdog) deal.
PEACE
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 11:16:08 AM by rowjimmytour »
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Yeah,I was pretty sure of that, Just wanted to clarify that for the original question.  So they are plugged in through DI boxes, but not playing through amps, so not really electric.   They also have been using In Ear monitors.  So that means zero stage volume on anything.  Definitely should bag running onstage and run out in the Aud or go for a SBD feed.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 10:21:36 PM »
good catch brad... this is what I was trying to say.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com