Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack vs MicroTrack II?  (Read 9555 times)

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: MicroTrack vs MicroTrack II?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
I'll chime in here about the MTII since I've been through the ringer with different mishaps with it. 

First thing is it works a lot better when recording in 16/44.  It is quirky as hell in 24 bit mode.  I now just use it to record DAT's and it has no problems since I record in 16/44.  I only used the SPDIF connection so I can't speak to the 1/8 or 1/4 TRS type inputs

Totally agree it's a pain in the ass with having no backlight if you want to lock it, but I had a problem once when I locked it and it just shut off about 10 min into a show at 24/48, no rhyme or reason.  I figured it didn't like to be locked and with the CF card I used at the time (Kingston) it could have been the combo of the brand of CF card and locking the unit.

If recording in 24/48, at any given time it will not switch to a new file after 1.86gb's which is the max for one file in 24/48.  It will just stop as if you hit the record button to save the last file.  I've been through all kinds of CF cards, had tons of issues with Kingston so avoid that brand, and the most successful I got was with RiData brand high speed (133x speed).  The MTII needs a high speed CF card or it gets confused when switching to a new file and just saves the last file then stops.  Since it was like Russian Roulette I just finally gave up using it in the field and got a Marantz 661 which is quite larger than your typical bit bucket and more costly ($550) but it was well worth it.

The average going price for an MTII is $150, thought I saw Amazon selling them new for that price.  Like I said you'll be fine with recording in 16 bit.  Good luck with the MTII

Tom
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:28:31 PM by Rockinman59 »
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Just put a cheap bid on a MT I on eBay, but maybe I should have read this thread first.  I have a question about the filesplitting that's slightly stupid, so forgive me: does this mean that I cannot record more than 2 GB at a time before the recorder will stop?  I'd like to be able to get an entire show on a CF card at 24/96 and would like to not have to worry about changing cards midway through the show.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
does this mean that I cannot record more than 2 GB at a time before the recorder will stop?

Yup. But you can do a double-tap on the record button (if I remember correctly) during a break between songs to quickly start another file. This can sometimes take a few seconds though so you need to pick a moment you can afford to lose a good few seconds of.

It might also be worth checking out the thread(s) debating the benefits of recording at 96kHz - personally, I would regard that as overkill for nearly every situation I find myself in.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline nullcorp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
I would avoid anything with the M-Audio logo on it, personally. From cheap interfaces and MIDI controllers to the Microtrack, I'm pretty sure their name means "piece of junk" in Chinese.

I actually joined this forum to ask about replacements for my Microtrack II, which sometimes records nothing but white noise, sometimes locks up in a way that cannot be escaped until the battery drains, and sometimes decides to eat all the files on the CF card if I forget to format before the 2GB threshold is reached. And yes, I have updated the firmware.

The worst is that the internal battery has a 90-day warranty. That says it all. After about a year I'm lucky to get an hour of recording time on mine after a full charge. AVOID.

Offline TomBoisseau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »
I'll chime in here about the MTII since I've been through the ringer with different mishaps with it. 

First thing is it works a lot better when recording in 16/44.  It is quirky as hell in 24 bit mode.  I now just use it to record DAT's and it has no problems since I record in 16/44.  I only used the SPDIF connection so I can't speak to the 1/8 or 1/4 TRS type inputs

Totally agree it's a pain in the ass with having no backlight if you want to lock it, but I had a problem once when I locked it and it just shut off about 10 min into a show at 24/48, no rhyme or reason.  I figured it didn't like to be locked and with the CF card I used at the time (Kingston) it could have been the combo of the brand of CF card and locking the unit.

If recording in 24/48, at any given time it will not switch to a new file after 1.86gb's which is the max for one file in 24/48.  It will just stop as if you hit the record button to save the last file.  I've been through all kinds of CF cards, had tons of issues with Kingston so avoid that brand, and the most successful I got was with RiData brand high speed (133x speed).  The MTII needs a high speed CF card or it gets confused when switching to a new file and just saves the last file then stops.  Since it was like Russian Roulette I just finally gave up using it in the field and got a Marantz 661 which is quite larger than your typical bit bucket and more costly ($550) but it was well worth it.

The average going price for an MTII is $150, thought I saw Amazon selling them new for that price.  Like I said you'll be fine with recording in 16 bit.  Good luck with the MTII

Tom

I agree!

I had a lot of problems with my MicroTrack II, such as frequent lock ups and files that had no sound.  A friend of mine also has a MT II and has experianced similar problems.  That being said, it seems that just about all these issues happened when using the SPDIF input.  It appears to be reasonably reliable when using the analog inputs, howbeit rather noisey!

Too bad really!  It is an amazing full featured recorder that is easy to use.  If they could ever make it reliable, I'd buy another!  But for now, I replaced it with a Marantz PMD661.

Tom

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
I picked up an MT2 on eBay for $56.00. I figured since I have always had no problems with the MT 2496 that the MT2 with seamless splits would be good. However mine was useless, and I never could get it to work at all. I only tried at 24/48, and that was just a disaster. As I tried more things to get it to work, like upgrading or reinstalling the firmware, I finally got it's firmware to a point where it will not even boot up.  :-X So having had an MT 2496 since it's inception and like many others having had no problems at all since the third or firmware upgrade, I'd say it is very much better than the MT2. The backlight will stay lit if you choose. It will work as a bit bucket or analog (the 1/4 TRS jacks are much better than the 1/8 input though), but the splits are not seamless.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
Is it general for Microtrack 2496 while using external battery to not saving the file when battery ends and MT shut down? I know it needs some time to save the file even when I push to stop rec, so I guess I have no chance to get the file repaired or something, right?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Is it general for Microtrack 2496 while using external battery to not saving the file when battery ends and MT shut down? I know it needs some time to save the file even when I push to stop rec, so I guess I have no chance to get the file repaired or something, right?

If the MT shuts down when the battery dies it doesn't have a chance to write a file header but the info should still be on the card. There are several threads here on ts about how to recover seemingly lost files. See the Data Recovery and Corrupt or 0 byte file sections of this post for links.

My best advice is to do NOTHING with the card until you read some of those links.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com