Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Panasonic 4k compact digital camera TZ100 (EU model) / ZS100 (US model)  (Read 46117 times)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
I shot a bunch of footage the other night of Jason Bonham which turn out excellent, especially considering i was ten feet from the back wall of the venue. The footage looks pretty damn good on my 55' LG.

I was wondering what settings you guys are using in movie mode and if your all shooting in 4k and then rendering down for youtube or your television. I received the camera in the mail an hour before the show so I wasn't able to read much of the manual, but i did notice you can only shoot 4k in mp4 mode, correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know if it is inherent of the image stabilization when shooting from a far distance but the footage looks like I filmed the band on a stiff tripod when I pan across the stage. It doesn't have a smooth feel to it. Could this be because I'm shooting a such a zoomed in setting or is this the norm with this kind of image stabilization?
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Image stabilization will fight against a pan,trying to grab onto something to stabilize.If panning better to not use IS,and if your using a tripod always turn off IS.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
Any recommendations on video tutorials for shooting concert video?
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
Any recommendations on video tutorials for shooting concert video?

I have a long, detailed tutorial somewhere that I wrote years ago; but it was really more for the earlier stealth days when you had to shoot with an old-school video camera.  These days, security isn't so much of an issue - you can actually pay much more attention to just shooting good video.

The main thing I would emphasize is holding the camera steady.  I find the best way to do this is to hold the camera up near my face and lock my elbows down by my sides (up against the rib cage).  Rather than turning my hands to pan, I prefer to hold the camera steady as previously described and pan by turning my body.  I find that I can maintain a really nice, steady shot this way.  I also try to keep a good awareness of what's happening on the stage itself - and not just what I can see in the view-finder.  So I maintain my camera position with my elbows locked down by my sides, and look around the rest of the stage by turning my eyes and head.  You just have to trust that you're getting a good shot even though you are NOT looking at the view-finder.  Obviously, you don't want to keep your eyes off the view-finder for an extended period.  When I am shooting while standing (which is usually the case), I also like to lean against something.  A wall is nice if there is one, but also the back of the seat in front of me also works.  Lastly, just accept the fact that to shoot a two hour show really well while standing up is going to take a lot of concentration and you're going to feel it in your body.  By the time I'm done, my knees are sore, back is stiff, and I sometimes I have a splitting headache from dehydration (I don't hydrate well before a show because then I'll have go pee really bad during the show).  It's just a matter of dedication.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline sckofelng

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
All recent KoRn, Iron Maiden, Slayer and Gojira shots are done with the TZ100! KoRn (which turned out good imo because of the good mix) and Maiden have (not so good due to much echo in the stadium) have cam audio due to my mics fucking up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/blubbaiu

I hope to bring you more samples from Rock Im Park this weekend in the following week!
Audio rig:
AT853 (w/ lowsensmod) > SP-SB11 > Sony PCM-M10

Video:
Panasonic DMC-TZ200 (manual settings)
Panasonic DMC-LX100 (manual settings)

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
Thanks for the tips guitard.  Especially about locking the elbows in.  Luckily most show I will be using a tripod.

As far as settings go, are y'all typically using auto or manual focus?  What about metering...center weighted or spot?
www.texastapers.org

Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
I use full manual when doing video and or photo myself but not everyone understands what to do so....

If you must use auto for video Center weighted will be better choice than Spot metering.(But if shooting manual no metering mode is used as you set the exposure yourself.)

Since you are using tripod i would also recommend not using Auto focus,since you seem to be doing a locked full stage shot  i would obtain focus in manual mode and leave it.Also if using tripod turn OFF any Image stabilization.

Also for video the normal shutter speed should be set and kept at 1/60 at 30fps,1/48 at 24fps,1/120 at 60p(1/125 may be only selectable choice)

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers
I had planned on panning and zooming on Saturday.  The first time I zoomed I saw it lose focus pretty quickly.  Decided for a static shot for that night until I was comfortable with all my settings.
www.texastapers.org

Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Against Me! covering The Clash. Manual video mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfBm_e7N9_A

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
I haven't done rock concert videos but I've shot some fairly large production hula shows with Lumix gear - lately two GH4s on tripods. Having two cams is a huge plus, of course, because I can set one camera wide and use one to follow the action.

Shooting one camera I would definitely shoot 4k, frame the whole stage, and leave it there. I would use manual focus to prevent hunting. I would use manual white balance, set to tungsten or about 3500 Kelvin, to prevent color shifts when stage lighting changes. I would use manual exposure or shutter priority.

Then I'd deliver in 720, which lets me zoom in substantially without any loss in quality. And once I'm zoomed I can pan.

The "180 degree rule" for shutter speed might be a little less than a rule. It's based on traditional film technology, and the details of digital imaging are quite different. It's worth a lot to do plenty of test shots to learn how different shutter speeds change the image. Of course, a slower shutter increases motion blur, so there's a definite lower limit, but some folks prefer something slower than the traditional 180 degree choice.

Fran

Offline leehookem

• Texas Tapers

Is that audio from the camera, or is it synced with an external source?
www.texastapers.org

Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member

Is that audio from the camera, or is it synced with an external source?

I replaced the audio with my external mic source using multi-track sync in Premiere.

If you're curious what the camera can do, here is the raw file from the camera of this performance (Warning, it's 4k and big...2.3gb) https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1wau2q8qhcz0hc/P1010609.MP4?dl=0

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
I shot a bunch of footage the other night of Jason Bonham which turn out excellent, especially considering i was ten feet from the back wall of the venue. The footage looks pretty damn good on my 55' LG.

I was wondering what settings you guys are using in movie mode and if your all shooting in 4k and then rendering down for youtube or your television. I received the camera in the mail an hour before the show so I wasn't able to read much of the manual, but i did notice you can only shoot 4k in mp4 mode, correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know if it is inherent of the image stabilization when shooting from a far distance but the footage looks like I filmed the band on a stiff tripod when I pan across the stage. It doesn't have a smooth feel to it. Could this be because I'm shooting a such a zoomed in setting or is this the norm with this kind of image stabilization?

I only used it once as well in a concert setting, but it did seem to me as though the stabilization was a bit better in 1080p mode vs 4k mode. I did just find this in the manual which seems to confirm my findings (There's a stabilization feature that does not work in 4k mode, page 235 of the manual..."The 5-axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer function is not available when recording motion pictures for
which [Rec Quality] is set to either [4K/100M/30p] or [4K/100M/24p]."):
http://imgur.com/DidyyFi

Also, you mentioned choppiness when panning...there also appears to be a stabilization setting dedicated to panning motion. Page 234 of the manual:
http://imgur.com/FelSC4x

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
What are you guys using to convert your videos if you're shooting in 4k?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:29:02 PM by neutrino »
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
^ I use Sony Vegas Pro 13.  You need a fairly powerful computer.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com