Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording My Own Band & Other Projects  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recording My Own Band & Other Projects
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:05:10 PM »
Still think you should try what gutbucket and I both suggested. Place the H4n (or Q8) at the stage lip and then take a line out from the mixer (a copy of the mix being sent to the main PA speakers) and add that, they are both 4 channel recorders. The internal mics on the Zoom will capture content from the stage, the line in will capture what is low or missing from the stage. Then afterwards you adjust the balance between them to your liking. This will significantly improve the quality of your recordings without any additional gear and without worrying about unattended gear in the audience.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline ChiroVette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: Today at 01:43:21 PM »
Still think you should try what gutbucket and I both suggested. Place the H4n (or Q8) at the stage lip and then take a line out from the mixer (a copy of the mix being sent to the main PA speakers) and add that, they are both 4 channel recorders. The internal mics on the Zoom will capture content from the stage, the line in will capture what is low or missing from the stage. Then afterwards you adjust the balance between them to your liking. This will significantly improve the quality of your recordings without any additional gear and without worrying about unattended gear in the audience.

This sounds like a great idea. I had initially dismissed it mentally because it sounded a helluva lot more complicated than it actually is when you guys suggested it, and I was trying to simplify as much as possible. I just have to look at the Q8 and see what the Line in is, whether it is 1/4 inch, XLR, or 1/8" stereo. Since everything is going through the mixer, especially when I am playing live with my backing tracks, and my guitar goes right into the mixer via my Fractal FM9. For some reason, I misinterpreted what you guys were saying as using the mixer to record, which would send the audio to my iPad via Wifi, since it's a Mackie DL-1608. But you guys are actually talking about using the Q8 or H4N to take a line from the mixer. lol Not sure why I missed that.

I am playing again in a couple of weeks, and will try that.   

I don't have the Zoom in front of me at the moment, until I get home, but there are four input or record LED lights on the unit, and usually only the two top lights are lit, which I assume is the stereo signal from the onboard mics. I never really gave it much thought what those other two red LEDs are for, but since reading your post, I am going to assume that they indicate the line in, which in this case, would be from the mixer.

Thanks again! This is what I am going to do. I suppose if I am still not 100% happy with the quality of the recording, a good next step would be buying a pair of decent mics for the Zoom. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:37:29 PM »
The next step will be managing the feed from SBD to recorder.

I just looked up the Q8 Handy Recorder.  In addition to the built-in X/Y mic pair the Q8 features a pair of TRS/XLR combo jacks.  That means you can run a pair of XLR or 1/4" plug cables to the recorder from the SBD.  Note: Those are the only inputs on the Q8 other than its built-in mics, so if you do use external microphones into the Q8, which it appears capable of supporting, you will not be able to also record SBD into it at the same time. [edit- but no worries, just keep it simple with the built-in mics + SBD]

I also just looked up the Mackie DL-1608.  At that end you'll need to send the feed to the Q8 using a pair of it's AUX outs (1/4" jacks).  You'll either just additionally route the same main-out mix to that AUX pair (this will be simplest, if doing so is an option on the mackie), or make a separate AUX mix.  A separate AUX mix allows you to either essentially duplicate the same main mix that is being sent to the PA through the main outs (second simplest, try that next if you can't send the main mix to AUX), or make a somewhat different AUX mix from what is being sent to the PA, which might be useful if after doing this once or twice you determine you'd like a bit more vocals and less bass, or whatever, in the SBD recording.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:41:05 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #33 on: Today at 04:49:30 PM »

You want the fast lane to significantly better recordings?  Follow this advice from jefflester, great post man

You already have the advantage of being the musician, because you have "better than a taper's chance" to get the sound engineer to send a board signal up through the snake to your recorder

You'll have less post- processing, no time-alignment if you run on stage, easy mixing

Nobody sane is going to risk a punt in the face from you if they disturb your gear, it's right there close

Play on and make great tapes  :djsmilie:

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com