Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Silica desiccant packets storage?  (Read 15667 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Silica desiccant packets storage?
« on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
So I've decided to finally start using these, and have chosen the indicating but non-reusable type.  My question is, if I buy in bulk on ebay, say 300 packets or so, how do I store these packets without letting them get used up while in storage?  Will storing them in a plastic tupperware type container be sufficient, or should I try to just buy packets that are individually wrapped and sealed in plastic?  That seems to be the ideal situation, but I'm not sure if these bulk packets can be bought or found individually wrapped. 

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
Re: Silica desiccant packets storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
I used to buy these by the thousands at work - they came in all sizes and quantities.  They would arrive in a ~18" square box and there would be a zillion of the packets inside a big plastic bag (we bought ones that were ~3-4" square, so bigger than what usually comes in items you buy as we were using them for electronic items operated along a creek in a very humid/wet environment).  We simply stored them in the bag and box in our office and never had any problem storing and using them for 2+ years.  Basically it's just like osmosis - they want to suck moisture out of the surrounding environment, so keep them in an environment that has limited moisture.  Simply storing them in tupperware or sealed ziplock bags in a closet or other relatively dry place in your house would be fine - the amount of moisture they will be exposed to when you occasionally open the container up to get a few will not affect their long term performance.  Don't bother trying to find them individually wrapped or sealed - this will just cost you a bunch more and it is wasteful and unnecessary additional packaging.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »
Perfect!  Thanks for the info, just ordered a 20 pack of 10 gram indicating silica packets on ebay for $13... not too shabby.  8)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »
If you know an electrician, they get hundreds of these per year packed in with new lighting fixtures. You could also hit up a shoe store as they come in lots of new shoe boxes. all should be free.

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »
i get a handful of em every month from lowes they come with all sorts of stuff lamps hampers etc...  if you have a gun safe throw a few of em in there too.  change mine every other month for the mics n guns. 
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Can't you just throw the packets in the over and let them bake out the moisture and them reuse them?

I throw some around my wood working equipment and in my tool box to keep the moisture under control.
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »
If you know an electrician, they get hundreds of these per year packed in with new lighting fixtures. You could also hit up a shoe store as they come in lots of new shoe boxes. all should be free.

These are all good ideas but I am OCD and cannot feel satisfied without indicating silica.  :P

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »
Can't you just throw the packets in the oven and let them bake out the moisture and them reuse them?

AFAIK, yes. 

The silica gel material will swell as it absorbs moisture, so a swollen packet indicates 'full'.  Chuck one in a glass of water to see it swell up, then stick it in the oven, or better yet a dehydrator and see if it shrinks down again.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:23:36 PM »
  I used to use silica gel a lot when I was still working in the chemical industry.  The only issue with silica is whether or not the packaging it comes in can withstand the oven temperature, the gel itself is OK to even high temperatures. 

You can "reactivate" it for practical use as a dessicant by by putting it in an oven for a few hours or so at 250F.    Just stick one on a paper plate to test it in a preheated oven, and watch it so it does not turn into a stinking mess.   If the packaging does not start to puddle within a reasonable time it should be fine.
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
i get a handful of em every month from lowes they come with all sorts of stuff lamps hampers etc...  if you have a gun safe throw a few of em in there too.  change mine every other month for the mics n guns. 

or buy a gun safe dehumidifier. mine gets hot in my safe....and sometimes i worry about that.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »
for future reference, there are indicating and non-indicating available here-- as well as loose silica pellets and more of the like:
http://www.silicagelpackets.com
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
Here's a four pack for $22.50 that you can microwave to regenerate. 

http://desiccantsonline.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=287
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
Nice find on that one-- but be aware, I've read that the blue > pink indicating gels contain some serious carcinogens and stuff that really is very bad for the enviorment.  Many places (including my link) are offering a new orange > green indicator that does now have any (known) harmful ingredients.  </P.S.A.>
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »
^
Good to know.  Have you seen any orange/green ones that you can regenerate, like the ones in my link?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
This one kind of is: http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dry-packs-canister/

The thing about indicating ones is that many of them cannot be reactivated on account of the fact that the packet in which they are enclosed must be a clear plastic, which consiquently, will not hold up to oven temperatures. 

Another option for the creatively inclined might be to buy some loose gel (here) and make your own little thing.  You might even be able to sell a few on here and make back a fair amount of the costs.

EDIT to add:  Just did some math... that 4.5lb bag of loose gel is equal to just over 1,800 grams-- enough to make fourty 40gram ones (which is the size you found).  So, not counting the cost of the container that would hold the gel, it looks like for roughly twice the cost of the toxic indicating gel you linked ($54.99 for 4.5lbs of loose gel vs. $22.50 for four 40gram cases), you can buy 10 times as much safe incidating gel and make your own.  (or if you're feeling really rich and saucy, buy the 55lbs bag and get 24,947 grams... enough for 623 40gram ones...  not counting the cost of the container, that would make each 40gram desiccant device cost about 50cents...)

Also found this:
70 cubic inches - 1/2 gram
100 cubic inches - 3/4 gram
130 cubic inches - 1 gram
389 cubic inches - 3 grams
648 cubic inches - 5 grams
1296 cubic inches - 10 grams
2 cubic feet - 28 grams
4 cubic feet - 56 grams
8 cubic feet - 112 grams
15 cubic feet - 200 grams
33 cubic feet - 450 grams
66 cubic feet - 900 grams

2nd EDIT: Just now finding out that the blue > pink indicators are apparently dangerous enough that new European regulations are banning / restricting the use and sale of them.... I really think we all would do well to avoid the blue > pink indicators!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:51:09 PM by travelinbeat »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com