Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Pick your favorite

Schoeps mk22
6 (10.5%)
Schoeps mk21
10 (17.5%)
Schoeps mk4
9 (15.8%)
Schoeps mk41
17 (29.8%)
Microtech Gefell m200
15 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Schoeps mk22 vs mk21 vs mk4 vs mk41  (Read 18315 times)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Schoeps mk22 vs mk21 vs mk4 vs mk41
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
Cool, thanks I'll check that out.

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
thanks for the comp...cant wait to dive in later  ;D

ive owned all these caps including the 4v's and 2S's except the 22s and i found i liked them in this order
21, 41, 4v, 2S, 4

without listening id probably go with the 21/22  >:D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
marking thread to listen tonight..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:19 PM »
I have to say that the Gefell recording sounds remarkably more vibrant and full of life across the frequency board...
but since it's the only one using a V3, it's hard to say how they compare.

Out of the schoeps recordings, I preferred the 21's, but next to the Gefells, there's no comparison.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
All this good stuff about the gefells and v3 pairing.
Make him an offer.  ;D

Next time it may be wise to leave the gefells out of the comp  ;D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline andyjah

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 08:08:25 PM »
Just posted this over on gearslutz as well. Stir up a little more conversation.

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
For this comp I liked the 21's due to the larger low end pick up. 

Would definitely like to hear a comp of the 21's and 22's at an outdoor festival type set up in the Impact Zone.
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 02:34:22 AM »
Jason,
If you need a V3 in the future you can ask me.

Simon
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline dandecoop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
How's the Schoeps mics do on singing vocals?  I've got a couple Sony professional EX1R video cameras and a Sound Device 24 bit 8 track 788T recorder and might purchase 4 of the MK 41's for recording acustic guitars and vocals seperatly and then mixing in post.  Is there a better mic you all could recommend for singing vocals as I could just buy two Schoeps MK 41's for the guitars and two of some other kind for the vocals.  I am looking more so towards the 41's as I would like to like to concentrate the mic on a single instrument rather than the whole show at about 14 to 18 inches from the guitar.  The performers will still be using their own dynamic mics for the PA system so will not be able to get any closer to the instruments or vocals.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
I missed this comp when it was original posted.  Excellent job!  Ah, the lure of on stage and stage lip recording; how they make even excellent PA recordings sound like crap.

I have owned all of those mics at the same time, except the mk22's.

It reminds me why I have my mg200's, V3, and mk21's, and the conflict that arises whenever I think of selling any one of those.  The clarity, detail and soundstage of the v3 really shines on stage or stage lip.  We could quibble about patterns; for the mk21's especially, I would have leaned toward NOS or splitting them (2 or 3 feet, depending on stage config, etc).  It's also a great reminder of why people "bother" with full bodied mg200's.

While the mk21's do have more low end, that isn't their primary attraction for me.  The big draw is their more natural and realistic presentation (especially split outdoors).  I can't get that with any card or hyper.  Of course there are a lot of indoor situations where the subcard pattern produces a result that isn't sufficiently crisp.

On a somewhat different topic, I'm curious how much gain was added on the v3, and on the r44 recordings.  On-stage is typically loud, so I assume not much.  There have been some recent posts suggesting pre-amps are not sonically necessary with modern recorders, that they don't add anything; that adding gain at the recorder is just as good.   While that is not the focus of this comp, the result does hint at why many of us "bother" with pre-amps despite having recorders with specs that look entirely adequate.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
On a somewhat different topic, I'm curious how much gain was added on the v3, and on the r44 recordings.  On-stage is typically loud, so I assume not much.  There have been some recent posts suggesting pre-amps are not sonically necessary with modern recorders, that they don't add anything; that adding gain at the recorder is just as good.   While that is not the focus of this comp, the result does hint at why many of us "bother" with pre-amps despite having recorders with specs that look entirely adequate.

This was a while ago, and Rob and Andy were running the R-44's, so I don't know how much gain was applied on the decks.  However, I know from years of taping d'Elf at this venue, that with the Gefells > V3, I always ran somewhere in the 26-28dB of gain (big knob at +25, and then another few dB of gain with the trim knobs).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
Interesting to revisit this and listen for the imaging differences determined by the mic spacing as well as the different cap flavors.

I seriously dig this band.
Big thanks for this 4way comp, but huge thanks for all the great LMA'd recordings, Jason.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com