Ditching Preamp for a battery box?

(1/4) > >>

ace5gt:
My Setup:
Sony PCM-M10
CA CAFS mics
CA 9200 Preamp
-12 db cable

Years ago I purchased the above setup and only recorded a few shows with it before life got busy and I stopped going to shows.  I want to now get back into taping, but would prefer to minimize the amount of stuff I need shove down my pants to get past security! ;D  I thought about selling my 9200 preamp and getting an Ugly battery box instead.  Is this a good idea?  Sorry, I never fully understood the tech aspect of these rigs, and whether or not I truly need the volume and gain settings provided by the preamp for rock concerts?

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
I've run similar with a battery box (substitute the mics to Countryman B3). No issues.

Here's a recording with the B3 > Church BB > M10 rig (with some post processing):

https://youtu.be/rv914EwZaUI

Ironically I almost got tagged by security going into the venue with this rig for that show...but mostly because I was being careless.

vanark:
A couple years ago, I ditched my CA-9100 preamp for a UBB and have been happy with the results. No regrets with the change.

CA-11c > UBB > M-10

dyneq:
IMO, a preamp may make sense if you record quieter genres of music and/or ambience/nature. The reason is that outboard preamps are generally quieter (less hiss), so during quiet passages you wouldn’t hear the noise as much.

For amplified music, a battery box is ideal for me.

ilduclo:
I record lots of quiet shows using dpa 4061’s to a 9v battery box to an m10. Works just great for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version