Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack vs MicroTrack II?  (Read 9554 times)

Offline aowzone

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
MicroTrack vs MicroTrack II?
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
Can anyone run down the difference between these?  I haven't been able to find a comparison.

I'm in need of a cheap bit bucket and can get an original MicroTrack for about half of what a MicroTrack II is going for.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MicroTrack vs MicroTrack II?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
I've only used the original MT but I think I'm right in saying that the MT2 can do seamless filesplits at 2Gb, which the original cannot.

So if you're taping at anything above 44.1kHz/16bit I think the MT2 would be the only real choice.

To be fair this may be akin to asking which to choose between a kick to the face and a kick to the balls...

To be absolutely fair, I think the Microtrack is probably the cheapest bitbucket out there and quite a few people are very happy with it in that capacity.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline aowzone

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
I've only used the original MT but I think I'm right in saying that the MT2 can do seamless filesplits at 2Gb, which the original cannot.

So if you're taping at anything above 44.1kHz/16bit I think the MT2 would be the only real choice.

To be fair this may be akin to asking which to choose between a kick to the face and a kick to the balls...

To be absolutely fair, I think the Microtrack is probably the cheapest bitbucket out there and quite a few people are very happy with it in that capacity.
]

Ah!  That's fantastic.  Deal killer right there, if it can't split at 2GB.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
100% can't do split
i can give you more details if you want but thats the basic of it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »
MT2496 will do splits but not seamless. It will work on it's own and start a new file, or faster if you hit record twice. And how fast also depends on the size of the card and file size as the MT2496 must save the file first. That said as a bit bucket, MT2 is seamless so much better for that purpose. The MT2 has problems with the TRS jacks when the input is unbalanced, the MT2496 does not. The MT 2496 has additional gain controls on the side, the MT2 does not. The MT2496 runs super hot so easily distorts on the 3.5mm jacks, the MT2 (I am told) does not. I own many of the smaller decks (LS-10, DR-08, DR 2D, R-05, DR100mkII) and I still like the MT for my purposes most of the time. And of course none of those will operate as a bit bucket. The decks are quirky though and if you do not follow certain processes (lock the controls, and watch the file save before shutting it wdown) you are asking for disaster. Once those are mastered, the deck is fine. It is possible though that there are a lot of tempermental or poorly made ones out there, I have had good luck personally.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:18:56 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
I own many of the smaller decks (LS-10, DR-08, DR 2D, R-05, DR100mkII) and I still like the MT for my purposes most of the time. And of course none of those will operate as a bit bucket.

Your DR100mkII will.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline chitaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
I have had a 24/96 since they first came out, and by coincidence just got a "like new" MT II today that I bought for $100 on ebay.

I got the MT II for the seamless file split capabilities, my original 24/96 is still going strong and I haven't had any problems with it since they finally got the firmware settled down many years ago.

I only used it for a bit bucket though, as I intend to use the MT II so I can't comment on the analog input features.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:53:08 PM by chitaper »

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
I own many of the smaller decks (LS-10, DR-08, DR 2D, R-05, DR100mkII) and I still like the MT for my purposes most of the time. And of course none of those will operate as a bit bucket.

Your DR100mkII will.

Only if fed a S/PDIF signal.  It is not as forgiving as the MT if fed an AES signal via the RCA input.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Fair enough, only meant to correct an over-broad mis-statement which may mislead others.
Thanks for the specifics.  I've used neither myself.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aowzone

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
I have had a 24/96 since they first came out, and by coincidence just got a "like new" MT II today that I bought for $100 on ebay.

I got the MT II for the seamless file split capabilities, my original 24/96 is still going strong and I haven't had any problems with it since they finally got the firmware settled down many years ago.

I only used it for a bit bucket though, as I intend to use the MT II so I can't comment on the analog input features.

Damn you!  I think you're the one who stole it from me ;)

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
OK, playing with my "new" MT II I notice another difference - the backlight on the MT II automatically turns off when the "hold" button is on. Very annoying, the 24/96 didn't do that.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:19 AM »

Your DR100mkII will.

Only if fed a S/PDIF signal.  It is not as forgiving as the MT if fed an AES signal via the RCA input.

I added this (DR100MKII) deck to my list without thinking. It DOES accept S/PDIF and I really like it a great deal. But as Rodeen said, not from all S/PDIF signals, which is a shame, but my statement was (accidentally) misleading, so I appreciate both the correction and the additonal info. (DR100MKII -S/PDIF with and asterisk  ;D) The MT2496 is robust as a bit bucket. And I for sure cannot think of why the light goes out on the MT2 when the hold button is engaged. My bet would be a firmware error that never got fixed, as there is no upside to  this feature as it currently works and it does go off, even when set to "always on". I really like the MT2496 better, BUT the lack of a seamless split can be a big factor or deal killer. I usually go at 24/48, so there is almost always a break or intermission before I would need to worry.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
Microtrack - will burst into flames

Microtrack II - will NOT burst into flames

That was the major improvement.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
Microtrack - will burst into flames

Microtrack II - will NOT burst into flames

That was the major improvement.

In a death match between recorders, the Microtrack blows them all away!

BrianS will be along momentarily to deride us for our cultural insensitivity toward the protected class of exploding recorders, which contains only the Microtrack ;)

Any purchase of a microtrack should come with the knowledge that the original battery is likely worn out.  I replaced mine, which was a bit of effort.  Still haven't sold it yet, so continued ownership gives me the moral authority to make fun of it... even if I don't worry about it exploding.  Much.

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
In a death match between recorders, the Microtrack blows them all away!

BrianS will be along momentarily to deride us for our cultural insensitivity toward the protected class of exploding recorders, which contains only the Microtrack ;)

Any purchase of a microtrack should come with the knowledge that the original battery is likely worn out.  I replaced mine, which was a bit of effort.  Still haven't sold it yet, so continued ownership gives me the moral authority to make fun of it... even if I don't worry about it exploding.  Much.
I'm pretty sure the one I just bought was rarely if ever used, not a scratch on it and the cables were still factory tied. And the included 4GB CF card contained no music... it did contain 260mb of interesting pictures though!  ;D

And my 24/96 never once burst into flames!   8)

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
I'll chime in here about the MTII since I've been through the ringer with different mishaps with it. 

First thing is it works a lot better when recording in 16/44.  It is quirky as hell in 24 bit mode.  I now just use it to record DAT's and it has no problems since I record in 16/44.  I only used the SPDIF connection so I can't speak to the 1/8 or 1/4 TRS type inputs

Totally agree it's a pain in the ass with having no backlight if you want to lock it, but I had a problem once when I locked it and it just shut off about 10 min into a show at 24/48, no rhyme or reason.  I figured it didn't like to be locked and with the CF card I used at the time (Kingston) it could have been the combo of the brand of CF card and locking the unit.

If recording in 24/48, at any given time it will not switch to a new file after 1.86gb's which is the max for one file in 24/48.  It will just stop as if you hit the record button to save the last file.  I've been through all kinds of CF cards, had tons of issues with Kingston so avoid that brand, and the most successful I got was with RiData brand high speed (133x speed).  The MTII needs a high speed CF card or it gets confused when switching to a new file and just saves the last file then stops.  Since it was like Russian Roulette I just finally gave up using it in the field and got a Marantz 661 which is quite larger than your typical bit bucket and more costly ($550) but it was well worth it.

The average going price for an MTII is $150, thought I saw Amazon selling them new for that price.  Like I said you'll be fine with recording in 16 bit.  Good luck with the MTII

Tom
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:28:31 PM by Rockinman59 »
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline seanay

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Just put a cheap bid on a MT I on eBay, but maybe I should have read this thread first.  I have a question about the filesplitting that's slightly stupid, so forgive me: does this mean that I cannot record more than 2 GB at a time before the recorder will stop?  I'd like to be able to get an entire show on a CF card at 24/96 and would like to not have to worry about changing cards midway through the show.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
does this mean that I cannot record more than 2 GB at a time before the recorder will stop?

Yup. But you can do a double-tap on the record button (if I remember correctly) during a break between songs to quickly start another file. This can sometimes take a few seconds though so you need to pick a moment you can afford to lose a good few seconds of.

It might also be worth checking out the thread(s) debating the benefits of recording at 96kHz - personally, I would regard that as overkill for nearly every situation I find myself in.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline nullcorp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
I would avoid anything with the M-Audio logo on it, personally. From cheap interfaces and MIDI controllers to the Microtrack, I'm pretty sure their name means "piece of junk" in Chinese.

I actually joined this forum to ask about replacements for my Microtrack II, which sometimes records nothing but white noise, sometimes locks up in a way that cannot be escaped until the battery drains, and sometimes decides to eat all the files on the CF card if I forget to format before the 2GB threshold is reached. And yes, I have updated the firmware.

The worst is that the internal battery has a 90-day warranty. That says it all. After about a year I'm lucky to get an hour of recording time on mine after a full charge. AVOID.

Offline TomBoisseau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »
I'll chime in here about the MTII since I've been through the ringer with different mishaps with it. 

First thing is it works a lot better when recording in 16/44.  It is quirky as hell in 24 bit mode.  I now just use it to record DAT's and it has no problems since I record in 16/44.  I only used the SPDIF connection so I can't speak to the 1/8 or 1/4 TRS type inputs

Totally agree it's a pain in the ass with having no backlight if you want to lock it, but I had a problem once when I locked it and it just shut off about 10 min into a show at 24/48, no rhyme or reason.  I figured it didn't like to be locked and with the CF card I used at the time (Kingston) it could have been the combo of the brand of CF card and locking the unit.

If recording in 24/48, at any given time it will not switch to a new file after 1.86gb's which is the max for one file in 24/48.  It will just stop as if you hit the record button to save the last file.  I've been through all kinds of CF cards, had tons of issues with Kingston so avoid that brand, and the most successful I got was with RiData brand high speed (133x speed).  The MTII needs a high speed CF card or it gets confused when switching to a new file and just saves the last file then stops.  Since it was like Russian Roulette I just finally gave up using it in the field and got a Marantz 661 which is quite larger than your typical bit bucket and more costly ($550) but it was well worth it.

The average going price for an MTII is $150, thought I saw Amazon selling them new for that price.  Like I said you'll be fine with recording in 16 bit.  Good luck with the MTII

Tom

I agree!

I had a lot of problems with my MicroTrack II, such as frequent lock ups and files that had no sound.  A friend of mine also has a MT II and has experianced similar problems.  That being said, it seems that just about all these issues happened when using the SPDIF input.  It appears to be reasonably reliable when using the analog inputs, howbeit rather noisey!

Too bad really!  It is an amazing full featured recorder that is easy to use.  If they could ever make it reliable, I'd buy another!  But for now, I replaced it with a Marantz PMD661.

Tom

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
I picked up an MT2 on eBay for $56.00. I figured since I have always had no problems with the MT 2496 that the MT2 with seamless splits would be good. However mine was useless, and I never could get it to work at all. I only tried at 24/48, and that was just a disaster. As I tried more things to get it to work, like upgrading or reinstalling the firmware, I finally got it's firmware to a point where it will not even boot up.  :-X So having had an MT 2496 since it's inception and like many others having had no problems at all since the third or firmware upgrade, I'd say it is very much better than the MT2. The backlight will stay lit if you choose. It will work as a bit bucket or analog (the 1/4 TRS jacks are much better than the 1/8 input though), but the splits are not seamless.

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
Is it general for Microtrack 2496 while using external battery to not saving the file when battery ends and MT shut down? I know it needs some time to save the file even when I push to stop rec, so I guess I have no chance to get the file repaired or something, right?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Is it general for Microtrack 2496 while using external battery to not saving the file when battery ends and MT shut down? I know it needs some time to save the file even when I push to stop rec, so I guess I have no chance to get the file repaired or something, right?

If the MT shuts down when the battery dies it doesn't have a chance to write a file header but the info should still be on the card. There are several threads here on ts about how to recover seemingly lost files. See the Data Recovery and Corrupt or 0 byte file sections of this post for links.

My best advice is to do NOTHING with the card until you read some of those links.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com