Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone run dpa 4060s on a stand?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
anyone run dpa 4060s on a stand?
« on: December 02, 2003, 01:42:37 PM »
i know some of you use dpa 4060s for stealth, mounting them in hats or on your ears or whatever, but do any of you use them as a spaced pair on a stand?  how do you mount them, and how well do omnis work vs cards/hypers?  do any of you use them in a studio setting for acoustic instruments?  thanks.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:anyone run dpa 4060s on a stand?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 02:07:50 PM »
i've never run them, but i know it's been done...check the rig pictures section...i think "nickspicks" posted pictures of him mounting them on a "stand."  

I also believe that Doug Oade recently used 4060's inside acoustic guitars and brass instruments during widespread panic's recent run at the HOB in Myrtle, which was being recorded.  there is more information on things he did in the forum over at oade.com.  

EDIT: Here is a link to the rig pictures thread: 4071's A-B on stand
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:09:51 PM by dmonterisi »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 03:23:29 PM »
I think he called it "not too Sanford and Son"... classic

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 03:34:55 PM »
:lol:

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 05:19:18 PM »
I've run 4061's on a stand a few times.  I just attached an 18" dowel rod (small dia wood or plastic) to a cheap mic clamp and used the aligator clips to mount the mics on the ends.  Worked great & was cheap.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 01:31:38 PM »
The guy that got me into taping ran 4060s on a stand.  He actually had a piece of wood with one of those 5/8" adapters in the middle, and he taped the mics to each end of the wood.  They were spaced about 2-2.5 feet apart.  Looked hilarious up on a stand (we called it the ghetto mount) but he's made some pretty good tapes from them...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 12:53:46 PM »
When I first got my 4060's, I liked them so much that I started running them all of the time in place of my AKGC4000's.  What I found when using these mics on a stand, was that outdoors they smoke, but anything indoors tends to come out real boomy.  I'm sure if you're doing jazz stuff in venues that are acoustically good, they'll turn out great, but rock shows in mediocre venues tend to really bring out the worst in the sound of the room.  Even in an amphitheatre type setting, you'll find that they work better on the lawn than they will in the section behind the board in the pavillion.  That being said, I've gotten lots of stealth tapes that have turned out sweet with these mics doing rock shows indoors, but I think you'll find that their ideal setting in an open taping situation will be out of doors.    

Offline timP

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 01:07:05 PM »
nice... could be just the way for me to get going.......
?>FR2LE

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 08:11:10 AM »
that is why I went w/the 4071 elements vs. the 4061.  The 71's have a built in roll off that totaly eliminated the "omni boom" affect so common to the 406x series.

The 5' spacer I built w/the radio shack parts was the shit.  It looked a little funny, but commanded respect!
:0

No matter, it worked *very* well.  I never had the chacne to run it outside, but I bet it would have kicked ass.  It really pulled some nice recordings indoors, much to my surprise.

I found that anything less than a 2' spread just didn't sound nearly as full as the 3-5' spacings I was using.  

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 09:55:16 AM »
>> That being said, I've gotten lots of stealth tapes that have turned out sweet with these mics doing rock shows indoors<<

u2 6-17-01! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com